Working Moms
Options

Do you go out to eat w/ LO during the week?

I find eating out during the week kind of crazy.  There are only a few hours we have with DD and trying to squeeze in a dinner out makes things really, really rushed.

My IL's are visiting, and they want to go out more than not.  We went out last night and it was okay.  As soon as I got home from work, we went out to dinner, then my MIL spent at least half the time chasing DD around the restaurant and when we got home it was bedtime :(  

I think they feel like cooking and washing dishes are too big of a chore, but I find being home so much more relaxing!

Re: Do you go out to eat w/ LO during the week?

• Options

no - I can't imagine.

We will go out w/ DD on Friday nights if we can get out of work a little early and go quickly straight from daycare  - for something like Mexican or burgers.  We normally get home right around bath/dinner time.

Frankly though - when DD gets home from daycare, she wants to play and climb - sitting in a chair is not fun for her by any measure and its just stressful for us.  I'm hoping in a few months, she'll be better about sitting in the chair, but for right now, she's too squimy for a booster and hates the high chair - so she ends up sitting on our laps or next to me w/ me holding on to her with a death grip and hoping she doesn't climb out of the chair.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

It depends on the kid and where you go.

Every couple weeks, DD and I go to Friendly's for dinner while DH golfs. DD is really good, probably because I have 100% attention on her. I bring all kinds of toys to entertain her. It's also a kid-friendly spot, so I am completely relaxed. I really enjoy it.

At about your daughter's age, my folks celebrated their 25th anniversary at a fancy downtown spot. It was ending after DD's bedtime, but my folks insisted she come. It was a nightmare. DH and I spent the whole night chasing her around, keeping her quiet. We were praised up and down that she was so well behaved, but keeping that appearance was very stressful.

It really depends on the kid's developmental stage and personality, as well as the venue. I can see why you'd not want to do it given the crowd, DD's age and that you are very pregnant.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    trinnytrinny member
    imageKathrynMD:

Frankly though - when DD gets home from daycare, she wants to play and climb - sitting in a chair is not fun for her by any measure and its just stressful for us.  I'm hoping in a few months, she'll be better about sitting in the chair

Ditto-- it isn't really chasing her around the restaurant, but if there isn't food in front of her, she wants to explore and play, not sit and wait for our order or the bill.

• Options
    It is rare that we go out to dinner at all these days. DS just is not into sitting in a chair after about 4 pm. So we go out for lunch instead or we go at 2-3 in the afternoon when not many people are out. Being home is way easier!
  • Options

Sometimes but generally it's fast - either sushi, pizza or casual mexican (Moe's which is like Qdoba or Chipotle).  We don't do a real dinner out with the kids except on Friday or Sat night.

Compromise and do take out?

• Options
    We hardly ever go out to eat anymore, especially during the week.  DD is on the move all the time now.  It is hard enough to get her to sit still at home for 10 minutes to eat her dinner!  Our last few meals out were horrible so we have given up going out for the time being.  Maybe she will be willing to sit still a little longer in 6 months or so. 
  • Options

At the age DS is, going out is often so much of a chore, we'd rather stay in.

I have NO qualms calling the "kid card", though.  my ILs love to go out and eat and will often suggest is. DH and I will say w/o hestiation "Sorry- we can't." for whatever DS related reason. 

They'll deal!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    If we take her out to eat, it's for lunch, rarely dinner. And we go to somewhere quick where we don't have to spend much time waiting for food to appear. We did try to take her to dinner at a very child-friendly Mexican restaurant a few weeks ago and it did not go well. She's tired and cranky at the end of the day and doesn't want to be confined to her chair. Heck - I can barely keep her in her chair at home during mealtimes. It's no fun to eat out with her at this stage so we save our dinners out for nights when we have a sitter. I hope it gets better soon!
  • Options
    We try to do it once a week.  Something easy - even if it is at the mall. Just to get them used to eating out in a restaurant.
  • Options

It's been a while.  The last few times we've gone we have had to leave because our (almost) two year old was ruining other people's evening.  It's so much more relaxing and fun to eat at home.  Plus, my cooking is so much tastier than the restaurants we can afford to eat at. 

• Options

Not if I can help it!  We don't really go out to eat though, especially with the kids.  It isn't fun, generally isn't healthy, and costs more money than cooking at home. 

My ILs were in town at the beginning of the week too.  I just had dinner planned and cooked it and DH did the dishes just like normal.  If I just have dinner planned and start it no one can argue.  I kept it simple though one night we had grilled salmon with risotto, salad, cut up fresh peaches, and cauliflower.  The other night we had grilled steak/chicken with salad, grilled corn on the cob, and watermelon.

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options

It might be fun for them, but it's stressful for you! 

My kids both go to bed EARLY...like 6-7 p.m.  Bathtime starts for DS around 5:30ish.  From about 4:30 onwards, they're starting to get tired, hungry, and crabby.  Cooping them up in high chairs and making them wait for food and a bill at a restaurant is asking for trouble.  If we go out, we go out for lunch or we go out to dinner at 4 or 4:30 so that the food is on the table before they're too tired and hungry.

When my parents are in town, their choices are either go out at 4:30 or go get take-out after the kids are in bed if they don't want to eat at home.  Generally, they will go get take-out.  I know they feel badly about us cooking and cleaning for extra people and they want to make things easier on us, so that's why they suggest eating out or carrying in.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Nope. Too much hassle and too many people @ night. If we don't want to cook we will order in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If my commute wasn't so long I probably wouldn't mind it so much. When I leave work I just want to get home and relax and get DD settled in for the night.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rcbukorcbuko member

We have a different work schedule than most people (start work around 3 and end at around midnight).  Even so, we do take DD to lunch sometimes on days that we work.  She goes to Gymboree twice a week and sometimes we will go out to lunch after the class.  We also will take her out sometimes if we are running errands.  

I think our schedule is a little more conducive to going out without it being much of a disturbance.  She gets home at the latest just in time for her nap and then we go to work.  She goes down for the night while we are at work.  She is awake and in the middle of her day when we take her out.  

I think I feel opposite than you about going out.  When we are out running errands, I sometimes find it easier to just go out to eat rather than getting home and rushing to get her fed before I go to work. DD has just started to be a bit more difficult at restaurants though . . .  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Options
    The time doesn't bother me, although going out does take out most of the time between getting home and DS going to bed.  I just don't find going out to eat with DS very relaxing lately.  It's been better now that it's nice out.  We've got a few local places with big patio space and if we get there early, we can get a spot with a little room for DS to play with trucks and things.  But, yeah, I'd rather eat at home most of the time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have gone to Friendlys with DD, my sister and niece right after work, but DH and I would not go out with DD together during the week. By the time we both get home, it's almost time to get L ready for bed.

• Options
    What is funny is I never really gave this much thought.  But now that you point it out, we're the exact same way. I can honestly not remember the last time we took DD out to dinner.  I think we went to QDoba about a month ago and it didn't go so well.  My in laws ALWAYS want to eat out b/c they're ultra-picky and apparently don't like my cooking ; )  (just my FIL actually).  It's a PITA.  They don't get how hard and un-fun it is for us to keep her marginally well-behaved.  I hope she turns a corner soon.  I miss going to dinner!
  • Options
    Eli is a very well behaved little boy, I feel very blessed. We try to eat out at least once a month. Somethimes it works, and sometimes it fails but we tried and that's it. We want to do it before a baby girl comes, because we will not be able to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"