Natural Birth

_____mghnmouse _____

I have questions on UC (just out of curiousity).  Do you want me to PM you or can I post them here (don't want to start a flame war).

Re: _____mghnmouse _____

• imagemomofolivia:

I have questions on UC (just out of curiousity).  Do you want me to PM you or can I post them here (don't want to start a flame war).

Which ever you feel comfortable with Big Smile I am more than happy to answer questions, but if you feel like you can be more candid via PM, please send it to me that way. Wink

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Oh I'm fine to post - I jsut didn't want to put you out there since it is so controversial.

Just wondering how and why you decided to do a UC?  Is this your first?  Do you go to prenatal appointments?  Do you have concerns about issues and have things in place in case there is an issue?

thanks for humoring me!

• Loading the player...
  • I understand that UC is controversial, but I also strongly feel information about UC needs to be shared, so I will bare the burden Wink

I really have to say that my path to UC was something that was meant to be, it crossed into my path. I was not even interested in having a child (not anytime soon) at the beginning of last summer. Though I did know that I was VERY interested in midwifery as a career. But then I interned with an amazing group of women, birth advocates putting on a production of Birth (the play by Karen Brody), running a red tent, and having a birth fair along with the whole event. This was their second time doing this, and it had grown. The play is amazing, a red tent is just wonderful and breath taking. I got to see for the first time real women that were taking birth back, if you will. The ways in which these women had given birth was all over the spectrum, their were c-sections, hospital vaginals, inductions, VBAC's, homebirths, and unassited's. They were not against any one group or procedure, but rather for making birth about the experience, something that the woman should control in conjunction with her chosen care provider. But I felt an instant connection with another woman that had been with the group from the beginning, she was there this year with her newborn son, her 4th child, all born at home, the last 2 unassisted but this one in the water. This clicked with me, and my fears about childbirth seemed to ease and my mind opened.

It was an enlightening summer and I began to think about what I would want if I were to "own a birth" of my own. What felt right to me? What did my heart and mind agree on? What was it about birth that had previously scared me? What fascinated me? It was then I took the things that I had learned and probably doubled that amount through research. I read everything that I could get my hands on. Which is something that I continue to do.

Now fast forward 5 months and I have a BFP...

So yes, this will be our first and we are very excited. We are also UPing (unassisted pregnancy) and my DH (a nurse) and I, are managing my prenatal "care" focusing on overall health and well-being, including nutrition and exercise (yoga, walking and my normal routines as far as daily activities). We monitor my weight, BP, etc and I dip stick test my urine every 2-3 weeks. I also see a chiropractor weekly. We did have an U/S although I was against it, but as this is DH's first baby too, I cannot be against compromise on every front. (I will not have another one, even in subsequent pregnancies.)

As far as my concerns about issues, here is my mindset, I can think through "what can happen" now, do my research and decide how I would want to react in that situation, whether it be to change what I am doing, react in some particular way, or even to transfer. Most of the things that can go wrong I feel are over-reacted to in the hospital, or must be by a MW due to laws or malpractice. Therefore in most "issue" situations I have done my research and come up with my "plan" for them, usually nothing more than changing my plan of attack, not transferring. Of course I do know that there are some true emergency situations and cicumstances, and we will transfer to the only hospital in town that I would trust. I do not pretend that something can't or won't go wrong I just try to be prepared and if that is a bridge I must cross I will, but I cannot borrow trouble by focusing on these what-ifs, especially once my time comes.

I have also compiled what I call an amazing birth team, my DH, my best friend, the woman I befriended that had her newborn UC last year, one of the best Doulas in my state (IMHO) and me Wink

Sorry this is sooo long Tongue Tied And no problem... momofolivia! I do not mind answering questions, I feel that I ask way more than I can answer, so when i can share something I feel better about the 10 million questions I have asked, LOL

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"