South Florida Babies
Options

Shower recs needed

I know it is a very common question, but I'm looking for something very specific... and am not coming up with anything too affordable.

Like I've mentioned, I want to do a cocktail party with open bar and hordourvs only.  Again, like I said, SIL is doing the same, and the restaurant she's doing it at is offering 2-4-1 drinks... so I'm looking for something similar.  

I am trying to contact Red Fish Grill but haven't gotten through to their Catering Dept... plus, I'm pretty sure they are way out of our budget.  I just got info from Rusty Pelican and with our guest list, it is way over budget, unfortunately.  Ideally, I'd love a clubhouse/social room where we can take our own stuff, but don't know anyone with a room large enough (so far, guest list is at 130).

Any suggestions?  

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Shower recs needed

• Options
    We went to a coed baby shower (the one with the Merengue band I mentioned in another post) at St. Michael's on Flagler.  Apparently they have a hall.  Our friends were able to bring in their own food, liquor, etc. I'm not sure about any details beyond that. There were over 100 people there.  GL finding a place!
  • Options
    Cool, thanks!
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    holy crap, jackie.  both my showers had no more than 24 people! 
  • Options
    imagebritishbride05:
    Jen - both DH and I have HUGE families, and since I want a co-ed party, the guest list is astronomical!  Even if it were women only, it would be at least 80 people.  Remember, my wedding was 350+ guests, and that was majority family.  
    Can you understand now my stress!  I want to have something nice, but with a smaller budget, and all these people have to attend.  I am really considering not having a shower.  I am really stressing myself out here!

What do you guys think of Tarpon Bend in Miracle Mile?  Cheesy?  I called and got a prelim quote and I think they are pretty reasonable.  It would be something like 6pm to 10pm on a Sat. 
    -- Jackie
  • Options
    By the way, I know some of you may think it is tacky for me to plan my own shower... for events, I'm a little OCD, and like things my way.  LOL  Once I get the location squared away, I'll pass the baton over to my sisters.  : )
    -- Jackie
  • Options
    our 1st shower was at the aerosquadron....$25 pp and that included sangria, brunch and dessert, it was co-ed and around 50 people. for our 2nd shower i want something smaller, just women. mady's godfather offered his mom's place, she has a nice backyard and we're doing it there. simple...the theme will be chocolate/white chocolate with hints of aqua. i cant wait :)
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageCesEve99:
    our 1st shower was at the aerosquadron....$25 pp and that included sangria, brunch and dessert, it was co-ed and around 50 people. for our 2nd shower i want something smaller, just women. mady's godfather offered his mom's place, she has a nice backyard and we're doing it there. simple...the theme will be chocolate/white chocolate with hints of aqua. i cant wait :)

I had my bridal shower at the AeroSquadron and loved it!  The food and service was amazing.  With the amount of people we have, it is way over budget.  : (

Honestly, I think I have given up, and am just going to not have a shower!  I know I am being a baby, but I want something a certain way, and if I can't have it that way, then I don't want something half-a$$ I may regret later.  : (

-- Jackie
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

imageCesEve99:

I had my bridal shower at the AeroSquadron and loved it!  The food and service was amazing.  With the amount of people we have, it is way over budget.  : (

Honestly, I think I have given up, and am just going to not have a shower!  I know I am being a baby, but I want something a certain way, and if I can't have it that way, then I don't want something half-a$$ I may regret later.  : (

Don't think of it that way!  Just remember not to go overboard b/c you have two little ones on the way and don't want to overspend on the shower when they are going to need so much.  You know that was my same issue with the co-ed party - the amount of people on the guestlist. As it is, I'm at almost 60 women we're inviting to my house.  So, if they brought their husbands, too, we wouldn't be able to afford the cost of the food/drinks.   The coed shower I attended on Saturday was at the MTBs mom's house.  There were about 60 guests so it worked out for them and they had the food catered.  It was a very nice event.  

• Options

I'm beginning to consider hosting it at my house, but the problem is that 1) my yard sucks (the pool deck is nasty, I have no roof/terrace, and the grass is super patchy), 2) too many for inside the house, 3) Aug is HOT.  There really isn't an idea pleace for a tent either (my house is angled on the lot, o the spacing is strange).

MIL's house is not a house for entertainment.  Parent's house is ideal, but they are going through some repairs (house is a mess) that won't be done by the time shower comes around.  I've gone through the list and considered everyone's home on the list!  LOL

It is just so hard when you envision something "perfect" in your mind, and you can't achieve it. 

I know I didn't want to charge for the shower (even though it is customary in my circle), but how about I charge $20/couple... rather economical, right?  This can help with our budget, and get me where I want to be.  Thoughts?  Be honest!

-- Jackie
  • Options

Have you considered a hotel ballroom, meeting room, or something like that? I went to a baby shower at a Marriot once and it was really nice. You may be able to keep the cost down with just beer, wine, and appetizers.

Also, my BIL got married at the Fire something. A Fireman's museum place somewhere around here and it was a STEAL for them. And that was with everything wedding related. Their hall is really nice. I wish I could remember what it was called.

Don't lose hope! Have you checked into friend's development's clubhouses? You would have to provide your own drinks and food but the location would be cheaper.

Also, Blackpoint Marina has a nice restaurant there. Its no Red Fish but its a nice area and has a bar.

*thinking, thinking, thinking....*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

I'm beginning to consider hosting it at my house, but the problem is that 1) my yard sucks (the pool deck is nasty, I have no roof/terrace, and the grass is super patchy), 2) too many for inside the house, 3) Aug is HOT.  There really isn't an idea pleace for a tent either (my house is angled on the lot, o the spacing is strange).

MIL's house is not a house for entertainment.  Parent's house is ideal, but they are going through some repairs (house is a mess) that won't be done by the time shower comes around.  I've gone through the list and considered everyone's home on the list!  LOL

It is just so hard when you envision something "perfect" in your mind, and you can't achieve it. 

I know I didn't want to charge for the shower (even though it is customary in my circle), but how about I charge $20/couple... rather economical, right?  This can help with our budget, and get me where I want to be.  Thoughts?  Be honest!

why does it have to be in aug? we are both due in november and i was thinking of skipping summer mths and having it beginning oct or end of sept. granted it will still be hot but i'm hoping more dry than rainy.

• Options
    Eve, I think because she is carrying twins she expects to go much earlier so she wanted the shower earlier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCesEve99:
    imagecocojack10:

why does it have to be in aug? we are both due in november and i was thinking of skipping summer mths and having it beginning oct or end of sept. granted it will still be hot but i'm hoping more dry than rainy.

Most moms of multiples recommend having it by wk 30 b/c of risk of going to labor early, and bedrest.  Plus, I'll be so big it may be uncomfortable to have it any later.  My doctor already told me that it is very possible I may go to bedrest by the end of Sept.  I want to have it early enough that it gives me time to exchange/buy missing items and finalize room in case of bedrest/PTL.  

-- Jackie
  • Options
    aha...totally didnt see that one. is there a clubhouse you can borrow? someone's backyard?
  • Options

imageCesEve99:
    aha...totally didnt see that one. is there a clubhouse you can borrow? someone's backyard?

There is only one clubhouse I can think of, and I have a cousin working on it.  LOL  As for a backyard, from what I can come up with, mine is really the only option (I don't care hosting it at my house), but my yard is so ugly.  That is our next project.  I had actually asked DH for us to work on it for this very reason, but we never did (as we are contimplating moving - but that plan is on hold).

I wanted to talk to Dh last night about it, and he was sick of the topic already, and started to complain... I send him away (nicely) and haven't spoken to him since.  I hope he brings it up tonight.

-- Jackie
  • Options
    GL whatever you decide to do.  I'm of not help in choosing a location since I didn't bother looking into it.  
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:
    imagebritishbride05:
    Jen - both DH and I have HUGE families, and since I want a co-ed party, the guest list is astronomical!  Even if it were women only, it would be at least 80 people.  Remember, my wedding was 350+ guests, and that was majority family.  
    Can you understand now my stress!  I want to have something nice, but with a smaller budget, and all these people have to attend.  I am really considering not having a shower.  I am really stressing myself out here!

What do you guys think of Tarpon Bend in Miracle Mile?  Cheesy?  I called and got a prelim quote and I think they are pretty reasonable.  It would be something like 6pm to 10pm on a Sat. 

LOL  well, i guess if peter's family was as big as mine, we'd have an issue, too.  I just kept my guest list small (i only invited 3 friends, the rest was just close family) but that was mainly my sister and mom's decision, since they were footing the bill :)

• Options

I tried to cut the list by only inviting the "young people" (no aunts/uncles), but I think they woud have a heartattack if they were to find out!  Since these are basically the first twins in the family (both sides), everyone is super excited, and want to be involved in every which way.  LOL  Plus, they all love us so much, how can I exclude them from the day?!

My friends list is limited.  Dh has a lot of friends, which over the yrs I've become real close to too so no way of letting them out.  The good thing is that half of my family is OOT, so they won't come!  LOL  That has reduced the "real" guest list.

-- Jackie
  • Options
    imageMellyMelB:

Have you considered a hotel ballroom, meeting room, or something like that? I went to a baby shower at a Marriot once and it was really nice. You may be able to keep the cost down with just beer, wine, and appetizers.

I was going to say exactly this! I had the same problem when planning my bridal shower. My guest list was 90+ people and that was only women. I have a huge family so in order to keep the costs down we looked at ballrooms with economical packages. We ended up at the Dadeland Marriott. The ballroom was perfect for what we needed - and they have several different rooms of different sizes . They provide chairs, tables, etc. and their package included lunch, mimosas and drinks. It was less than $20 pp. And since it was kind of a tea party theme and I wanted to have food available before lunch was served, my dad made eclairs, petit fours, cakes and other desserts for a long dessert table we had set up beforehand. Sooo they'll work with you. GL!

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageEliStar:
    imageMellyMelB:

I was going to say exactly this! I had the same problem when planning my bridal shower. My guest list was 90+ people and that was only women. I have a huge family so in order to keep the costs down we looked at ballrooms with economical packages. We ended up at the Dadeland Marriott. The ballroom was perfect for what we needed - and they have several different rooms of different sizes . They provide chairs, tables, etc. and their package included lunch, mimosas and drinks. It was less than $20 pp. And since it was kind of a tea party theme and I wanted to have food available before lunch was served, my dad made eclairs, petit fours, cakes and other desserts for a long dessert table we had set up beforehand. Sooo they'll work with you. GL!

Love the Dadeland Marriot... that is where our wedding reception was!  : )  When looking at reception areas, that was the most economical, and IMO is very nice!

I'm not ruling it out, but it may be more $

-- Jackie
  • Options

Are you ruling out Broward? My friend is doing her's at The Mustard Seed (but it will be a brunch)...what about Renaissance Ballrooms??? They have 2 locations down south...Blue Martini in Brickell Village is a perfect place for just drinks and appetizers :)

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsGiviRN:

Are you ruling out Broward? My friend is doing her's at The Mustard Seed (but it will be a brunch)...what about Renaissance Ballrooms??? They have 2 locations down south...Blue Martini in Brickell Village is a perfect place for just drinks and appetizers :)

I would prefer to stay in Dade, as 99% of the guests are already down here.  Not a huge fan of ballrooms, not sure why.  But Blue Martini sounds like fun... thanks!  Off to inquire.  : )

-- Jackie
  • Options
    Check out Poblano's in South Miami.  We hosted our department's holiday party a few years back there and it was nice.  They host private parties and served appetizers and drinks.  It's Mexican cuisine. 
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:
    imageEliStar:
    imageMellyMelB:

Love the Dadeland Marriot... that is where our wedding reception was!  : )  When looking at reception areas, that was the most economical, and IMO is very nice!

I'm not ruling it out, but it may be more $

I didn't know you got married there! Cool :) I thought they were great, too. And their lunch packages are sooo not expensive.

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Even though I am barely around, saw this post and wanted to give my input.  Mel was talking about The Fire Tower.  It is in (almost) the Doral area and the place is SUPER nice.  My sis was married there and we had my father's 60th birthday party there last year.  They are VERY affordable, the food is great, and will for sure work with you.  I think it is a great option for what you are looking for!  Good luck.

Fire Towerfiretowermiami.com8000 NW 21st St
    Doral, Florida 33122
    (305) 599-0905

Chrissy and Jess est. 6.1.07 Baby Lena Born 8.31.10 Expecting Baby Jack - C-Section scheduled 9.14.11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"