3rd Trimester

ParentS staying 5 weeks!! Vent

I am due in August and my parents are planning on coming in(7 hour drive) to stay at my house for the first 2 weeks when LO is born andthen coming back in September and staying for an additional 3 weeks!!!!!!!     Also, that last weekin September, BOTH of my brothers will be visiting so we will have a fullhouse!  This is also the weekendbefore I go back to work, so I know I will be anxious!!!  SO, that?s a total of 5 weeks that myparents will be staying with me at my house (out of my 8 weeks off!)

So, I think I am about to send my parents an e-mail sayingthat is tooooo much!!   This is their first grandchild and they are super excited, have done somuch for him already and I know they will be CRUSHED! 

I feel super loved and blessed that they are so into theirnew grandchild.  But I have beengetting soooo anxious just thinking about having houseguests for that long andworried about bonding time and nursing.     

So I am about to break their hearts, but I think it will allbe better in the end!    Hopefully it will be a huge relief after I write the e-mail!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ParentS staying 5 weeks!! Vent

• I totally agree with you that 5 weeks is too much, especially when you only have 8 weeks off from work.  You will appreciate the help but you also need time alone as a family.  It will be a big shock for you to have your parents leave and then immediately start work. You need some alone time with baby to figure out your new life routine.  Maybe your parents could come back but not so soon??  

FWIW, we have a 10 day house guest policy.  Any more than that and DH and I would go crazy. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Whoa, there is no way in hell I would ever want anyone staying with me that long...especially after having a baby and having to adjust to getting ready to go back to work. If you are like me, you are not going to want all those people around. Some of the ladies around here dont have a problem with it, but I certainly wouldnt want that. I would definitely be upfront about it and tell them its not going to work.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • GL!!! I agree 5 weeks is too much! I hope it all works out for you!
  • I agree with you, 5 weeks is crazy! But, I would suggest that you talk about this over the phone rather than in an email. Words can get misconstrued very easily in text and you might not come off sounding the way you intend to. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My friend's mother in law stayed 3 days and that was too much!  My mom stayed the first night because we were so sleep deprived and to be fair we let mother in law stay the second night, but the 2nd night was too much really.  I can't imagine weeks at a time!  You need your own bonding time.  I would be worried about getting frustrated, stressed, and post partum depression from being smothered.  You really should take care of the issue soon especially if you are already feeling weird about it now.
  • Wow, I couldn't handle that at ALL. I don't want anyone staying at our house after LO is born. I can barely tolerate houseguests for a week normally, much less five weeks during such a stressful time. That is way too much.
    We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am sorry - that is insane!  I don't want anyone staying with me for five weeks, even split over two months...NO thanks.  If your parents don't understand, that is there bad.  I don't know how they wouldn't think staying with you for 5 out of 8 weeks might be tough on you and your DH with a new LO in the house - plus your two brothers during part of that - can't they come for one trip or the other?
  • I think I'd talk to them about just staying 1 week and then maybe another week in Sept.  Maybe they could come stay the first couple of weeks that you're back at work so you wouldn't have to put baby in daycare right away.  It might be an easier transition for you.

When DD was born my parents stayed with me for the first week.  That was almost too much.  I needed to be able to roam around my house with my top off practically to try to get the hang of nursing and that just didn't happen with them here.  This time DH is taking the first 2 weeks off and then my parents will come for the 3rd week.

• Oh hell no! There is NO way I would want over night company at my house for 5 weeks if I only had 8 weeks to be with my LO.

We have a two week rule for when LO comes home...zero over night guests period. Just me, DH and LO.

THey are more than welcome to visit during the day but I can't handle overnight and making sure everyone is taken care of. For one thing I do 100% of everything when we have overnight company: cook, clean...etc.

Not happening :)

Good Luck. Hopefully, they will understand!

• h2babeh2babe member
    imageshmily78:

Oh hell no! There is NO way I would want over night company at my house for 5 weeks if I only had 8 weeks to be with my LO.

We have a two week rule for when LO comes home...zero over night guests period. Just me, DH and LO.

THey are more than welcome to visit during the day but I can't handle overnight and making sure everyone is taken care of. For one thing I do 100% of everything when we have overnight company: cook, clean...etc.

Not happening :)

Good Luck. Hopefully, they will understand!

This is me. My mom was so pushy about staying here for 2 weeks, I had to specifically ask her what she thinks that she will be doing here... playing w/ the baby while I cook and clean for her? Because that's what I would do with overnight guests but NO FREAKING WAY that I would do it now. 

Good luck!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"