1st Trimester

What!? No official test to confirm pregnancy!! Thoughts??

After taking ten pregancy tests, I finally realized well...yup..I was pregnant. We got pregnant very quickly, our first month of trying, so I felt excited...confused and just couldn't believe it. I called my doctor and I was scheduled for a nurse's visit on July 6 and then a u/s for the 21st! After reading many posts about how some of you ladies have been upset/disappointed by your first visit to the doctor, I decided to call so I would know what to expect. I received a call back whereby the nurse told me that it's just an informational, 1 hour, meeting. What!? Really! Not, that I don't need or want the info, but we're fully trusting my ten pregnancy tests, eh? I guess I'm really shocked by that. It doesn't help that my parents are almost in their 70's and although they're acting super happy...they keep asking...well when do you go to the doctor. blah.blah. I have to hear how they used to confirm women's pregnancy's etc..etc... Then my mother told me of a woman on 20/20 thought she was pregnant...doctor later confirmed she wasn't...then she stole a baby from the nursery at a hospital. Why!? Would you tell me that. I know the 10 preg tests I tooks are 99.9% right, but as anyone else having this problem??

Re: What!? No official test to confirm pregnancy!! Thoughts??

• I'm sort of confused.. They arent going to do a pee or blood test?
    Thats really weird actually.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They didn't confirm at my first appointment, either. It was just informational. The next visit they did a pelvic and felt my uterus and the doctor said I was the right size based on my LMP. I was a little surprised that there was no blood/urine test either, but there wasn't!
  • Loading the player...
  • My practice does not do a blood test to confirm either. With my DD I was nervous because it was my first and insisted on a blood draw and they complied. You could always request a beta draw if it will make you feel more comfortable.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• imageOilers_Mama:
    I'm sort of confused.. They arent going to do a pee or blood test?

no it's not.  it's pretty standard to first see a nurse or nurse practitioner and do some history and get some information and then not have your first real visit until the 8-12 week mark.  at that point, they will do bloodwork and a urine test to confirm.  honestly, the test you used at home is what they will use at the doc's office.  it's not more magical just because it's at the doc's office.

a super early u/s is not the norm, nor is it that standard of care.  many people get them because they are high risk or because their doc owns the equipment and does it themselves so it's no big deal.

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • a peestick in your doctor's office is really no better than the ten peesticks you already used.  Seriously.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• JLB24JLB24 member
    My first appt. was informational, but they did pee and blood test, and they did a whole check down below.  I'm pretty sure they can tell by seeing my uterus if I was pregnant or not.  And I think once the blood tests come back they will be able to confirm it 100%.  So...if u don't get a call a week or 2 after you have blood, I think it's safe to assume it is a done deal!  At least I did. haha
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went in to get my doctor to confirm my pregnancy. While the nurse was asking me about my history I told her that I had already taken 3 FRER and she said, "Oh, then your pregnant then". I told her I still wanted them to confirm so I took another pee test which came out positive. I wouldn't stress about not taking a test. From my understanding the tests we buy at the store are basically the same as the doctors office. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageQuiroloslove:
    Then my mother told me of a woman on 20/20 thought she was pregnant...doctor later confirmed she wasn't...then she stole a baby from the nursery at a hospital. Why!? Would you tell me that.

Why did she steal the baby?  I think because she's friggin' nuts.  

My doctor didn't confirm anything either.  What do you want them to do?  Take test 11 and then say well... we knew that.  They don't do blood/betas unless there is a reason.  Do you think your insurance will just volunteer to pay for extra stuff to make you happy?

You will get an ultrasound when you get seen, which you said is scheduled for 7/21, and they will date the pregnancy, etc... 

Chill out.  it's no big deal.  If you have 10 tests and no period, I don't see what the problem is. 

• imagecdobry01:
    a peestick in your doctor's office is really no better than the ten peesticks you already used.  Seriously.

This.

I think people expect way too much at their first appointment.  Not everyone gets blood work and an u/s...it's really not the norm.  Your appointment was normal, nothing to get upset about.  It's really something to be happy about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQuiroloslove:
    Then my mother told me of a woman on 20/20 thought she was pregnant...doctor later confirmed she wasn't...then she stole a baby from the nursery at a hospital. Why!?

Your mom needs to stop watching those Lifetime movies and pseudoentertainment journalism and confusing them with everyday life.  Seriously.

Some docs might confirm pregnancy, a lot won't expend the expense.

• OTC pregnancy tests are that good and accurate these days
    • Anything the doctors have qualitative will work as well as OTC anyway.
    • Sometimes the doc office urine tests actually are not as accurate.

FYI, your folks are from a time when there were NO OTC pregnancy tests at all.  If you wanted to find out if you're pregnant back then, you HAD to see a doctor.

I think 10 of 10 is statistically significant, if you ask me.

• They didn't confirm my pregnancy at the 1st appointment either. They just had a class set up where you can ask questions they give you some books on the hospital and some books for you to keep as little keep sakes from similac. They also got all my insurance info set up and they checked any med's people are on and then that was it. My second appointment they did a ultrasound and all. I'm sure it will turn out the same way for you.Big Smile
  • imagecdobry01:
    a peestick in your doctor's office is really no better than the ten peesticks you already used.  Seriously.

True story. My first appt's not until 10 weeks. There was definitely no confirmation of pregnancy prior to that, other than me calling and telling the receptionist, "Hi, I'm pregnant. LMP was April 20th. Yes, I'm free July 2nd."

That's pretty standard, from what I've gathered.

• My 1st appt was pretty run of the mill with all of the Q & A but they did do a pee test and blood work.  Called me the next day to "confirm" I was pregnant and that all of my blood work was good.  Although with the missed period, several positive at home tests and already hitting morning sickness I sorta already knew =) 
  • I didnt have one either. My doctor said that if I had had two positive tests at home then it was very certain that I was pregnant.  We talked about my prenatals and scheduled by labwork and U/S at my first appointment.

In the "olden" days  when my mom had me in the 70s pregnancy test were much less sensitive and U/S wasnt commonly used - you didnt get a positive result until you were at least 6 weeks pregant - it was much more critical back then for your doctor to "confirm" a pregnancy.

Hope this helps!

• My OB doesn't have you come in either..they just have you come in when you reach 8 wks unless you are having bleeding or other problems. I thought it was weird too but they basically said if I got a BFP then it's the same test they would do there..so what's the point. I get it I guess but it makes sense..if you are getting positive tests and aren't getting your period then you are def pg and there's nothing they really do in a visit before 8 wks anyway.

I do see a lot of girls on here going in for blood tests etc..that must be common practice too.

• FWIW this is pretty normal.

My first appointment was early (5wks by LMP) but that was partially because I was seeing a new Doctor.  Here's what they did at mine:  Pee test (to confirm), Family History, Medical History, took vitals, reviewed my LMP and prenatal vitamins, then the dr did an internal exam to feel the size of my uterus, I also had a vaginal culture and a Pap (it was time for it anyway).  The Dr ordered blood work - which I did right that day - for the basics - CF screening, STD screening, basic labs, etc.

• Just keep in mind that there's a high percentage of women on these boards dealing with infertility and/or repeat losses.  They need (and get) slightly different care and following by their docs than your average pregnant woman. 

Trust that less poking and prodding and testing is a GOOD thing and many of the women on these boards would LOVE to have a normal and uncomplicated reproductive history.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• I too had gotten multiple positive home tests but wanted more official results. I went to my regular doctor to get blood work done to confirm the pregnancy.  I got an appointment the same day I called and had results the next morning.  My first official OB appointment isn't until July 28th and I would have been doubting my home results the whole time--even though everything I've heard/read says that false positives on home tests are extremely rare. 
    Married 6.5.10 BFP#1 6.28.10 MC 7.9.10 BFP#2 9.25.10 missed MC 11.2.10 BFP#3 2.22.11 Hoping 3rd time is the charm!
  • Its not wierd.  The offices and hospitals use the same kind of tests.  If the home one says it, so will the one in the office. 

While the blood test is more sensitive, they spin the blood and put it on the same card.  Its really not all that impressive. 

The only officical test to confirm pregnancy is hearing or seeing the babys heartbeat. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagealli&pat:

imageOilers_Mama:
    I'm sort of confused.. They arent going to do a pee or blood test?

no it's not.  it's pretty standard to first see a nurse or nurse practitioner and do some history and get some information and then not have your first real visit until the 8-12 week mark.  at that point, they will do bloodwork and a urine test to confirm.  honestly, the test you used at home is what they will use at the doc's office.  it's not more magical just because it's at the doc's office.

a super early u/s is not the norm, nor is it that standard of care.  many people get them because they are high risk or because their doc owns the equipment and does it themselves so it's no big deal.

It depends on the practitioner.  My first baby I didnt get an ultrasound till 17 weeks.  With this one, I have already had an ultrasound to confirm viability.  It really depends on the practice. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"