North Carolina Babies
Options

Flight question...

How do you carry it through the airport to gate check it?

I am traveling alone with Allie and am dreading getting through the airport. Pushing her in a stroller, carrying a diaper bag and carry on bag, AND the carseat? This does not sound like fun.

I see I can buy a bag for it for like $50... but can't really afford that right now.

I am thinking we will get on a cart in the airport and just have them drive us to the gate...

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flight question...

• Options
    Put the car seat in a black garbage bag!  Or a clear one! Way cheaper!
  • Options

imageslhall730:
    Put the car seat in a black garbage bag!  Or a clear one! Way cheaper!

The bags you can buy have wheels!  Or backpack type straps.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We carried the car seat, stroller, diaper bag and one carry on with two people and it was hard. Unless you bought her a seat, don't take the car seat, they will check it at the gate and put it in a large clear plastic bag. The MOST stressful was having to go through security and fold up the stroller, take everything out and take her (and our) shoes off and go through. DH carried the car seat but I had everything else (plus Jocelyn) and did OK. My suggestion if you do have a seat for her and have to carry on the car seat, would be to rest it on top of the canopy of the stroller and push it through the airport that way. There is no way you can carry all that yourself. Also, I found it hard going through the plane with her in the aisle with the carry on and the the huge car seat, you may need a flight attendant or another passenger to help you once you are on the plane.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You can buy this little T-strap thing and you can strap the carseat to a piece of wheeled luggage.  It connects using the same latches that latch into your car.  You can pack a small bag with diapers and snacks, etc. And put extra important stuff in the wheeled suitcase.  This way, you don't need the stroller to get through the airport.  You've got all that you need in your carry-ons.  Check a bag if you have to and maybe buy or borrow an umbrella stroller at your destination if you need it.

The strap can be found at:

www.travelingtoddler.com

• Options
    are you using the carseat on the plane?
    if not, you can just check it.
    even without a bag. it's free.

(that's what we did)
    however, the other part was not easy...getting through the airport. and there were the both of us!

we did get one of those little luggage carts that you can get at the airport for like $3 then return.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Speed... do you have one of these things I could maybe borrow?

I am not planning to use the carseat on the plane, unless there happens to be an open seat.  I worry about just checking the seat, because I worry it will get thrown around that way and damaged... rather then checking it at the gate, making it the last thing on and off the plane.

• Options

To help protect the carseat if you check it buy a roll of shrink wrap at Lowes and wrap the car seat up. This way the fabric will stay clean and nothing will damage it. Thats what we did with Grant's seat and it worked great. Also we could put a piece of paper under the plastic wrap with our name, address, and phone number to help if it get lost.

I dont think there is any way you will be able carry all your stuff and the car seat and stroller all by yourself. I would def. check the car seat!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I do have one, but I lent it out to a friend a few weeks ago.
  • Options

do you need the stroller? i've flown by myself with henry some and do the same thing every time: wear henry on my front, backpack on my back and pull my roller bag with the carseat strapped to it (with the LATCH straps). i can go through security wearing henry, and all that has to happen is unstrapping the seat from the bag.

we never take strollers anywhere. they're just too bulky.

• Options
    I've been thinking about that this morning.  I thought Allie was over the weight limit for the Bjorn... so I haven't used it in forever.  But she's only 21.5 pounds... so I think I can still use that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"