1st Trimester

First "prenatal massage"

Ok, so I didn't schedule a prenatal massage, I just went in to my regular spa for a regular massage.  But as soon as I told my massage therapist that I'm newly pregnant, he made me lay on my side because he didn't want me on my stomach at all.  I had the extra pillows, elevated headrest, everything.  I was a little disappointed because I thought I could get a couple more regular massages booked before I would need a prenatal one on my side (my spa doesn't have the tables with the belly hole in them, and the side massage isn't nearly as good). 

Anyone know at what point we're supposed to stop laying on our stomach?  I'm Googling it but coming up with a wide variety of results.  I guess this is something I can ask my dr. at my first appointment (and then report back to my massage therapist- haha!).

Re: First "prenatal massage"

• i'm not sure about being on your side but my doctor and the massage therapist i go to are adamant that a massage should not take place in the 1st trimester.  may be a question worth asking your doc next time you see him/her. 

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Sorry, I was lurking because my board is slooow. I think it's totally OK to lay on your stomach until it's no longer comfortable. Even now at 36 weeks (I was a total stomach sleeper before becoming pregnant!) I sleep in what I call an extreme side-lying position. I'm usually about 1/2 on my stomach, 1/2 on my side. I don't think it's possible to "squish" the baby.

Hope that helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

Lurking as well...

I slept on my belly until about 27 weeks... Now it's too hard. 

Now I sleep on my side, but almost on my belly.

Don't worry about the side sleeping thing.  Your body will tell you when it's time to switch positions.

• imagealli&pat:

i'm not sure about being on your side but my doctor and the massage therapist i go to are adamant that a massage should not take place in the 1st trimester.  may be a question worth asking your doc next time you see him/her. 

I think this has to do with pressure points- there are certain pressure points that have to be avoided during pregnancy.  That's the reason I told him, so he wouldn't use those- but I didn't know he would treat me like I was 30 weeks along!  Big Smile

• My massage therapist won't massage me until after my first trimester, or until my doctor gives the OK, then she will do a pregnancy massage. There is an increased risk of miscarriage associated with massage during the first trimester. I won't chance it until my doc says it's fine. Just my two cents :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBluehelix:
    My massage therapist won't massage me until after my first trimester, or until my doctor gives the OK, then she will do a pregnancy massage. There is an increased risk of miscarriage associated with massage during the first trimester. I won't chance it until my doc says it's fine. Just my two cents :)

Duly noted, I will ask at my appointment.  Smile 

• wow. I was going to schedule an appt for next week, but not now! I'll wait a while, and call my therapist to see what she recommends. 
  • imageBluehelix:
    My massage therapist won't massage me until after my first trimester, or until my doctor gives the OK, then she will do a pregnancy massage. There is an increased risk of miscarriage associated with massage during the first trimester. I won't chance it until my doc says it's fine. Just my two cents :)
    This is not true.  There is an increased risk of m/c in general during the 1st trimester and therefore no massage therapist wants to get blamed for causing it if you do have one. 
  • MrsYamMrsYam member

imagePamela05:
    imageBluehelix:
    This is not true.  There is an increased risk of m/c in general during the 1st trimester and therefore no massage therapist wants to get blamed for causing it if you do have one. 

This. 

I'm a massage therapist and almost ALL of the spas including the one I work for DO NOT allow massage before the 2nd trimester. Its more of a liability issue. Also, a lot of ladies feel terrible in the 1st tri and massage can sometimes make all those issues worse. 

Just be sure you get a therapist trained in prenatal massage. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • my husbands friend is a massage therapist and she told him to be careful of pressure points when he rubs on me because there are apparently ones that induce labor.  I assume they are in the lower back.???

*goes to google*

here's some info:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/111953-pressure-points-avoid-pregnant/

• Whoops, my bad. Sorry ladies, didn't mean to provide incorrect info. Will do more research before posting next time! Embarrassed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"