Blended Families

I have a baby question...

It's been a LONG time since my "babies" have been little so I have a question.  I know with my kids I LIVED by my swing for them!  It's was my only peace and quiet a day.  But now we are seeing the little seat things instead that have the motion, etc. and fewer swings.  Is there a reason for that?  Sky would like to get her neice/nephew a swing or chair.  But which is better or do both have their own advantages??  Which do you recommend??

Re: I have a baby question...

• Swings are great but most still run on batteries.  Some have a plug in option but you are looking upwards of $120 for a swing with plug in option.  And even then there is no guarantee that the baby will like it. (we are out looking for a swing this week)

MY LO hates the bouncer seat.  Just not comfortable for him.  But once again some babies enjoy them.  Most run around $50.

Most of the mom's over on 0-3 swear by the Fisher Price Rock & Play Sleeper.  It is a chair that is approved or the baby to sleep in and it rocks gentle back and forth.  And because of the incline, it helps babies with acid reflux sleep better because they are not flat on their back.  It's a nice option.  It's priced about the same as a bouncer @ $55.

• It literally depends on the baby.  My dd hated that bouncy seat, and wasn't completely in love with the swing either, unless she was sick.  She preferred to sit up inside the boppy or be attached to my hip at all times! 

My cousins baby hates the swing and likes the bouncy.  You don't know until the baby tries them unfortunately!

• Loading the player...
  • I think I did see that rock and play sleeper.  I'll check into that a little more and maybe just let Sky make the secision since it's her gift.  Sounds like any of them would work depending on what my little peanut will like..
  • FYI: if you have a Once Upon a Child near you make sure you check it out. If we decide to get a swing we will get it from there, they have many great ones for $20 - $30. I never had a swing for ds, we had a bouncy seat that vibrated. It was nice to have somewhere to sit him where I could still fold laundry or play with my then fi's son. Once he was about 4 months old we got him a Jumperoo & he LOVED it! If she is tight on space maybe start w/a bouncy seat & just see from there what the baby might want/need from there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • no once upon a child here in town, but there is in Fargo.  We go there often so thank for the tip! 
  • As someone said previously, it totally depends on the baby. My newborn loves her swing, sleeps in it, and it gives me a few minutes during the day to 'get stuff done'. She has a little seat that she can sit in and it is more mobile, I can bring her around the house when I'm doing chores. I have both. She likes her swing more. As she gets older this may change. Our swing takes batteries, and was close to $150. Worth every penny. The seat thing we have was only around $50, so if you get a swing, get one that's worth the money. My best friend got a really nice swing that was close to $200, and her baby hates it. It was a total waste of money for them. :-/
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Also check Craigslist for baby swings.  Although you may want to buy a new one, since it's a gift.   I got mine from there and only paid $15 for it.  I checked it out online to be sure there were no recalls before buying it.  I bought everything for the baby myself since this was my second, and P was almost 9 when J was born, so I didn't have her baby stuff anymore.  I saved a TON of money using CL. 
  • We have a plug in swing and DS love it. He HATES his bouncy chair.

My SIL who will be watching DS when I eventually go back to work bought a portable swing and a bouncer from a resell shop for him to have at her house.But she bought the bouncer before we realized he hated it. 

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• DD loves her swing! Its the Fisher Price Zen Baby swing. It plugs in and I believe was around $130 at walmart and amazon.com. The seat detatches from the swing unit and you can carry it around the house if need be!
  • SWmamaSWmama member

My swing is actually just a frame that you pop the car seat into. If DD falls asleep in the car seat I just put her in the frame and turn on the rocker.
    It also makes nature sounds (annoying) and has a vibrating option.

She loves it (is napping in it right now).

She also loved the bouncer but I think she is just a super easygoing baby.

Here's a link to the swing;

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Swing-SnugRide-Infant/dp/B000M4K4BY/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I38FJ1AWCNEUXE&colid=3V3LPBTGLUYG4

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageSWmama:

My swing is actually just a frame that you pop the car seat into. If DD falls asleep in the car seat I just put her in the frame and turn on the rocker.
    It also makes nature sounds (annoying) and has a vibrating option.

She loves it (is napping in it right now).

She also loved the bouncer but I think she is just a super easygoing baby.

Here's a link to the swing;

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Swing-SnugRide-Infant/dp/B000M4K4BY/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I38FJ1AWCNEUXE&colid=3V3LPBTGLUYG4

I wanted this so bad and BRU was always out of stock online, and our local store didn't sell it!  Angry

• DD LOVES her swing, but it was expensive at $170!  However, you can change the seat around so it changes the direction (back/forward or right/left) the swing swings, it also plays music and you can hook your MP3 player into it.  It runs on both batteries or a/c adaptor, and you can take the seat off totally and put your Graco carseat in the swing holder.  It is by Graco and is called the Newborn Soothing Center.  DD is asleep in it right now!  My dad got it for us from BuyBuyBaby!
  • DS loved his FP craddle swing and it changed directions. He also liked his bouncer. But what I loved about the cradle swing was that it changed directions and that you could change the incline slightly. He always seemed so content in that.

I also suggest getting her a moby wrap. I didn't get mine until DS was about 2 1/2 3 months old and I wished I had it sooner. I loved that thing. I think I spent around $50 for mine but it has the UVF built in so in my opinion it was really worth it.

Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"