Baby Showers
Options

Can't invite DHs family to shower?

Good morning!

DH's mom just informed us that she can't throw us a shower.  Mainly because they live 5 hours away from the rest of their family and it would be too hard to plan. (We live 8 hours away from both locations).

I am perfectly fine with this. 

My aunt will be having a shower for us, but my close family comprises 40+ people.  My bridal shower was held in a big tent outside, and i only invited about 4 friends.

I don't see how we can invite the 20+ people from his family that will now be left out since MIL isn't hosting (I know none of them will host either).

My main question is: is it completely rude of me to not invite DH's aunts and counsins even though there is a shower taking place?

Re: Can't invite DHs family to shower?

• Options

I would ask DH what he thinks.  It's his family so he should have a better feel about what they'd think.

I'd think you'd want to invite them, but it's a tough call.  Good luck!

• Options
    It depends on what the host/hostesses have in mind for a budget and what they can accommodate.  If possible, I would invite them, but you might not have much of a choice
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would invite them. If they live that far away chances are they arent coming anyways! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely coordinate with the hostess and ask.  I know my hostess wanted us to invite ANYONE who may come - we're doing a coed shower in June.  Since the weather is nice people can wander in and out of the house and not all have to be in one confined area.  It's very informal and it works for us - and, most importantly, her.
  • Options

We might have a decent turnout from his family- they are only 1.5 hours from my hometown where all of my family is and the shower would be.

Our drive is the long one.

• Options

You should invite his mom and any IMMEDIATE family who is close to DH.  sisters, perhaps an aunt or so.  Bu tyou don't know to invite his entire family.  It's too bad his mom can't throw a shower, but she isn't the only one. Someone can!

Your hostess should NOT feel obligated to go grossly over their budget to accomodate DH's family.  It's not your hostesses responsibility to include everyone.  SOmeone else in his family could step forward if they wanted to.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    cadencaden member
    My DH's entire family lives out of state. We're only inviting his mom and sisters. No one else on his side.
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

You should invite his mom and any IMMEDIATE family who is close to DH.  sisters, perhaps an aunt or so.  Bu tyou don't know to invite his entire family.  It's too bad his mom can't throw a shower, but she isn't the only one. Someone can!

Your hostess should NOT feel obligated to go grossly over their budget to accomodate DH's family.  It's not your hostesses responsibility to include everyone.  SOmeone else in his family could step forward if they wanted to.

This. 

• Options
    imageTupeloChick:
    imageEastCoastBride:

This. 

I agree also.  Very close family (your MIL, SIL's) I think warrant an invite, but you aren't obligated to invite everyone under the sun from his family if it's an event one of your relatives is hosting as an event for your family.

• Options

No, it's not rude - there are space constraints.

Family members (especially out of town family) don't have to be invited to all of the showers.  

• Options
    imagearpetree1:
    I would invite them. If they live that far away chances are they arent coming anyways! 
    Same here
  • Options
    I don't know if I completely understand what you are asking, but here are my thoughts.  It is YOUR shower, therefor whoever YOU want there should be invited.  A good friend of mine is hostessing my shower and both mine and my DH's families are invited, near and far, including in and out of town friends.  Chat with the hostess and see if they can accommodate everyone, but keep in mind too they may not come being so far away.  I would still include them and if anything, they can send you gifts :o)
  • Options
    Do you happen to be from TR?  I saw your wedding picture in your post and you look familiar... Either way, congrats on the baby-to-be! :)
  • Options

I was in the same senario only not because of distance but b/c MIL just kept putting it off and then wanted to schedule it when it was a good possibility I could be in the hospital with DS. So I contacted my aunt who was throwing a shower on the one side and asked if my MIL could help out and in return invite DH side of the family as well. My aunt was renting a place anyway and MIL helped pay for rental, food, decorations etc and we had one big shower with everyone.

Worked out great! DS was there and only ogt passes around for one day rather than a couple of days which is great b/c he doesn't like large groups of people and spends much of the time sleeping or "playing possum" which we then would pay for at night b/c he wouldn't sleep at night after sleeping all day...so it was a win for everyone.

• Options

My mom is throwing my shower, so I only invited my man's mom, sister, grandma, and one aunt. I talked to him about it and he's not very close with his other two aunts, so they weren't invited. I don't know your DH's family personally, so it's really your call. But even though you send them an invite doesn't mean they'll attend. Still, 20+ people is a lot. I say skip all the cousins and extended family.

• Options

I have to agree with some of the other commentators here: DH's mother and any female siblings should be invited, but you shouldn't feel the need to invite his entire family. And I also agree this is something you need to discuss with your Aunt, since she is hosting.

• Options

imageLaBlue24:
    ... A good friend of mine is hostessing my shower and both mine and my DH's families are invited, near and far, including in and out of town friends.  Chat with the hostess and see if they can accommodate everyone, but keep in mind too they may not come being so far away.  I would still include them and if anything, they can send you gifts :o)

Diddo...a good friend of mine is hostessing, I have family far and wide, and those I am close with are invited regardless of distance because it makes them feel included even if they cannot attend.

• Options
    lmfatzlmfatz member
    I would invite them! If they aren't able to make it, they may want to send a gift for your bambino :) 
  • Options
    I would have to agree with the 1st post it's his family he should know best or if he pulls a case of the "i don't knows" ask MIL since you know she won't be attending I would not think that is a rude question to pose!
  • Options
    Think about it this way, your shower is a way to involve your families in your babies life before he or she is born. Don't distance your husbands family from your little one now, it may create a pattern that you regret later. In my experience you get 60% of the people in attendance from the guest list at baby showers. Invite the people you know can't come, let people know not to bring children (that will also eliminate some attendees) and you will be able to make room on your guest list. If you're feeling bitter about your MIL bailing as a host, suck it up. Don't punish everyone else. You are in a position to be the bigger person and advocate a relationship with your LO an DH's family and that is a VERY mature thing to do.
  • Options
    It's really up to you and your hostess.  All I can say from personal experience is that my shower was hosted by my family and we only invited DH's immediate female family member's and his two grandmothers (I have a large family of 40+ myself and only 3 of my girlfriends were invited).  I thought that this would be fine as normally his family would host and invite his extended family and any friends, however, they didn't.  And I got s*** for it with a number from his side calling him up and asking why they weren't invited to the shower.  Needless to say there were some unhappy people, though I feel they should have understood the situation.  Hopefully, this won't happen to you. No one's happy if the Mother-to-be is crying because DH's aunt is angry for the lack of an invite. 
  • Options

i think it would be best if you do invite people on both sides, certainly not excluding all of one side and have a lot from another side. if you cannot make space for the entire crowd then you need to be limiting BOTH sides. also you might consider making the invites early and getting rsvps early because maybe not that many people could come anyway, and you could maybe customize your plans to the number of guests. Could you have like a picnic at a park or something, if you truly will have a lot of guests.

Also, maybe you could see if someone else, even your MIL might be able to "host" if you or someone else local can do more of the logistical planning. 

• Options
    Invite them.  Its then up to them to determine if they can travel or not.  You don't want to hurt anyone's feeling by not inviting them. 
  • Options
    I am having a similar problem. My MIL lives close by, but for some reason is being weird about throwing a shower. No clue why. I don't want to come out at just ask her to do one, but DH has tried to hint that it would be helpful if we did two showers. She keeps going back and forth about it. My Mom and BF are throwing the other one with about 40+ invited. Coming up with a good location for that many has been tricky and they still have a budget to keep in mind. Not to mention, opening gifts from that many will take forever and I think it's rude to expect people to watch that for that long.. So at this point, I'm inviting my MIL, two SILs as well as DH's aunt and grandma, but the rest of his family will not be able to attend unless MIL changes her mind again and decides to throw the shower after all. So, I would suggest maybe inviting just a few of his immediate family but not feel guilty about not inviting everyone.. Hope your shower goes well.. = )
  • Options
    if it were me i would probably be a lil embarrassed to not invite them, but if none of them will host then its obviousely not that important to them either. why not have ur fam contact theirs and see if their aren't ppl who can afford to co-host on behalf of their side and help with the extra expense inviting them would incur. if it matters that much to them, they wil find a way to make it work.
  • Options
    A friend of mine had two bridal showers, one for each side of the family. This would work for a baby shower for you. It means everyone gets invited and no hurt feelings. However it might cost more for you to have two showers.
  • Options

You should atleast invite them. That then leaves the ball in their court about wether they want to or can show up. Its very rude not to invite them since they are your family.

My husband and I both come from large families to begin with and on top of that we also come from split families so for by bridal shower I actually had my future MIL help me make a list of people from my husband's side of the family that should be invited to my shower (my mother was hosting his wasn't). My mother didn't want more than 40 people coming since she was footing the bill all by herself.  So MIL helped me put a list together, but we only invited aunts and first cousins of my husband. None of them could come, next thing I knew the MIL decided to throw me a second bridal shower because the rest of the women in her family kept asking when I was going to have one. It was quite embarassing for me because we had to lie and tell her family I never had one, and then I had to lie and keep the second shower a secreat from my family. So atleast invite them and after that leave it up to them what to do.

cr BFP- Nov 4, 2010 MC- 12-13-10 you will be missed little one BFP- 2/16/2012 MC- 3/29/2012 another angel in heaven
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"