Rhode Island Babies
Options

hospital help

so im from connecticut but will be in RI 11 days before im due for my husbands cousins babyshower. im just trying to find out what you ladies believe is the best hospital to go to should i need to deliver in RI. the shower will be in Coventry RI. any advice will be appreciated. thanks
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: hospital help

• Options
    i think it all depends what kind of birth you are hoping for. If you plan on having an epi and dont mind interventions, or you are high risk for any reason, then women & infants is probably the best way to go. They have a wonderful neonatal intensive care unit. They are a big hospital however, and you dont get a personalized experience. They are a baby factory. However if things have been going okay and you are looking for a more intimate birth experience, possibly going med free, I think you would be better off at Newport or Kent. I have yet to deliver, but this is the opinion I have based on research and talking to those that have delivered. Im also a nurse, and did two clinical rotations and W&I, and I know its not the atmosphere that I want for my delivery. However they are a great hospital, its just not for me.
  • Options

I delivered DD#1 at Women & Infants via scheduled C-section and I had a really great experience there.  I'm not sure why it has the reputation it does as being nothing more than a "baby factory."  Every time I say I delivered there, someone says that.  I get that a lot of babies are delivered there, but just the same, the nurses were very attentive.  I had someone come to help with breastfeeding, I had a choice of rooming in or putting the baby in the nursery, I had someone come to offer me support in becoming a mother, and I had a private room.  If you want a more natural experience they have the Alternative Birthing Center which is set up like a bedroom in a home.  Also, the food is really good.  I asked one of the nurses and she said it's brought in from a hotel.  They have an excellent NICU and gave me more handouts on every aspect of taking care of a baby than I knew what to do with. After we went home, they offer a "warm line" where you can call 24 hours a day to ask any questions that you might have free of charge.  Also, I just got a thing in the mail the other day saying that they do all newborn photos in your room now and they include family pics, too with no obligation to buy. Lastly, I wasn't rushed to leave.  I was given a choice of staying 3 or 4 days.  I think it's a great hospital and would recommend it. 

My friend just had #3 at Kent and she loves it there, too.  GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have 2 friends who just recently gave birth at Women & Infants and both of them had a natural birth. Both said it was great, and everyone was super supportive.
  • Options
    ps - none of them were at the Alternative Birthing Center. I think for that you would have to register in advance anyways.
  • Options

I have had 3 babies at W&I.  2 are here with me and 1 is in heaven and I would not go anywhere else.  It was a great experience with my 2 girls.  Very personal and supportive.  When I lost my baby it was very sad but they could not have done better.  When I got home  I recieved a sympathy card in the mail from the nurse who was there with me all day.  She stayed past her shift until I was sent up to my room.  I am now pg with another baby and can't wait to go back to W&I.  Good luck with the rest of your pg.  I hope you do not need the hospitals here and that you make it home so things go as you have planned.  But if you do need a hospital here I highly recommend W&I!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"