South Florida Babies
Options

anyone use glass bottles

My mom and MIL both suggested I use glass bottles.  I had contemplated the idea since DH and I stopped using plastic containers a while ago.  We may use them to store food, but not to heat it up. We switched to glass and pyrex not only b/c of BPA but other chemicals and concerns with plastics. So, we're pretty on board with using glass bottles, but I do have some concerns - mainly breakage.  Will they break in the diaper bag?  How about when baby wants to start holding the bottle herself?  What do we eventually do with sippy cups, bowls, spoons, etc.?  All of those items seem to be made of plastics.  

Any ideas or experiences you can share?

TIA 

Re: anyone use glass bottles

• Options

I never used them, but I have switched to heating things up in glass also.  Although with my dd it wasn't an issue that was known yet, so I heated up her bottles all the time.. :(

They do have plastic bottles that are BPA free. They are called Born Free..HTH...

• Options
    I don't use them, but wonder about what kind of problem it would be when the baby starts throwing the bottle to the ground! Would it break the tile or the bottle? Not to mention we have a dog and our son occasionally has thrown his bottles/sippies at the dog. It could really injure an animal. Babies can throw those things pretty hard....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, I have a pretty destructive kid so never even contemplated using glass bottles. Plus, I am not sure my daycare allows them. Interesting question to ask out of curiousity.

I just added Dr Brown bottles to my registry that are BPA free. They just came out last year. Also, a lot of mommies I know used playtex drop ins as they baggies are BPA free. There are lots of alternatives to glass out there now that are supposed to be safe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

lol / omg @ throwing bottles

That's one of my concerns, but DH says we can then switch to the plastic BPA free bottles/sippy cups or stainless steel sippy cups.  Their main point is just minimizing exposure to chemicals (not just BPA) in plastics as much as possible.  

• Options
    I used Born Free plastic bottles with Nadia & plan on doing the same with #2 (whenever that happens). I went with BPA free bottles but I really don't stress over the plastics too much. Obviously our parents weren't aware of these things when we were kids & we turned out fine. :-) Nadia's cups & plates are all plastic.
  • Options

I also use Born Free (the plastic, non-BPA kind). Many if not all plastic baby items made now are BPA-free. I don't know anything about other harmful chemicals found in plastics so I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

I did register for the Born Free glass bottles and got a set of those but ended up returning them. I liked the idea of using glass, but ultimately realized that it wasn't practical. Besides the issues already brought up (the fact that they're heavier and can break), there's the heat issue too - they'll be hotter to the touch with warm liquid inside than the plastic bottles would be which could be an issue when the baby learns to hold them herself. Having said that, Born Free does sell a plastic bottle cozy type thing to insulate their glass bottles, prevent breakage, and make them easier to grip, so if you are set on going that route, I would recommend registering for a few of the little covers as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I know most bottles are now BPA free.  I don't think BBB sells any that aren't BPA free. I usually use the logic that our parents did it for us and we turned out okay, but in this case our moms both used the glass bottles and that's why they're insisting we do, too.  

I did register for the set of Born Free glass bottles and was looking at the silicone sleeves (not available at BBB online, but figured I could get them elsewhere).  Maybe, I'll start off with that set and then see how it goes.  At least, our moms will be satisfied that we tried and then we can switch to plastic bottles when she starts holding them herself.  

• Options

We used the Playtex drop-ins for breastmilk, but I have one friend who switched to all glass, and she just used the sleeves over the bottles, no problem.  When we started sending food to school, we just send it in pyrex glass containers (the ones with the thick plastic tops) with instructions not to put the plastic in the microwave if it's a meal that needs heating.  At home, my kids eat from the same china we use, or from corelle (glassware).  I just got a nice 40 oz size stainless steel bottle to send my daughter's milk (cow's milk) to school for the week.  I send a stainless steel water bottle with water from home for my son's lunch.  I send toddler silverware that has plastic handles but metal on the part that actually touches the food. 

As for sippy cups, I had to go with the plastic take-n-toss.  I have one stainless steel sippy, and I love it but it cost almost $20.  My kids both love it, too, though, so we take it with us when we go out for a day trip to the zoo or wherever.

• Options

We used the playtex drop-ins, but I was bothered by all the stuff I was throwing out.  So, when he was around 6 months old, we switched to the Born Free glass bottles.  However, I will admit that when we were out, we used the RTF bottle as they made life so much easier on the run.  Spencer never held the bottle himself, so the throwing of the bottle was never an issue.  Even at 8 months old, he would only hold the cup himself and not the bottle.  I will tell you that they have shatter cases you can buy for them, but even after dropping a bottle or two on the concrete they never even cracked for me.  I think Dawn had an issue, and they sent her a replacement immediately. 

HTH!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Options
    thanks for the info!
  • Options

Thanks for the links.  Born Free makes the sleeves that are specifically for their glass bottles so I'll definitely get those if I go with glass.  Also, I did consider stainless steel for the sippy cup.  My only concern is the price tag!

How about the cornstarch plastic tableware?  It sounds like a great alternative.  It's definitely eco-friendly and it's supposed to be safe.  But, it sounds very delicate - not microwave/dishwasher safe, cannot soak in water. It sounds like you'd have to handwash it right away after each use.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"