3rd Trimester
Options

Beggars can't be choosers (vent)

DH and I moved into this house last August. It was a serious fixer-upper, but we were ok with that. The one thing we don't know how to do on our own is floors. Consequently, the room that will be our nursery had a rotted floor that needed to be replaced. My dad promised me that he would do it for us because he knew we couldn't afford to hire out. We bought all of the supplies back in February and...

...the floor is not even close to being done. It's keeping me from nesting, and I can't store any of the baby's stuff in that room so I've got HUGE boxes for furniture and stuff all over the house. I hate it. It's driving me crazy. I know the baby isn't going to sleep in there right away, but for my own sanity, I NEED THIS DONE! IT'S BEEN MONTHS! THIS BABY COULD BE HERE ANY TIME NOW!

My dad just keeps saying "Don't worry, I'll get it done." but I know he's just not taking in seriously. At the same time, he's doing me a favor so I really don't feel like I have the right to be pushy. To top things off, it's stressing my mom out. My mom called me tonight going on and on about "I don't know what to do about your dad. I keep trying to get him to go over and work on the baby's room but he just always finds other things to do. I know he's not going to get it done like he promised but I can't get him to go work on it!" After that call I talked to my dad. I even mustered up some fake tears and told him how stressed I was about it. I feel bad...like I said...he's doing me a huge favor...but I'm kind of at my breaking point now. My baby needs a floor!

*inhale*
*exhale*

Ok, thanks for listening :)

Re: Beggars can't be choosers (vent)

• Options
    UGH!! I'm so sorry for you! That truly does suck! Hopefully the tears will do the trick. Ts&Ps!!! GL!!!
  • Options
    i do hear what you are saying beggars cant be choosers  BUT... he offered and now is putting you in a crappy position.  hang in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd be furious.  I know you said you couldn't really afford it, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and start calling around to different contractors.  So sorry you're dad is being a putz about it; I'd be freaking out right now!  Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedavidandmickey:
    I'd be furious.  I know you said you couldn't really afford it, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and start calling around to different contractors.  So sorry you're dad is being a putz about it; I'd be freaking out right now!  Good luck! 

Oh believe me, if I could at all I would! The problem is that in the past few months my dog was diagnosed with cancer and needed major surgery ($1000)...then my entire septic system imploded ($4000)...I got laid off...and the IRS is presently withholding our tax return because they "didn't recieve the paperwork" (we've sent it twice). So...yeah Ick!

• Options

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe someone else is in the same position as me!  My IL's are members of Direct Buy, and FIL said he would buy and install wood floors for the nursery as a gift...like 5 months ago.  What a great gift, right....that's what I thought, but now I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  He hasn't even brought it up since.  I totally understand what you are saying.  It is such a frustrating situation!  You are very grateful for the gift, and it puts you in a situation where you're uncomfortable complaining just because you have no control. 

If I had to count on someone else for something in the nursery, I would rather it be ANYTHING but the floors.  You can't do anything!  Not even put clothes in the closet.  We have a "baby corner" in our guest room where all her stuff is piled up in boxes.  Our furniture comes the first week in August (which he knows) and he hasn't even mentioned installing the floors anytime in the near future.  I keep having dreams that my baby has to sleep in a drawer in our guest room because our nursery isn't ready for her when she comes!

I feel bad complaining to you because I see you're 37 weeks and I'm 27 weeks, so I still have quite a bit more time, but I thought I would let you know that you are not alone! 

Why don't you have your husband offer to give him a hand, and that way he will have to set a date to make sure that your husband is available.  Best of luck!

Ella-5 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagekemeshiwar:

imagedavidandmickey:

Oh believe me, if I could at all I would! The problem is that in the past few months my dog was diagnosed with cancer and needed major surgery ($1000)...then my entire septic system imploded ($4000)...I got laid off...and the IRS is presently withholding our tax return because they "didn't recieve the paperwork" (we've sent it twice). So...yeah Ick!

What about asking around your friends circle, or at DHs work?  Go to the library and get some books on flooring, figure out what's the least expensive overall, what it looks like you guys could maybe do on your own with the help of a friend or two.  Also, youtube has a lot of DIY and instructional videos that could walk you through doing it yourself.  Something is better than nothing until you can get someone in there to do it.  And I forgot to ask - what's in there now?  Is it bare floor like cement? ugly tile? stained carpet?  I'm just thinking, if it's just ugly but it's passable, I'd resign yourself to the fact that it isn't going to get done and start looking at alternatives.  Maybe you could get a large rug?  carpet remnants?  At Home Depot and Lowes they have those carpet tile squares that are pretty cheap.  It sucks relying on someone else, especially when they're being a bum about it.  And if you're going to not take any other advice in this post, you'd better be prepared to be done with the crocodile tears and start yelling and screaming at your father.  The time for niceties has LONG come and gone, dear.    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What kind of floor is it? If it's inerlocking wood or laminate... It's seriously not that hard. If your DH can find a friend to help..THey may make a few more errors than somone who knows what they're doing but it's better than not having a floor.. There are lots of instructional videos to watch online or even classes at Lowe's HD, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"