Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

OH MY GOD

DH was just undressing LO for her bath, and there was a freaking EARWIG crawling on her!!! OH MY GOD!

Re: OH MY GOD

• Options

I'm sorry if I'm completely ignorant, but what is an earwig?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJaredandKatie:

Glad I'm not the only one who has no clue what that is.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

it's an insect.. they tend to be mostly outdoors but can come inside as well.

Did you have her outside or playing on a damp floor?

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    imageJaredandKatie:

It's an insect, and they "bite" with their pincers... and they're like cockroaches, in that they're VERY difficult to kill, and they can grow to be pretty damn big! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *shudders* The very thought is making my skin crawl, especially since we've got a crapload of black ants in the house right now....

• Options
    Oh sick--I googled it!  Your poor girl! :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imagelisswastaken:

it's an insect.. they tend to be mostly outdoors but can come inside as well.

Did you have her outside or playing on a damp floor?

Just on a blanket in the living room! *dies*
  • Options
    I know what they are - I did NOT know they could bite.  Are you sure?  I've never known them to bite...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

imagediana.filipi:
    I know what they are - I did NOT know they could bite.  Are you sure?  I've never known them to bite...

Heh.. they pinch, rather than bite, which is why I put "bite"... either way, not nice!!!

• Options
    Earwigs

Before we outline how to take care of an earwig bite it is appropriate to give a little background information about earwigs and why they bite. If you're not interested in this and only want to know what to do if you get an earwig bite, skip ahead to the next section "How to take care of an earwig bite".

Earwigs are a member of the phylum Arthropoda and are a type of insect. The earwig is native to Eurasia but were introduce into the Americas from Europe in the 1900's and have been considered an invasive pest ever since, both because of earwig bites and for their propensity to decimate domestic plants.

Both male and female earwigs have forceps. Male earwigs have curved forceps while females have straight forceps.

When disturbed earwigs may emit a foul smelling liquid as a self defense mechanism, but as you now probably know, if further threatened, earwigs bite, or more accurately "pinch" with the forceps on their tail ends.

How to take care of an earwig bite

As stated in the section above, an earwig bite is actually a pinch from the forceps which both males and females possess.

In an earwig bite there is not poison exuded so there is no danger that is inherent to an earwig bite in itself. However the forceps of the earwig can be quite strong and an earwig bite may be quite painful and may even induce bleeding.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    JLGYJLGY member
    EEEwwwww!!! Earwigs are the nastiest little insects. This reminds me of when I was young (pre-teen?) I was wearing a bathing suit (full piece) and my side was itchy all day and I kept scratching it. At the end of the day I took off my bathing suit and there had been an earwig in there all day long wiggling around and I had been scratching it!!!! Makes me sick still thinking about it. Yuck. 
  • Options

imageJLGY:
    EEEwwwww!!! Earwigs are the nastiest little insects. This reminds me of when I was young (pre-teen?) I was wearing a bathing suit (full piece) and my side was itchy all day and I kept scratching it. At the end of the day I took off my bathing suit and there had been an earwig in there all day long wiggling around and I had been scratching it!!!! Makes me sick still thinking about it. Yuck. 

Aaaah, that just made me gag. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"