Trouble TTC

Have you shared your TTTC w/ friends or family?

Hello Ladies.  Have you shared your TTTC w/ friends and/or family?  If so, did you feel "relieved" afterward?

I am an extremely private person IRL and I have not told anyone we are TTC, but I wonder if telling my sister or possibly my MIL about our issues and upcoming RE appointment may reduce some of my anxiety, sadness, etc.

Just curious whether those that have shared with family and/or friends felt any relief in getting it off their chest?

Thanks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Have you shared your TTTC w/ friends or family?

• We waited until we started working with an RE before we told anyone, so over a year.  Sometimes I wish I would have told someone sooner because I think I could have used a support system during some of the more depressing months.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't feel any relief...in fact, some of my family/friends I wish I hadn't told.
    My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • Loading the player...
  • To be honest, my entire immediate family and a few close friends know our whole story right down to DH's SA results. We've been pretty open about it because I'm very close to my family and need their support, but also with some of our friends so if anyone else has to deal with IF they have someone to talk to.

That said, DH posts it on FB. When we found out about the IUI... look on facebook.. "IUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Really? lol. I guess he's excited but he tells everyone everything.

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

• There are some people I wish I didn't tell because they spread the word around a bit too much. I regret that. However, I think when it comes to family, I wanted them to know for 1. support and 2. to find out if they had any issues TTC like me. MIL had issues (MH is adopted) so it was nice to hear her stories and get support from her.
    TTC since November 2009. DH diagnosed with sperm antibodies. IUI #1 = BFN IUI #2 = BFN On the road to IVF.... Egg Retrieval Jan 21, 2011 16 eggs retrieved Egg transfer Jan 26, 2011 Only 2 viable eggs transferred. 1 IVF, 1 ICSI IVF #1 = BFP :-) 10/3/11 No heart beat at 38 weeks: Our baby Jack became an angel 12/14/11 = natural BFP Rainbow baby Samantha Jacklyn born8/8/12. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I have told my Mom and 3 of my closest friends but that is it. DH is not comfortable with talking to his family about it so we are keeping it quiet for now.

• after we started seeing the RE and a year had gone by (we have one DS and people were bugging us constantly) we finally told.  Everyone that wants to know does...I was sick of keeping it in and all the lies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just told my very close friend back in the Caribbean last month. My mom knows and this weekend I told the wife of DH's friend since she confided that she had undergone IUI as well.

Our New Home! Renovation Underway! The Law Nest
    TTC Journey
    7/2008 - begin TTC
    7/2009 - began charting
    9/2009 - Dx Endometriosis
    10/2009 - HSG/SA (Normal)
    12/2009 -6/2010 - Lupron #1 & 2
    Sep-Nov 2010- Clomid Cycles #1&2 = BFN
    Dec 2010 - Clomid Cycle #3 = BFP (1/11/11);no h/b (2/10/11); D&C (2/23/11)
    5/11-6/11 - herbal tea regime = BFN
    7/24/2011- herbal tea regime = surprise BFP
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We haven't told any of our family that we are TTC or or having TTTC.  We are private people too so we keep it all between us and my Bump friends of course.

At the beginning of the year when I was thinking about seeing an RE I did talk to my BFF because she had been seeing a RE for 8 years and I wanted a referral.  I now talk to her a bit about our treatment since she went through IVF several times.  I wouldn't say it was a relief to tell her but it is nice having her to talk to.

• There are several friends who know that have gone through IF treatments (and a couple who know that I'm just super close to that didn't go through IF).  Honestly it really has helped having the friends who have gone through the same thing to talk to.

That being said, our families don't know.  I'm sure they suspect.  They all know we want kids, we built and moved into a house that's way too big for just the 2 of us 2.5 years ago...and we're still childless.  At first I said, well if we've been trying for a year I'll tell my parents.  Then it was, if we start seeing an RE I'll tell my parents.  Then it was, if we need to do IF treatments I'll tell my parents.  We're beyond all that and I still haven't told.  All I keep thinking is...I can never "untell".  So for now, I'm keeping it to myself.

Good luck to you.

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• We've always been pretty open about it, but things became much more open after we miscarried and then started taking medication.  I think it helps to be able to tell some of my close friends what it going on, even if they don't really understand it.  They are good at listening.  And I've found out about other friends who have had the same struggles or are going through it right now, so we've been able to share war stories.  :)
    Stopped BCP 7/08 BFP 11/09 - Natural MC 12/09 PCOS 2/10 - Began taking Metformin Femara with trigger from 3/10-7/10 IUI#1 7/10 - BFN Taking a break while I work on my Masters... Now cycling on my own with Metformin. BFP 2/18/11!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've told my mom and 3 close friends.  I think that it was a relief to tell someone at the time, but I can't say now that I feel better or worse, one way or another.  I had to tell my mom, cause I had to ask about her medical history, but I still don't talk about it very much now with the friends that I shared info with initially.  Sometimes they ask to see how I'm doing, and I get tired of saying "same old, same old".  Just wish we'd all get KTFU'd already!
  • I am an open sharing person with everyone so my family knew we were "trying" right after we got married.  His family has caught on too...I think.  I finally had to spill the details to my mom  because she is constantly pressuring me and asking bold questions at inappropriate times.  Now hopefully she will think twice before opening her mouth, especially around DH.

It's a tough call, but it sure felt nice to get it off my chest to someone other than DH who hears about it all the time.

GL! 

• I have one friend that I told because I knew that she had gone thru something similar.  Another friends knows because of all my Dr appts~he doesn't ask a lot of questions but it nice about saying "good luck"  

I have not told anyone in my family because they are all BSC and I forbid H to talk to his family because they'll put too much pressure on us.  so its mostly bumpy support :)

• We have told my immediate family and some of my close friends. We tried to tell only people we thought would be supportive. So far it was a good choice for us.
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I shared with a few close friends from the beginning to a shoulder to cry on other than DH.  After seeing an RE we told our families and close friends.  Although we do not keep it a "secret" anymore we are not telling everyone everything.  I still would love to have a little bit of surprise in telling.
  • Pretty much everyone we know knows.  We are definitely not private about stuff like that.  Personally, most people IRL don't relieve my anxiety about IF.  I didn't tell them for support or anything - just because I'm a big mouth.  The only people that really make me feel better are the girls here :)
  • I have surprised myself with how open I am.  My family knew from the beginning and some of my close friends.  At this point more people know than don't.  Maybe it's just because it's constantly on my brain or I'm just way too open.  I'm also a social worker and am surrounded all day at work by other social workers, so even when I thought I was hiding my emotions well, they all kept asking me if I was okay because I didn't seem like myself.  I told each of them at different times and I'm really glad I did.  I don't have to worry anymore about putting on a mask if I don't feel like it.  Plus, they're social workers so they are super supportive and never make the insensitive comments that I've heard from others.
  • Not on purpose.  We had no intention of it, but my family's nosy and started asking questions.  Have not felt any better with them knowing.  Mostly adds more stress with more people asking questions.
  • We weren't going to, but I had a lap for cysts and possible endo and didn't feel right not telling my parents I was going under GA. I thought I could be more vague about what it was for, but I didn't feel right lying about that either once it came around.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Honestly I was not able to talk about it until after trying over a year because just the mention of it made me cry.  Then I found out that someone I worked with had trouble conceiving and so we started talking.  I've been more open about it since then except with my inlaws because not only are they big gossipers, they also would bug me constantly about what I should do.  My mom, dad, and sisters are the only family members that know.  GL. 
  • We've told a couple of friends, but not our families. Mainly because 1. I know they would worry waaay too much and 2. because they would be hovering. I am having a lap done and I am really on the fence about telling them about that since I will be under general anesthesia, but honestly I would rather avoid dealing with 1 and 2 above.

• imagerenafaith:
    I didn't feel any relief...in fact, some of my family/friends I wish I hadn't told.

This....definitely.

TTC since April 2009 July 2009: ultrasound & bloodwork, found cyst on ovaries August 2009: Lap done, diagnosed with Stage 2 Endo and Ovarian Cyst April & May 2010: 50mg Clomid: BFN, quit taking because no monitoring June 2010: SA done=Low Motility July 2nd: 1st Appt with Urologist August 16th: 2nd SA for DH and appt with Urologist= 16% motility and 3% morph. First RE Appt December 2010: DH's SA was way worse than we thought. RE told us IVF only. IVF#1: January 2011-canceled due to apparently a "very impressive" cyst (words from my nurse). IVF #1.2: February-March 2011:??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"