Austin Babies

so much for good karma: thanks for nothing, The Dog

Remember that dog I "rescued"?  Well, right before The Lady came to get him, I noticed fleas on his belly.  We'd treated our pets about 6 weeks before that, and I went out that day and got spot treatments for them again.  But I went with a cheapie brand because Frontline and the others come to like $100 for the three pets.

Fast forward.  Today.  MY FOCKING PETS HAVE FLEAS.  The cat was in the house (they're outside 90% of the time lately) and when he got up off a blanket, I found flea dust.  Checked the dog bed - more flea dust.  Oh, and in my haste to get the cat out of my house, I whipped the back door open and forgot the focking alarm was on, so that woke DS from his nap.  Which scared the hell out of him, so he cried off and on all the way to my aunt's house in Buda, and he spazzed again tonight when I put him in his crib (probably because the last time he was in there he got the hell scared out of him) and I've been in there THREE times to rock him and he's STILL screaming.  I don't know what to do.

So pretty much, FML.  I SO do not have the time to de-flea my whole house (which from what I'm reading means I need to vacuum 85 times a day and treat the house with a bunch of pesticides, which I pretty much CAN'T do with two little ones on the floors all day).  Oh, and being the end of the month and all, I won't see DH before like midnight any night this week.  So I get to deal with this alone.  

And I can't even vacuum upstairs now because V's actually asleep for the first time today for more than an hour and the vacuum would wake her right up AND I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help DS settle down either.  So I feel gross and flea infested and really, really overwhelmed.  I'm seriously hysterical at this point.  :(  

Sorry for the long vent.  Again: hysterical. 

the bug & bee blog
(read it. you know you want to.)
anderson . september 2008
vivian . february 2010
mabel . august 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: so much for good karma: thanks for nothing, The Dog

• I'm so sorry! Fleas suck! A natural remedy that has worked for us is banana leaves. For whatever reason the fleas burrow into them, so we've put them under furniture before.

I hope de-fleaing isn't a long process.

• omg mlf, that sucks SO much! I am so sorry, I would be totally melting down at this point if I were you. ((hugs)) you'll get through this and in maybe 20...30 years tops it will be a hilarious story you tell..

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • :( UGH! I'm so sorry!

What worked for us re: fleas - diatomaceous earth sprinkled over all carpeted surfaces and vacuumed/reapplied daily, washing all laundry that might have come in contact with the animals, and frontline on the dogs. We did that about 2 months ago after dealing with fleas since December and they're all gone.

• My savior in the past has been Revolution.  It's expesive, but it works.  I had a college roommate that never treated her 2 cats, so my cat was covered in fleas.  I used Revolution and all the fleas just fell off, and they didn't get back on him. 

For the house, I don't know what to tell you that's kiddo friendly.  :(

• I'm so sorry, M. I hope you can get rid of them quickly. That really isn't fair and I would be very frustrated too!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• That totally sucks! Any trips out of town soon? Even for the weekend? I'm also wondering if you do Revolution or Frontline on the animals, if that will kill the fleas and keep them off, and then if you vacuum every other day or so and change the bag each time, then that will suck up any eggs and/or babies.  So sorry you are dealing with this!
  • Boo, that sucks! I don't have any flea remedies, but I could bring you a bottle of wine.
  • Anywhere you could go so you could bomb the house?  That's the only thing that worked for me.  I didn't have little kids at the time though.
  • oh not fun,  you have my sympathies!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, that sucks you are having to deal with that now too. You were such an angel to take that dog in and try and find him a home. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this now with two babies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh! I'd be freaking too.

It was awesome of you to take the dog in and so sad for your pets that they caught the drattted fleas.

((((Hugs)))

• That sucks :-(  I am so sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"