Austin Babies

WWYD re: car seat and Mexico trip

I'm torn.  We are going to Mexico this summer and we'll have the kids with us.  My instinct says to take the carseats.  But here is my dilema:

(a)  We have to carry both carseats, the large rolling suitcase, two carry-on sized bags, the diaper bag, and a pack-n-play.  I think we can do it if we both wear a carseat on our back (in those backpack type carriers - we have one, just need to buy another).  Then I would push the double stroller while rolling the suitcase (the stroller can hold the diaper bag and one of the carry bags).  DH can carry the pack-n-play and the other carry bag.  But boy this doesn't sound fun. 

(b)  We are staying at the resort the whole time.  The only car ride will be in the shuttle to the hotel and back from the airport.  I've already confirmed the shuttles all have seatbelts so we can install the carseats in them.  But then I worry - what if we get in an accident in that 15 minutes?

What would you guys do?  Seems like a lot of headache for 30 minutes travel time.  But then again, my kids lives are worth any headache. 

Re: WWYD re: car seat and Mexico trip

• Honestly, I wouldn't bring them.  We just took S to WDW and were on buses for a lot longer than 15 minutes several times during the week and they didn't even have seatbelts. 

We brought one for the plane ride because we bought him a seat, but otherwise it just sat in the hotel room.   If both kiddos have a seat on the plane it might be worth it, but not otherwise, imo.  It's a short ride and you can strap them on your laps.  :)

• I'd never ever ride in Mexico without the kids in carseats.  We went to Playa a few years ago and the ride from the Cancun airport to Playa was scary.  Crazy roads, crazy traffic, everyone driving really fast, driver jerking over to the shoulder to get around people waiting to turn.  Yikes.

Not to be all pearl clutchy about it, because I totally think that lugging the car seats sounds like a PITA ... but having been on those roads, I wouldn't want to take the risk.

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemlf625:

I'd never ever ride in Mexico without the kids in carseats.  We went to Playa a few years ago and the ride from the Cancun airport to Playa was scary.  Crazy roads, crazy traffic, everyone driving really fast, driver jerking over to the shoulder to get around people waiting to turn.  Yikes.

Not to be all pearl clutchy about it, because I totally think that lugging the car seats sounds like a PITA ... but having been on those roads, I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Yep, this. I'd take them, no matter how much of a PITA it's going to be or how short the car trips are.

• Bring the carseat for the baby, but I think your DD will be fine without it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would bring one for your ds and just hold your dd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had a similar dilemma when we took K1 to NYC.

The only time we were in a car was on the way from the airport to the place we were staying and then again on the way back.

I was a nervous nelly and decided to take the darn thing, as big and bulky as it was. Didn't know about the Go go kidz travelmate at the time.

Now with 2, I'm dreading having to do it, but I think I'd still opt for taking both but it is a huge PITA!

Have a great trip!

• Thanks guys!  I realized while running this morning (I always think best when I'm running for whatever reason) that the double-stroller can hold DS's carseat.  I totally forgot!  So we're definitely going to take them.  DH can carry DD's on his back and carry the PNP.  I'll pull the suitcase, and push the stroller (with DS, his carseat, DD, and two carry-ons inside).  Should work!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"