Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

I feel like I'm starving my baby.

She will BF 4-5 times during the day and ALWAYS acts ravenous at bedtime. She wakes up within an hour of going to sleep and wants to nurse again. And she will sleep at most five hours (which is great, for me), but is usually hungry again in three hours.

And when DH feeds her when I'm working night shifts she takes 6-10 oz before acting satisfied! I can't pump that much in one sitting unless I'm really, really full. I can't keep up!!!

She gets so mad when nursing, like I'm starving her.

Supply help? Tips? (I'm going to start solids next week sometime, hoping that helps her too).

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: I feel like I'm starving my baby.

• Options
    CTri17CTri17 member

oatmeal

fenugreek

dark beer

lots of water

and just try to have her nurse more often

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    All of the above. And when you do pump stay on the pump for 5 minutes after the milk stops. I notice a increase with in a few days when I do this. And drinking water, you should never feel thirsty. 
    Aug. 15 - Jan. Siggy Challenge "Mean Girls" Mona Vanderwaal Pretty Little Liars  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also keep in mind they will drink more out a bottle because it is easier to get the milk out, so don't take that as a sign.
    Aug. 15 - Jan. Siggy Challenge "Mean Girls" Mona Vanderwaal Pretty Little Liars  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    CTri17CTri17 member
    AND remember pumps aren't as efficient as LO, LO will get more
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    Krisx2Krisx2 member

I've tried some of these tips, but not staying on the pump longer, or fenugreek. Thanks Big Smile

It's just frustrating being so commited to breastfeeding but feeling inadequate.

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imageCTri17:

oatmeal

fenugreek

dark beer

lots of water

and just try to have her nurse more often

All of this, and really the best way to increase your supply is to just put baby to breast as often as possible. Baby is way more efficient than a pump. And when you do pump, let the pump keep going a few minutes (5-10) after your milk stops coming out.

• Options
    imageKrisx2:

I've tried some of these tips, but not staying on the pump longer, or fenugreek. Thanks Big Smile

It's just frustrating being so commited to breastfeeding but feeling inadequate.

Do not feel inadequate! You are doing the best you can do. BFing has such a mental component that your supply will be effected by your feelings of inadequacy. Definitely do not let the amount she eats from a bottle discourage you; your LO is more efficient at getting milk out of you than the pump. Maybe your LO likes to eat a lot before going to bed in preparation for a long stretch of sleep.

• Options

I know you said you can't keep up, but it might also be that she's starting to prefer the bottle because the milk comes out faster and with less effort. I've had to go to EP'ing because my LO will kick around and oftentimes cry when nursing. If he does nurse without crying, he'll be eating for like 25-30 minutes, vs. 10 min or less for a 6 oz bottle. I'm a little sad about only EP'ing, but at least he's still getting my breast milk. Solids might help too, good luck!

• Options
    I had a sudden drop in supply and started taking More  Milk plus by motherlove.  I do the liquid version.  My supply went from 1/2 oz, back up to the normal 6 oz. within  a day!  (Warning, it tastes TERRIBLE but does the job!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"