Attachment Parenting

Overstimulation in our society

Man I'm getting old. Tried to meet a friend at the mall but left after 40 min because every store had the music cranked up so loud LO couldn't get settled. Sitting in the car nursing DS and getting dirty looks from people walking by. Whatever it's the only calm quiet place I could find before DS totally decomped. I don't remember things being so blaringly loud and in your face when I was young. Is it just me or is pop culture getting progressively more obnoxious? The only quiet place is DS's nursery! Ok vent over. :( 1ht
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: Overstimulation in our society

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagematildasun:

I was going to post the same thing!  I agree that the world is really too noisy of a place.  I've been guilty of having the TV on for "background noise" (a habit I started in college when I lived alone).  I've switched to the radio (NPR - ha!) instead since I don't want kiddo watching TV but sometimes I worry even that isn't ideal.

But the mall - ick - between the blaring music and the obnoxious scent from places like Abercombie - total ick!

• Loading the player...
  • imagencbelle:

But the mall - ick - between the blaring music and the obnoxious scent from places like Abercombie - total ick!

I HATE that smell!!!!!  Whenever we walk by (which is hardly ever) my husband will just say, "We're not cool enough to shop there." 

• imagejkalmommy2b:
    imagencbelle:

I HATE that smell!!!!!  Whenever we walk by (which is hardly ever) my husband will just say, "We're not cool enough to shop there." 

Lol. Yeah, we're not cool enough to even be seen in that wing of the mall. :). I used to have TV on when I lived alone, too. Now I couldnt even tell you what's on when. The only TV I watch now is America's Funniest Videos (my personal Prozac). Even that, though, I have on mute while DS snoozes and I get some laundry folded. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imagematildasun:
    Ha. Isn't that funny. I'm looking forward to checking this out during DS's nap. I'm glad this is a real issue and I'm not just hypersensitive. Have you heard the theory that TV may cause/aggravate ADHD? Apparently, children's developing brains try to follow all the skips, hops & jumps and it's just too much. I don't know if I'm sold on it or not but I did notice that no single image is ever on the screen more than a few seconds.
  • As long as we're on this topic... I hate to sound anti-democratic, but I wouldn't mind seeing less subway performers. The times I ride on the subway alone are my only chances at "me" time, to read a book or just sit and daydream. I get really annoyed when subway performers enter my car and interrupt this.

There are also those times I can manage to get DD to fall asleep in the Ergo on our way home from an activity-filled day and a a loud performer comes on our train car and wakes her up. Grrr.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I must be getting old too then.  I have had to take DD out to the car to nurse her because should wouldn't settle down anywhere due to the noise.  I also have gone to the mall and had to do the "club yell" (you know when you have to lean in like you are going whisper and then yell so your friends can hear you) in some stores.  It's ridiculous.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • imagenorbert5:

I must be getting old too then.  I have had to take DD out to the car to nurse her because should wouldn't settle down anywhere due to the noise.  I also have gone to the mall and had to do the "club yell" (you know when you have to lean in like you are going whisper and then yell so your friends can hear you) in some stores.  It's ridiculous.

LOL. I love the term Club Yell. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"