TTC After a Loss

If it's not too painful to talk about it...............

My dr called today with the bloodwork they took the other day. They said all my levels looked good, progesterone, etc, and that my HCG was down to a 4. This was my first mc and she said since they didn't find any "reason" for me to have lost the pregnancy then something must have been wrong with the embryo. I was a hair over four weeks when I miscarried. Has anyone else been told after a first mc that it was just chromosomal and that future pregnancies should be fine, and then mc again? I'm glad on one hand that everything checked out, but terrified to start trying again in a couple months only to have the same thing happen.

Re: If it's not too painful to talk about it...............

• I'm very sorry for your loss. 

Sadly, for me, it did happen twice. I was told it was an implantation issue the first time in Dec and then m/c again in April.

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told the exact same thing. Im right there with you on the scared part....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP-2/4/10 EDD-9/27/10 M/C-2/11/10 7w3d D&C and Methotrexate-2/19/10
    BFP-11/21/10 M/C-11/25/10
    Clomid Cycle #1-BFN
    Clomid Cycle #2-BFP-1/18/2011 M/C-1/26/2011
    BFP-5/18/11 Riley arrived 2/3/12 8lbs6oz 21.5in
  • Loading the player...
  • vflipovflipo member
    I'm still being told after two losses that they have no reason to believe I won't have a healthy pregnancy. 
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • The vast majority of early losses are chromosomal. The vast majority of those are random, i.e. no more likely to happen to you again than to anyone else. One miscarriage puts you at precisely the same statistical risk for miscarriage in your second pregnancy as you were in the first - in other words, it does not raise your likelihood of miscarriage at all.
  • I am so sorry for you loss.

You can see my stats in my siggie. I had a succesful pg. after my first early loss, but since then I had another c/p (which was really borderline and would not have even shown up had I not had a beta and I wish I never ecven had that beta) and a terrible late loss of a chromosomally perfect son. I tend to be a bit cynical but IMO pregnancy is a crapshoot and I am hoping if I throw enough sh!t against the wall eventually something will stick.

Chances are you will be fine next time. Statistics are on your side. Yes, things can go badly again. But everyone here is in the same boat of having that fear. This is a great place to get support while TTCAL.

Good luck :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • So sorry to hear about your loss... This is a great board for support, welcome.

I had one m/c, and I was told the same thing as you... Still TTC, so hopefully we can both have better luck next time. :-) 

formerly *Abby*
    BFP 10/05/09 - natural m/c 10/22/09... BFP 07/18/2010 - My BFP Chart - Due March 29, 2011
    My Pregnancy Blog
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "You are the best thing, that's ever been mine." - Taylor Swift, "Mine"
    Labor Buddy to leneae10 and kilissa
  • "but IMO pregnancy is a crapshoot and I am hoping if I throw enough sh!t against the wall eventually something will stick."

Gummibear you rock!!

• imagebrandykf:

"but IMO pregnancy is a crapshoot and I am hoping if I throw enough sh!t against the wall eventually something will stick."

Gummibear you rock!!

Thanks :) I have to have that attitude otherwise I will drive myself nuts!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • I haven't had my second BFP yet, but yes I was told there's no reason I wont have a perfectly healthy pregnancy when I am lucky enough to conceive again.  I wish you the best of luck on your next pregnancy and I'm so sorry you had to experience your first loss.  
    Natural m/c 12/24/09. IUI #1 BFN. IUI #2 Chemical. IUI #3 BFN. Diagnosis MFI. IVF #1 BFP. Adriana 4/11/12.
  • Unfortunately there's no guarantee that you'll never miscarry again.  You just have to make sure your ready to TTC again and go for it. 

Sadly, i lost DS # 2 to what they *think* was a chromosomal abnormality.  of course they said it was a fluke occurrence.

when we got pg. again we sadly lost that baby too at 8wk4d. 

sorry this isn't a happy ending but we're going to TTC again knowing that you just never know w/ each pregnancy. we're just going to have faith that we'll get our 2nd take home baby. 

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • I guess all I can do is make sure to wait until my body is ready and then go for it. I honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to enjoy it when I do get a BFP again, I'm going to be so worried the whole time.
  • Yes, sadly, we were told our first loss at 12 weeks, 2 days, was most likely a one time occurance, and there was no reason to believe we would have any problems in the future.

We have had four more losses since then.

• imagebrandykf:
    I guess all I can do is make sure to wait until my body is ready and then go for it. I honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to enjoy it when I do get a BFP again, I'm going to be so worried the whole time.

You'll defintely be worried but it's not in our hands. we can only take care of ourselves the best we can and try to remain calm and positive. 

After i lost Wyatt i never thought we'd have another child b/c i was so grief stricken, but in 2months i was ready to try again and alot of the fear had gone.  of course i went on to get my bfp and sadly it ended in m/c.  but all i can do is try again and keep hoping that i'll get my happy, healthy baby. 

give yourself some time and talk to your ob when you do get your next bfp.  hopefully they'd be able to give you some extra testing/monitoring to put your mind at ease. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • OMG I'm so sorry, you must be so strong to deal with that many losses. My heart aches for you and I hope your dreams come true one day.
  • I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I was told exactly what your doctor told you.   There was some sort of chromosomal problem.  So now we are excited to TTC and I feel confident that we will have a healthy baby.  I have to have this attitude.  Negative energy is not good for me nor is it good for future baby. Good luck to you!!!!
  • imageambrandau2:

Yes, sadly, we were told our first loss at 12 weeks, 2 days, was most likely a one time occurance, and there was no reason to believe we would have any problems in the future.

I admire how strong you are, god bless you!  

Natural m/c 12/24/09. IUI #1 BFN. IUI #2 Chemical. IUI #3 BFN. Diagnosis MFI. IVF #1 BFP. Adriana 4/11/12.
  • imagemystikaljess:
    imageambrandau2:

Yes, sadly, we were told our first loss at 12 weeks, 2 days, was most likely a one time occurance, and there was no reason to believe we would have any problems in the future.

I admire how strong you are, god bless you!  

Oh, thank you. I'm not always, I promise you.

All of the women here blow me away with their strength. One loss or multiple, we are all just doing the best we can. I love that about us.

• My first pregnancy was a missed m/c.  My doctor told me that there was no reason to believe that it would ever happen again.  I trusted that she knew what she was talking about.  I became pregnant again my first cycle after m/c, and now have a healthy 4 year old DS. 

When DH and I decided to TTC #2, I honestly never thought that I would have to worry about another m/c.  My doctor told me that the likelihood that I would m/c was slim to none after my first, so I just assumed that she was correct.  I kick myself when I think about that now.  I knew better, but I trusted what she said to me. 

DH came home from a deployment, and I got a BFP 3 weeks later.  I m/c.  I was stunned because I never really thought it would happen to me again.  I became pregnant again a couple months later.  Again, I m/c.  I found out I was pregnant at the end of September 2009, and found out in November that I was having another missed m/c. 

Honestly, I never thought I would have one m/c, and now I have had four.  My doctor told me that I didn't have to worry about it because the majority of women will have at least one m/c in their lifetime.  I had my one, so she said that I was in the clear.  They tell this to their patients after their first m/c because the likelihood of having multiple losses is slim, but I think it is not the best course to take because they never know.  I went from being told that I would probably never have another m/c to now having a 50/50 chance of having a m/c with each pregnancy.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was (mis)diagnosed with a partial molar pregnancy, so with my first loss/d&c I had the full fetal testing done. It all came back "normal" and said they had no reason to think I would have a problem again. I am currently going through my 2nd loss. 
  • I?m sorry for your loss. This board is great place to come though. I had an early loss and was told the same thing as you and we are currently TTC again, so hopefully this time around we will have better luck!

BFP #1 4/22/10 MC 5/5/10 (6w4d) EDD 12/25/10
    BFP #2 10/19/10 CP 10/27/10 (4w6d) EDD 6/30/11
    BFP #3 5/10/11 Lucas Abelardo born 12/29/11 at 37w3d
    BFP #4 12/10/12 MMC 1/14/13 (9w3d) D&C 1/15/13 EDD 8/16/13 

BFP #5 8/22/13 Lucia Elizabeth born 4/17/14 at 38w

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had a very early loss - a c/p really, they don't know why, but yes it was most likely chromosomal.  I got pregnant again the very next cycle, but sadly there was no heartbeat at 8 weeks.  I had a D&C and asked that they do testing.  The tests came back that it was chromosomal and incompatable with life. 

DH and I met with a genetic counselor 2 weeks ago and she basically said that there is no reason to think that it will happen again.  I am at increased risk to chromosome issues b/c of age, but even with that she said it is more likely that we will have a normal pregnancy and a healthy baby.  Of course, that is not how statistics work - they give me the same odds each and every time.  While yes, it seems unlikely, it is the same chance every time. 

One loss or multiple losses - none is easy and I hope that you never have to go through another one again.  I hope for healthy, take home babies for all of the wonderful, amazing ladies on this board.

• I got the implantation excuse and the ol' first was a fluke, second was bad luck... waiting to hear what genius they come up with if I lose this one. (I'm a pessimist.)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards