Breastfeeding

Purposeful arm movements at 11 weeks?

DS is his own worst enemy while nursing. He keeps pushing the nipple out of his mouth, then grunting and rooting. He usually does at the end of the session. So, is the pushing intentional and the rooting just a reflex and he's actually done? Or, is the rooting intentional and the pushing just his flailing limbs? I don't want to force-feed him or starve him. :-/ TIA
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: Purposeful arm movements at 11 weeks?

• Babies have cephalo-caudal development, meaning they mature from the head down.  This would support that your DS has intentional rooting and the flailing limbs are most likey unintentional.  Have you tried to swaddle him and see if your nursing sessions go smoother?  He'll let you know if he's hungry and he'll turn away or quit sucking if he's not hungry.  It gets easier when they're a little older.  GL.

• Awesome. I didn't think I was going to get a straight answer. Thanks! I will definitely try swaddling. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"