Baby Showers
Options

Input on shower games?

With my mom's family, the person who plans the shower normally puts together 3-4 games and I've typically seen one game at each shower that includes several items (i.e. diapers, formula, bottles, food) that are then given to the mother to be after the game is over. Something that I would like to do though is suggest to the hostess of the shower what that particular game might be. The thing is since I am helping my friend plan and pay for my friend shower (and the budget doesn't exist to play that game in that shower, I mean the prizes are coming from the dollar store) I have found several games that seem fun. One of the games is guess what is in the diaper bag. For me, I think this game would be helpful since I keep obsessing about the diaper bag and what to put in it (even after reading several posts on the bump and other sources). I just really want to get input on what people logically use from people I trust the advice from (and that I know are in the same or very similar situations). So I wanted to suggest this game to my shower hostess for my mom's family as the game that involves the purchased items that they traditionally have one of. What would be the most tactful way of addressing this to let them know that if they can't manage the idea in the budget or if they just don't like it they can veto it but express that I would like to see it?

ETA: I would feel comfortable asking if the game didn't require buying items like the diaper bag and diapers. My hostess is fairly laid back and is welcome to game suggestions, I just am unsure due to the cost. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Input on shower games?

• Options
    I don't get it...people have to guess what is in a diaper bag as a game? And the things in the diaper bag are provided by the host (potentially)?
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options

Here is a basic synopsis of the game, maybe should have been included above.

3. Baby Items in the Bag

Keep guests guessing with this practical game. Put at least ten common, useful baby items inside a diaper bag; a bib, teething ring, rattle, bottle and diaper are just a few goodies that are also fairly inexpensive. Give each guest a pen and paper before passing the diaper bag around. Without looking, each person should stick a hand inside the bag and identify as many items as possible. Give each two minutes to feel around and make their guesses before moving the bag to the next person. Once everyone has had a turn, find out who had the most correct answers. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd say scrap that game and opt for something that would be a little less expensive to put together.  Do a Gift Bingo or something like that.  Games don't always have to be so over the top.  

The game you posted could end up taking up a bunch of time if you have a lot of guests.  2 mins per person is a lot of time, imo

• Options
    imageauntiecrys:

I'd say scrap that game and opt for something that would be a little less expensive to put together.  Do a Gift Bingo or something like that.  Games don't always have to be so over the top.  

The game you posted could end up taking up a bunch of time if you have a lot of guests.  2 mins per person is a lot of time, imo

sorry... i misread your original post... if you WANT to play this game, and your hostess is asking for your suggestions, why not just give her a couple of ideas and include this one.  If it is something that is traditionally done in your family, mention that as well. However, just be aware that it is ultimately the hostess's decision as to what games she organizes.  

• Options
    Hmmm...I see. It sounds a little odd to me. You could end up with with a lot of winners and wasting a lot of time...what are the guests supposed to do while each person takes their 2 minutes? 30 guests is ONE HOUR of passing a diaper bag around. Unless you are dead set on this game, I would skip it.
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options

It is an interesting concept and would work very well for someone that never had a child.  Most people will "know" what is in a diaper bag usually and you'll end up with a lot of "winners".  Besides...I agree with the other pp...2 minutes is a long time.  They played a similar game at my DD's shower but one item was put in a paper bag (there were 15 items).  Her GF tried to make them things that were hard to figure out.  People only took about 15-20 seconds on each and it seemed like it lasted forever.  There were still about 3 winners (there were about 40 guests there).

A game that is pretty short and one that you can still keep a bunch of baby related stuff is to have people remember what is on a tray filled with baby items (once the tray is removed from the room).  They did a variation of that at a shower I attended.  The mom-to-be walked around with the tray and everyone was told to look closely because she would take the tray out and they would need to use their memories.  Well, once she walked out (and stayed out) we were asked questions about the mom-to-be (was she wearing earrings, lipstick, eye shadow, what color was her top, pants, shoes, hair up or down, etc).  It was really funny since people were so into what was ON the tray.  You then get to keep the items that were on the tray.  Course the one with the most right answers wins.  There could be more than one winner...but you can cut a deck of cards to decide only one winner.  They just had "prizes" for each winner.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"