Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

c-section good/bad/ugly

I found out today that I may have to have a c-section and I am really freaked out about it!

If you have had a c-section, please share your experience!  I am really anxious about the spinal, being strapped down, and the recovery!!

Re: c-section good/bad/ugly

• Options

Ask that you not be strapped down if that is something you are concerned about.

My c-section was not bad, recovery was pretty good.  Unplanned c-section, I was up and around in about six hours, six days PP DH, DS and I went out to lunch, 9 days PP we went yard saleing, 10 days PP we went to church (a three hour endeavor at our church), I didn't have any major complications, I healed well and only needed pain meds at night after I left the hospital for about 5 days.

• Options
    My DH says I probably traumatized my OB because I FREAKED when he told me I would have to have one.I feel silly about it now. I actually enjoyed the whole thing. I went into labor on the morning of my scheduled c/s at home and I dont ever want to do that again. I was terrified of all the same things as you. I think overall my IV ended up being the worst part. The spinal felt kinda like I hit my funny bone inside. Not bad at all. I didnt get my arms strapped down -thank god. I cant stand to be strapped into things. Ask your OB, it may not be required. Recovery wasnt too bad. I was out of bed about 12 hours later for a little bit. Definitely take the pain meds offered and get up moving as soon as possible. It helps recovery a lot. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My C section was unplanned but not an emergency c section. I probably would have worried more about it if I knew I was having one and I hadn't already pushed for 3 hours. But, all in all, it wasn't bad at all. The spinal wasn't horrible...but it also took away all the pain of contractions so I was happy about that. The recovery was easier than I thought. I highly suggest walking around as soon as you can. It helps alleviate gas pain and it gets you mobile quicker. Take the drugs when you are in the hospital and don't over do it. Your body will let you know when you have done too much. I was 100% by 6 weeks and in good shape by 4 weeks. First 2 weeks are the roughest. Have help around and take it easy when you can. GL!
  • Options

My c-section was unplanned.  Honestly for me the worst part was getting  the epidural, which I got hours before they opted to do the c-section.  When they upped the medicine for the spinal I was fine with it.   The surgery itself was fine. 

The part that surprised me was how long everything took after the baby was out.  But had I read the literature I received from my birthing class, I would have known that. 

Recovery wasn't bad either.  I delivered at 10am, and by that evening I did a short walk to my room door and back and my nurse let me have solid food.  The next day everything was taken out (IV, catheter), and I was walking the hall.  My staples were taken out at 6 days PP, which was no problem. 

Today is 8 days PP, and I'm basically off my pain meds.  They gave me Motrin and Vicodin.  

• Options

I had a really really great experience and I will likely be opting to have another csection b/c of how good my experience was.

My mom kept telling me how fast I recovered, but I was like "I didnt know how I was supposed to recover, so I just did." You know?

Walking as much and as soon as you can after the surgery helped. So did getting out of the house just to walk around (even at like Walmart). Of course use help that you are offered, but try to do what you can and you might surprise yourself.

I was only "strapped" down for the surgery (of course) and about 12 hours of recovery, while the feeling in my legs returned. It wasnt that bad at all. (PS. They had the BEST drugs for nausea, it was like all I had to do was tell them when I was nauseous, and theyd give more meds and it went away almost instantly).

Anyways, it wasn't as bad as I imagined vaginal births to be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    The worst part for me was the spinal and feeling like I couldn't breathe right after I got it. I'm very claustrophobic and was on the verge of a panic attack, but the sensation went away after a few minutes. Otherwise, no complaints. My recovery was easy and I feel pretty great now at five weeks PP.
    imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • Options

I had a c/s with both of my deliveries and each experience was fine!!!  The first one was worse because I was in labor for 24 hours before my c/s, so was exhausted when all was said and done.  I did not nurse DD right away or anything due only to the exhaustion, not because I had a c/s and was not allowed to or anything.  This time around my c/s was planned and everything was perfect!!!!  The spinal was super easy and I thought was less painful than the epidural I had with the first delivery.  They did strap my arms down in the beginning, but it's really for your own safety.  And when I say "strapped down" I don't mean like tight and painful, in fact I had no clue I was strapped down until they told me.  After the doc started, they told me they would unstrap my arms, but not to move around too much.  DH, the nurses, my doc, and I were even joking and talking during my surgery.  I am so happy that I can say that I had a great delivery, even though it was a c/s.  I left the OR with DD in my arms and nursed her as soon as I got to recovery.  The only time we were seperated was when I was getting settled into my room and she was getting her bath and clothes and everything.  My recovery was really easy as well.  My doc insists that you are up and about 8 hours after surgery, and even though it is painful, I think it helps speed up your recovery.  Don't overdo it, but moving around a little each day is really important.  I am 2 weeks PP now and feel like my old self.  I go walking almost everyday, play with my 2 year old, go to the store, etc.  I think that the negatives of c/s are so often expressed that people find it hard to believe that you can have a great birth with one.  GL!!!  I am sure you will be fine!  :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

One of my biggest fears with a c/s was the whole being tied down thing. Luckily, this is something my hospital does NOT do. Tell your OB about your fears, tell the nurses when you check in, ask that your arms NOT be strapped. There is absolutely no reason that they need to be!

My recovery was hard, I'll be honest. I was up and walking (barely) the next day, but I was in awful pain. Don't be shy about asking for more or different pain meds until you can move and walk without pain -- I wish I'd done that sooner, but I had no idea how much pain I should or shouldn't be in. I didn't get my pain under control and start to feel human until day three.

Take it slow. Don't try to do everything yourself, and ask for help when you need it!

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

My LO was breech.  My c/s was planned, as well.  I was incredibly nervous, but...sort of figured, no matter how this kiddo comes out, it isn't going to be super pleasant. 

The IV was the worst part for me, which sounds just dumb, I know.  the spinal was weird.  I didn't feel much pain, but the spinal hit a nerve and zinged.  Sort of like when you hit your funny bone, but in the back.  Have them put in your cath after the spinal.  Apparently, some hospitals don't do that.  Weird.   I threw up during the surgery.  Once I did, I felt MUCH better.  DS was out before I knew it and then he and DH went upstairs to be weighed and measured (DS, not DH :)).  The sewing up part took forever, it seemed.  But, really...I was in recover about 1 hour after my surgery started. I wish I would have been able to have LO with me in recovery.  Ask for that, if you can.  I missed some key bonding time with him, I felt.   Also, I was on Nubain b/c my IV had a narcotic in it that lasted 24 hours, but made me itch.  I swear that Nubain makes you apathetic.  I was excited about DS, but not nearly as excited as I thought I would be.  After I was off that stuff, I felt back to my normal self.

The recovery was easier than I thought it would be.  Good luck with everything!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefemmegem:
    The worst part for me was the spinal and feeling like I couldn't breathe right after I got it. I'm very claustrophobic and was on the verge of a panic attack, but the sensation went away after a few minutes. Otherwise, no complaints. My recovery was easy and I feel pretty great now at five weeks PP.
    This is exactly what happened to me. To make matters worse my nose was very stuffy and I couldn't breath well from my nose to begin with. Througout the whole surgery I had to breath through my mouth. It was the worst feeling not being able to breath freely. This is my only complaint with the experience, but it was truly awful. It makes me shudder to even think about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My experince wqas a bit tramatic because I developed Toxemia so I had to have an emergency C-section then be on mag for 24 hours. I threw up on the Dr. after my spinal to...not good. BUT the C-section itself was not bad. It was perfect because it gave me a beatiful baby!!! The recovery in mag sucked and I wanted food and I was sick...I would not wish that on ANYONE! But if I just had to get the C-section without the mag like you will probally get then it will be A-O-K. I was planning a 100% natural birth befor my c-section and had to go straight to the hospitol when I got toxemia so I think I just was not prepared. It really is worth it when you see LO. I even got to breastfeed right after!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    I ended up having an unplanned c-section because of high blood pressure. The spinal sucked for a few mintues as they were putting it in. The surgery itself went great. Something made me itch like crazy! At first it was just my face and then my entire body. Later that night I had another reaction to something and was vomiting anything I ate or drink so I didn't really get to eat until the next day. The one thing that did really suck was my allergies were kicking my arse and it KILLED everytime I coughed. I was really happy with my expereince and would totally do it again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a planned c-section, I went into labor before my scheduled c-section but I ended up having one anyways.

It is not bad at all, I was freaked out about it to but I am glad I had it really. recovery was not bad. the spinal is not bad, the nurses will talk you through it while they do it.

And you can't feel being strapped down, so don't worry about it.

Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I was very against c-section - was planning to give birth w/out pain meds in a birth center. DS was breech, though, so I had no choice.

I wouldn't want to do it again, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. In a lot of ways I recovered quickly. I was up and moving around as soon as they removed all the tubes, but I did still need heavy pain meds for about 2 weeks. Don't be afraid to call and ask for more after you are home. You aren't a wuss...some people just hurt for longer than others. Everyone is different.

So yeah. Not terrible. Hoping for a VBAC next time. I'm very phobic of needles/being cut and the spinal was the worst part for me, but still not as horrible as I imagined it being.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"