Attachment Parenting

Dh's culture has him AP confused!

My Dh grew up in house where love isn't shown through affection (his culture) and really doesn't show love that way.

Last night I put Henry in his crib so I could get a little shut eye without him next to me. Dh kept asking if he should go get him...I was like "why, he's sleeping just fine!?"

Dh said he likes to cuddle him at night in our bed! He asked me how long it's "appropriate" for him to be in our bed, and said he sometimes isn't sure if it's okay to love on him with hugs and kisses like we do!

I really made me smile since he always fought me with the bed sharing (I did it anyway!)

Just wanted to AW him Stick out tongue

Hatching the Hawks
Hatching the Hawks
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dh's culture has him AP confused!

• That's very sweet of your DH.

Just out of curiosty (because my family always showed love through affection), what culture is your DH & his family?

• imagesevans1975:

That's very sweet of your DH.

Just out of curiosty (because my family always showed love through affection), what culture is your DH & his family?

He's 1/2 Japanese, but raised 100% by his Japanese mother. He lived several years of his life in Japan (where he was born).

Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • that's super sweet. And yay for your DH for not being afraid to physically show love to his son!
  • imagetak2002:
    imagesevans1975:

That's very sweet of your DH.

He's 1/2 Japanese, but raised 100% by his Japanese mother. He lived several years of his life in Japan (where he was born).

I was going to say that he must be asian!  Showing too much affection = spoiling.  My dad did always kiss us on the head, but other than that, there wasn't very much hugging or kissing or anything like that.  Even now, we just do polite pecks on the cheeks.

Most older generation asians also believe that you should never brag about your child...so instead they will say not so nice things about you even though they may not mean it.  There was a lot of ,"oh, that's not so good"..."why didn't you do better"...type comments when I was growing up.  The worse is when they're talking to other parents and they try extremely hard to NOT brag by saying things like, "oh, she's not so smart"..."she's not good at anything" etc.  I do have to say it was really hard growing up in America hearing these things when all of my friends' parents were so encouraging and nurturing. 

So kudos to your DH for embracing AP! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yeah for DH!
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • I just want to say that it may not be due to his culture.

My DH is 100% Japanese (and has never lived abroad) and we live outside of Tokyo but bed sharing here is generally the norm.  The only couples I know who don`t bed share are other foreigners.

My husband is more on the lines of "She doesn`t want to sleep in her bed, she wants to sleep with us."

Now DH`s family is definitely not all huggy and lovey dovey (they barely held DD when she was born and for the 3 weeks we stayed there after her birth) but DH is definitely a cuddly type and he loves hugging her and giving her kisses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"