Working Moms

Where do you pump? (clicky)

I'm feeling sorry for myself.  But I shouldn't be all "woe is me" because I'm sure way more women are in my position and are doing JUST FINE!

Our designated pumping area is a chair in the bathroom with an unsecured curtain around it.  No one uses it because people always peek in to see what's going on in there.  So, I'm left with a bathroom stall.  After being in the bathroom today and overhearing what is typically/normally/always done in bathrooms, it broke my hear that I'll have to express my daughter's food in there.  Ugh.

So, DH is going to tint my car windows for my christmas gift.  And I'm going to pump in the car.  Starting in the dead of Maryland's winter...January.

[Poll]
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image

Re: Where do you pump? (clicky)

• I voted car even though my babe won't even be here for 3 months. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • aglennaglenn member
    So, I said designated room with a lock, because that is Plan A.  However, it is a busy room (one room for an office of 300+ people, mostly women...we have a busy reservation calendar going on), so when work doesn't fit around my usual pumping times I have to wing it.  Have also used my car, an unlocked conference room with a glass wall (I keep the lights off, back to the door, and a nursing cover in front and hope for the best), my manager's office (also unlocked; she's a new mom too and said it's OK to use when she's not there)....I think that's it (so far).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • shannmshannm member
    I pumped in the disabled bathroom stall on a chair for over six months. Wasn't bad at all. I prefer complete privacy but I wasn't worried about the cleanliness issue because I took great care with my "technique.". My pump and parts only ever touched the blanket I kept on my lap. Frankly, being in the car in a parking garage with people going in and out would make me more uncomfortable. Hang in there!
  • those of you who are forced to pump in a bathroom stall at work should check out this website.  Obama recently passed a law that requires employers to not only allow breastfeeding mothers ample time to pump at work but also requires employers to provide a place other than a bathroom for breastfeeding moms to pump.  check it out and share with your employer/company HR. You should NOT have to pump in a bathroom or other unpleasant or uncomfortable spot.  hope this helps!!

https://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/BreastfeedingLaws/tabid/14389/Default.aspx

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry .....I know how much it sucks to pump in the bathroom..I did it a few times.

So..I decided that I would put all my shyness away and pump at my desk..I share an office with a male coworker..this office is pretty much open to everyone as the copier is also located in said office.door open all the time..SO..I put a nursing cover on while I attach my pump to pump bra and pump away at my desk. It was cool because I could work or pick the phone up all while pumping. I would try to get to the office earlier than everyone else for my first pumping session..then when some went to lunch and last session when most were gone. It worked just fine..

I work in a small office..mostly all male but with not much visitors. There were a few times someone would walk up to my desk and start a conversation and have no clue what I was doing...my nursing cover was very fashionable...lol 

Good luck to you!! It can be hard but you will adjust.

• imageshannm:
    I pumped in the disabled bathroom stall on a chair for over six months. Wasn't bad at all. I prefer complete privacy but I wasn't worried about the cleanliness issue because I took great care with my "technique.". My pump and parts only ever touched the blanket I kept on my lap. Frankly, being in the car in a parking garage with people going in and out would make me more uncomfortable. Hang in there!

We're specifically not allowed to do this.  There was a lawsuit a few years back where a person that required that stall had an accident because a non-disabled person was in that stall.  So, I'd have to use the regular sized stall.  This will be my first kid, so I can't say for sure, but I feel like there isn't enough room in there! 

• I selected something forgot, I am in CO and they are required to give me time and a place that is private and other than a bathroom. I was so excited til I saw the room. Its a office storage room, that is as dirty as the toilet seat. It has a code lock however 50+ employees have this code. I am greatfull to have a place since I take the bus to work, however did think I would atleast have a space people would not walk in or at min would be clean.

If i could pump in my car I would do the samething I do to feed her when out and about running aronds, Put on a cover and go to town.

• In my office, no lock, with a chair up against the door.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 12/26/11 ~ EDD 9/6/12 ~ MMC discovered on 1/27/12 @ 8w1d (measured 6w2d)

BFP #3 8/10/12 ~ EDD 4/23/13 ~ MMC discovered on 9/13/12 @ 8w2d (measured 6w6d)
  • imagekewhitson:

those of you who are forced to pump in a bathroom stall at work should check out this website.  Obama recently passed a law that requires employers to not only allow breastfeeding mothers ample time to pump at work but also requires employers to provide a place other than a bathroom for breastfeeding moms to pump.  check it out and share with your employer/company HR. You should NOT have to pump in a bathroom or other unpleasant or uncomfortable spot.  hope this helps!!

https://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/BreastfeedingLaws/tabid/14389/Default.aspx

I can read the whole thing myself, but if you've researched, I'll take the Cliffs notes for now!

Does the bill define "reasonable time" to pump?  I'd assume that'd just be accomidated by normal breaks, right?

Also, this is just part of the big bill that was passed, but has yet to be funded.  So, is this even in effect yet?

I work for the Federal Government, so it'd probably be easy for me to envoke this if it's applicable.

• i can pump in the server room, but its oh so dirty and we seem to always been having server issues (so maintenance people need to come in).  plus, its loud and i cant hear the pump and for some reason that influences my letdown.

i drive across the street to an empty parkinglot and pump in my car.  its time consuming - i am lucky i only work parttime in the office.  however, at the same time, i enjoy the break.  i listen to XM radio and eat a snack.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm lucky.  I work in a small office that used to be a house.  We only use the main floor for business, and there's a good-sized bathroom on the second floor that only myself and one other co-worker choose to use.  It's like a large bathroom at home would be, with a tub, sink, double vanity, and toilet.  My plan is to roll an old office chair in there and go to town.  No one will bother me.
  • ENevENev member

imageBeccaBabyBecca:
    I'm lucky.  I work in a small office that used to be a house.  We only use the main floor for business, and there's a good-sized bathroom on the second floor that only myself and one other co-worker choose to use.  It's like a large bathroom at home would be, with a tub, sink, double vanity, and toilet.  My plan is to roll an old office chair in there and go to town.  No one will bother me.

I chose "something I forgot" - this is the kind of bathroom I pump in, as I also work in an old converted house. I have a chair set up in there and put my pump on the sink. It's pretty comfortable. 

• shannmshannm member
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in a standard stall or that close to a toilet.  Some of the women on our floor have ridiculous toilet habits.  Our bathroom isn't open to the public and I am not aware of anyone requiring the disabled stall on our floor (or in the building) so I was lucky in that sense.  Several of us have used it for this purpose and we had to actually have the outlet installed by maintanence.
  • i'm in private practice now, so i have an office or if people are in there, i would sometimes use the AV screening room, which did not have a lock, but i had a sign up on the door.

When I was a resident though I used to pump in other people's offices, my car, public restrooms, ect. It wasn't too fun, but i survived.

I did actually pump a lot in bathroom stalls (regular sized) and what i did was hang my pump bag over the hook on the door and then have all the stuff in my lap so nothing ever touched anything.. i sat on the toilet fully clothed.

• I voted my car but there is a vacant office with a lock I use too. I just need to leave the building and when it is nice out I prefer my car.
  • I pump in a private bathroom. It has a chair and little table next to an outlet to my stuff on. It's a little gross to have to pump where people do "other stuff" but it's not as bad as a stall. The door locks.  I have an office (no lock), but choose to pump in the private bathroom instead since it is near the fridge and has a sink.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • trinnytrinny member

I pump in the server room.  It cannot be reserved, but no one but me really goes in there.  Look around your office or ask around-- there might be a better space than you think.

I wouldn't like pumping in my car, not only for the cold.

• I will be pumping in my car for this baby. I work in the field so I'm always driving between places. I have no where else to pump unless I'm lucky enough to be working from home for part of the day.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I feel for you. I think pumping in the bathroom or any non-secure place is horrible, although I know others do it. I'm really modest and wasn't even comfortable nursing in front of family (other than my mom) so I would be SO uncomfortable with co-workers walking in on me! I was really lucky and my employer was able to outfit a basement storage room with a lock for me. No one ever used it, hardly anyone even went downstairs, and I loved that it was totally secure. They put a table in there with a power strip and a chair for me. I would not have been able to keep up pumping for as long as I did if I were in the bathroom! Ours are heavily used bathroom stalls with no room for a chair or table.

Is there ANYTHING else they can do for you? Unused office, closet, storage space somewhere?? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageAngela814:
    I will be pumping in my car for this baby. I work in the field so I'm always driving between places. I have no where else to pump unless I'm lucky enough to be working from home for part of the day.

This was me and I was able to make it work although I didn't like it.  Winter was much better because because of layering; also I did not have an office fridge- I had to keep it cold in my car

• With my DS I used my classroom which has a lock and I would stand behind a large closet door which I set everything inside on the shelf. The closet door also blocked anyone from seeing anything just in case they did walk in. I did have a sign posted and the small window covered, but I guess my principal and custodian could not or did not read it because they each walked in on me one time.

This time though I'm at a new school and our classrooms have two doors one of which I can't lock and there is no closet door to stand behind so... I don't know what I'll do this time around, but it won't stop me. She'll have to find some office room somewhere or something. I'm getting nervous about this already. The bathroom and my car are not options that I'll settle for... if nothing else worst case I guess I'll use my classroom and sit with my back against the unlocked door. 

• I pumped in my cubicle with a curtain across and a sign hung up.
  • Wasn't sure what to answer... My company has an exercise room (used mainly at lunchtime).  Off this room are two locker rooms with lockers and showers.  I use the womens' locker room - there's a chair, no toilet, a sink and mirror, two showers, and a curtain.  I put myself behind the curtain on the chair.

It's cleaned daily, and used infrequently.  The only person who may walk in would be another nursing mother, and that has happened once, and wasn't a big deal.  It could definitely be worse, and i like that it has a sink.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I was forbidden to pump in my mostly-private office that I share with one other person.  I have to pump in daycare (on-site).  Either I pump in the day care manager's office (and have to make small talk w/ her while pumping) or pump in the infant room itself.  While my dd was in the room that was good.  Now school is out for summer and I'm all alone in a room that maintenance staff comes in and out of.  Yesterday the exterminator came as I was setting up.  Thank goodness I wasn't hooked up yet!
  • There is no designated pumping area at work - I'm the only pumper here. There are two bathrooms - 1 with 5 stalls, the other has 3 stalls and a small locker room area with 2 showers, lockers and a bench. I bring in a very long extension cord (since the outlet is by the stalls) and sit on the bench. No coverage at all - have had a few people walk over to see what the noise is. I just sit with my back to the door so people leave me alone!
  • I pump in my boss's office when she is not around or otherwise in the "library" that no one ever uses.  I asked the HR person and they were very accommodating about finding a private space when I asked.
  • I'm in outside sales, so I'll have to pump in my car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"