Success after IF
Options

6 month stats - yes, I am a worry wart.

Sam is doing great - almost 27 inches in length and almost 16 pounds.  So he is still in the 20th percentile for weight and 65-70th for length.  What changed is his head circumference.  From 2 to 4 to 6 months it has gone from 35th-50th-80th percentile.  The doc said it was fine but that if it was in the 95th percentile or something it might be worrisome.

So what did I do when I got to work?  googled.  DUMB.

First thing that comes up when you google "increased head circumference"?

Autism.

ARGH.

So tell me I'm being ridiculous. 

TBH, I am uncertain the measurements were right.  I am pretty confident Sam is more like 27-27.5 inches in length, and I can't be positive the head measurement was more accurate.  And even a cm difference would put him back in the 50th percentile.

Still.  That's going to bug me until his 9 month.

dammit.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.

Re: 6 month stats - yes, I am a worry wart.

• Options
    I am sure sam is fine. If your dr. isn't concerned, then you should try not to be. My now 6 year old neice was the biggest headed baby ever. She was 95th% or higher all the time and she is fine and very intelligent. Maybe the big head means a bigger brain and he is going to be a genius!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A)  No Google. :)

B)  Head circumference is the kind of thing where 1/4" can make a huge difference in terms of %ile.  I'm thinking that Kira's %ile jumped up with the nurse at her 2 year appt such that the pedi thought it must not have been right.  The pedi did it herself, and it came back just a tad smaller, but the %ile dropped.  So it might just be a measurement error.

So, maybe Sam's nurse just had a bad measurement day. :)

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmm, I'll have to look in his baby book. DS was small in the beginning but quickly went to the 85% in weight nad height.  the weight just recently dropped off as he is more active.

But his head circumference did a huge jump kinda like yours....

I never worried about it.  I am pretty sure it went from the less than 50% to 85% or something like that and when he was born it may have been in the 15%. 

• Options
    epphdepphd member

Yea, you can be sure I will be measuring it myself at home to verify!  He's so squirmy now that it easily could have been off, and like I said - 45cm is 80th percentile and 44cm is 50th.  So the measurements require a great deal of accuracy.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options

Katie has a pretty big head and her head percentiles have definitely gone up since birth. I am pretty sure she was around 50% at birth but since then she has been closer to 80%.  I also think it is likely that the measurements are off. I know Katie struggles a bit when they measure her and just a cm makes a huge difference.  I would not stress over it. 

I also have to add- he is just so cute!!!!!

• Options

You are being ridiculous.  :)

But I totally understand the paranoia.  It must be ingrained in all of us.  Nate went from 90% to 75% for weight between his 2 and 4 month appointments.  I didn't freak out, but of course, it made me worry.  Am I feeding him enough?  Is he starving and I don't know it?  And on and on...

Anyways, you seriously have nothing to worry about.  He's growing, happy, healthy, and thriving.  A growing noggin just means he is getting smarter.  :)  Nate has had a huge head from birth (always 90-95%).  Just be glad he had a smaller head at birth and you didn't have to push something like that out!

IVF #1 = BFP on 5/2009
    FET #1 = BFP on 5/2011
  • Options
    I have been told it's the least accurate measurement because everyone does it from a little different angle. I wouldn't worry about it and he really looks fine to me!!!
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD jumped around with head circumference that whole first year.  Which is funny because she rarely ever made it on the charts with weight.  So at some points she must of had a really huge head.  But I wanted you to use google in another way and look up early indicators of autism.  Sure they will make anyone freak out, but judging from that huge smile and great eye contact your kiddo is showing in that pic the likelyhood that he is autistic just flew out the window.  Two of the indicators is no large facial expressions and poor eye contact. ;) According to early research this is apparent in kiddos younger then a year, six months maybe. 
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Options

I just had this scare! doctor was concerned that the head was increasing to quickly- when we went back yesterday everything was fine- our pedi said it could have been a mismeasurment by the nurse.

Don't sweat it! I am surprised your pedi sees you every 3 months, we go every month for a visit. Maybe call and have your pedi see you next month just to calm your nerves.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure he's fine. Of course it's hard not to worry though. His brain is growing and is probably just a little bit faster than the rest of his body. He'll catch up!
    IUI # 1 on 1/19, Beta 2/1 = BFN, Hysteroscopy on 2/15= 5 polyps removed, and cervix cleared, IUI #2 on 4/15 = BFP, Beta#1 on 4/30 @ 15 dpiui= 279, Beta #2 on 5/9 @24dpiui = 10,154, U/S on 8/5 = TWO GIRLS! Born 10/16 at 28 weeks. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I don't put any weight (haha) on the ped's stats.  Sure, it's nice to have them, but I know how wiggly my DDs are and how just a little movement can equal ounces or inches or grams or cm!!  You're a science person, right?  Think back to all the times you've discussed measurement errors in classes, labs, etc. ;-) 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

Don't worry. The last 2 appts the dr has had to remeasure DS's head because the first measurement actually showed it had shrunk! I think it's really hard to get an accurate measurement, really depends on the person doing the measuring.

Even if the measurements are accurate-- a big head does not = autism. I also worried about this because I do worry about autism with DS (but it's based on other behaviors-- he doesn't have a big head, Nevertheless, I was anxiously awaiting his appts between 6 mos and a year to see if, in addition to the other things I worried about, his head growth would jump.). In my research I found that something like 6% of kids start out with small heads and then have a jump to big heads. That sounds like a small number, but if you consider that even the most pessimistic stats on autism say it occurs in 1/150, that's a  .06% chance of child having autism. So, it's way, way more likely that a kid that has major head growth just had a big head, not autism.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"