Eco-Friendly Family

I'm sure this has been asked...sunscreen?

I don't remember this as an issue last summer, but this summer DS's eczema is horrible with sunscreen.  Two different brands of run of the mill sunscreen so far have made him really bad.  I've always been interested in more EFF stuff, but things are tight here with $, and I guess I figured we don't wear sunscreen each and every day (I really try to evaluate our sun exposure against healthy vitamin D exposure.)

After the first breakout and realization of why, I bought some Aveeno stuff (I know, not EFF, but supposed to be good for sensitive skin) and while I don't think it's getting horribly worse from the Aveeno stuff, I don't think it's helping either.

I bought some Burt's Bees tonight.  Anyone use that?  Is there another chemical free brand that's better?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm sure this has been asked...sunscreen?

• I use the California Baby on C because it doesn't have any chemical sunscreen, only physical ones (zine and titanium oxides). Blue Lizard is another one that is supposed to be good, but the sport version does also have the chemical sunscreens that I'm trying to avoid for her (and for DH because he has super sensitive skin).
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I use either CA Baby or Blue Lizard.  Neither is particularly cheap, but I really like them both and actually use them for myself as well.  I get the CA Baby at Target and Blue Lizard from Amazon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've used the Burts Bees on DD a couple times and so far so good. It doesn't have alot of the nasty stuff that alot of them do, even the Aveeno I have seen has some ingrediants that aren't good for LO's. There was a sunscreen post awhile back, I copied the text and emailed it to myself here is what I have... It was written by a dermatoligist lady who is on some of the boards here.

What you don't want in a sunscreen

Avobenzont; Homosalate; Octisalate, Octocrylene  and Oxybenzone, : ARE CHEMICAL BLOCKERS aka Sunscreen. NEVER use this on your child this is what pediatricians do not want you to use on your children.  

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as the active ingredients is a PHYSICAL BLOCKER and this is absolutely safe for your child at birth. As noted with the American Academy of Dermatology. THe active ingredients are actually pretty much the same as diaper rash paste.

The key is putting it on 30 minutes before going outside. Physical blockers need time to get absorbed into the top layers of the skin. ALso you must reapply every 2 hours of continuous sun exposure. Long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats and sunglasses are also recommended. They sell bathing suit coverups and bathing suits with a UV protection.
    Recommended Sunblocks by the AAD are as Follows:
    Neutrogena Sensitive Skin
    Neutrogena Pure and Free
    Blue Lizard
    California Baby

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"