Breastfeeding

EPer's & Reglan (sorry, sort of long)

Are there any EPer's here who take Reglan?

I had to go back to work this week and my supply is tanking. Honestly, I was having supply issues before coming back but it is getting worse really fast. I used to average 35oz a day and now I'm lucky if I get 20oz.

I spoke with an LC last night who basically said that I wouldn't have this problem if I would have nursed him. Also, my pump, a Medala Swing, sucks (no pun intended). I know the pump sucks but it's all I have for now.

I have tried Mother's Milk tea, dark beer, Fenugreek, Milk Thistle, Power Pumping, etc... Nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyway, she won't prescribe Reglan to me because I pump instead of nurse. Anyone else run into this problem?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EPer's & Reglan (sorry, sort of long)

• I don't pump - I do nurse - and my doctor won't prescribe me anything either... and I've tried so hard re: increasing my supply... which makes me angry at her!

• The pumping shouldn't matter, but Reglan isn't a good drug to take.  Lots of side effects and you can only take it for a few weeks anyway.

I take domperidone, but that is much harder to come by. 

• Loading the player...
  • It really sucks! All you hear about is how important it is to breastfeed but then they won't help you. I was really hoping I'd be able to give DS breastmilk until he was at least six months. Part of me is just ready to give up.
  • imageahava2005:

The pumping shouldn't matter, but Reglan isn't a good drug to take.  Lots of side effects and you can only take it for a few weeks anyway.

I take domperidone, but that is much harder to come by. 

Is that a perscription too?

• That sucks that your LC is not being more supportive by saying that.  That would have made me pretty mad.

Could you look into possibly renting a hospital grade pump for a month?  I am doing the rental of a medela symphony and it is SO much better than the medela PISA (for me anyway).  That and are you pumping still at night?  Those are my only two suggestions, I hope that you get your supply back up mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My friend who had supply issues ordered domperidone from Australia. You don't need an Rx there.
  • A hospital grade pump would probably make a difference if you can rent one.  I EPed for a few months with DD1, and I had both a hospital grade rental and a PISA for a few months.  The hospital pump was much better.  Also, I had a cycle where my supply would decrease as the week went on, but I could usually regain it over the weekend.
  • imageschtephanie:

That sucks that your LC is not being more supportive by saying that.  That would have made me pretty mad.

Could you look into possibly renting a hospital grade pump for a month?  I am doing the rental of a medela symphony and it is SO much better than the medela PISA (for me anyway).  That and are you pumping still at night?  Those are my only two suggestions, I hope that you get your supply back up mama!

I think that is part of my frustration - the fact that she implied that it was my fault for not nursing him. I would have except he never latched correctly and it's really upsetting for a first time mom to see her son go without eating for 7 hours at 3 days old.

I will look into renting a better grade pump. Also, I did stop pumping in the middle of the night once he started STTN. Thanks for the encouragement :)

• imageBrainySmurfette:
    A hospital grade pump would probably make a difference if you can rent one.  I EPed for a few months with DD1, and I had both a hospital grade rental and a PISA for a few months.  The hospital pump was much better.  Also, I had a cycle where my supply would decrease as the week went on, but I could usually regain it over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will look into renting one. I thought I was safe going with a Medela but it seems that I need a better grade one.

• I had the swing too - and ended up buying a nicer double pump. A double makes a HUGE difference in my output. I would pump around the clock...it will take a while but it will come back.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"