Health & Exercise

does strong ab muscles=feeling less movement?

I am 23, almost 24 weeks pregnant, and some days I will feel him move randomly, even then its just popcorn like feelings, and that has only been since 21 weeks. Today I have felt next to nothing. I was 110 lbs and 5"5 pre preg, and I thought thin women were supposed to feel it sooner than others. Not only did I feel it, what I think was very late, I feel next to nothing. I have very strong abs, and continue to work them out, could this contribute to my lack of movement? Or am I just grasping at straws now. Why am I so far behind everybody else?!

Re: does strong ab muscles=feeling less movement?

• I wasn't as small as you pre-preg (5'5" and 120), but I do also have strong abs...and have continued to workout my abs throughout pregnancy. I've heard that every woman and pregnancy are different. Has your dr determined where the placenta is located? if it is in front, it may "muffle" baby's movements such that you don't feel them as much.

I first felt my baby move at 15 weeks, but then I felt nothing for a while....then, I started feeling something (but was it gas or baby). By the time I was nearing 30 weeks, I could definitely feel baby!

If you're worried, ask your dr. Also, you should have your 20 weeks ultrasound soon if you haven't already had it. Seeing baby move on screen and thinking about what you are feeling helps calibrate what baby's movements feel like.

• I was pretty small too before pregnancy, 5'4 and 115lbs. I didn't feel baby move until about 22 weeks. I think its because the placenta was in the front? One of my good friends didn't feel her baby move until around 26 weeks, so I don't think it's anything to worry about?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it has a lot more to do with placenta placement, and your first baby.

I had good abs both times, but first baby I had an anterior placenta, which acted as a pillow basically cushioning the kicks, and I felt basically nothing until about 22 weeks. With baby #2, I literally felt him at 14 weeks. 

I am/was very thin and fit as well and basically in the same shape both times.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"