Northern California Babies

Bereavement Airfares?

My grandmother is being taken off life support this afternoon.  It is sad, but she is in her 90's and has been very ill for a long time, so I am just hoping she will soon be at peace.

Does anyone know if airlines (and if so, which ones) still offer bereavement fares?  Last minute tickets are about $600 a pop, which is not exactly feasible when you have to buy 3. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Bereavement Airfares?

• I don't have any experience, but here's a run-down of some of te airlines' policies:

https://tinyurl.com/2435qpv

My thoughts are with you.  

• Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

When DH's grandmother passed away last year, we looked into bereavement airfares and found that the airlines didn't offer much of a discount. We had better luck finding a last minute airfare at a much reduced rate.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the helpful advice.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In my experience the Bereavement fare was higher than the one I could get on their website.  If your schedule will allow it, I would priceline the tickets.  You can only pick the days you fly, not the times so if you have do to a really short trip it might not work for you.  Last time I did priceline for an airfare I bid about 60% of what they regular fare was and got it.
  • Ditto those above, Bereavement don't offer much in the way of a discount but may help depending how last minute your flying. My thoughts are with you.

• I can only speak of Delta's bereavement, which I had to use this winter when my grandmother died. While the cost wasn't a huge savings, it was a bit cheaper. The big bonus was my ticket was totally and completely changeable, so if we decided we needed to stay another day or two, we could've called the airlines up to the last minute with no penalty.
  • I'm so very sorry to hear that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I"m so sorry J.  My thoughts are with you.
  • i am so sorry for your loss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"