Multiples

Birth Plan For C-Section?

Is it necessary to have a birth plan for a c-section? I know that things can happen, but it seems to me that a c-section is pretty straight-forward where a vag. birth could have a lot of different factors to consider.

Thoughts?

Re: Birth Plan For C-Section?

• The one thing that someone told me is to ask if you can have your cath put in AFTER your spinal. Best advice ever. The nurse came to do it before and I was quite happy that they delayed it, meaning I didn't have to feel it:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd just make sure your medical team knows your wishes for seeing the babies, depending on their health needs, and your breastfeeding wishes.
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't need a plan really.  But you should ask your doctor or the L&D nurses during your hospital tour what to expect.  I think having the right expectations can make for a better c-section experience for both mom and dad. 
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I don't really have a plan, but I do intend to go over a few things with my doctor beforehand.

-My DH does NOT want to see anything that you're doing.  Please don't ask him.

-My DH does NOT want to cut the cord.  (See above.)

-Same as pp about the cath

-What is the camera/video camera policy?

-Assuming everything goes as planned, what's the time table for everything?  (I'm adamant that DH and I are the first to see/hold our babies.  I don't want to be hanging out in recovery for a few hours while our families play with the babies first.  I'd rather give them an estimate time to arrive that will give us plenty of bonding time.)

-How long will I need to stay in recovery?  (Some places make you wiggle your toes before you can go or have other policies.)

-What's the pain med situation?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went through the birth plan docs that we found online just to see if there was anything important to us  We didn't bring any documented birth plan with us.  It was a good discussion starter for DH and I on things like:  How many people do we want at the hospital, what is acceptable pictures/filming, if one or both of the babies go to the NICU what do I want him to do ,and do we want him DS circumcised, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2 chem preg, 4 failed IUIs, 2 canc IVFs, 2 BFN IVFs, IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    3/23 Beta #1 @ 17dpo = 913, Beta #2 @ 19dpo = 1724, Beta #3 @ 21 dpo = 3240
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefinallyreilly:

We went through the birth plan docs that we found online just to see if there was anything important to us  We didn't bring any documented birth plan with us.  It was a good discussion starter for DH and I on things like:  How many people do we want at the hospital, what is acceptable pictures/filming, if one or both of the babies go to the NICU what do I want him to do ,and do we want him DS circumcised, etc.

I think that's a really good idea. I did something similar with looking at sample birth plans to see if there was anything I wanted to specify. I planned for (and had) a vaginal delivery but I put in some C-section contingencies as well.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Thanks for your input everybody. You've all given me some things to think about and consider.
  • I didn't even know I was def  having a C until the afternoon before because my baby b kept flipping day by day the last two weeks. I can say if I knew I could ask for a cath AFTER the spinal I would have done that. I needed a latex free cath and after three extremely uncomfortable attempts by the nurses I was very happy to see my OB come in the room, she got it right away. If we have another it will be a repeat C and I will def discuss things more with my OB ahead of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"