Breastfeeding

16 month old DS is now weaned, ask me anything! :)

I'm done! Whee! Ask away because I'm pretty sure I went through it all with him! :)

Re: 16 month old DS is now weaned, ask me anything! :)

• [Points to previous post]

How did you wean?  I'm ready, she's not.  Is it a crime for me to cut her off?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • OH!  I mean to add -

CONGRATS!  16 months is AWESOME!  You rock mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJules_NC:

OH!  I mean to add -

CONGRATS!  16 months is AWESOME!  You rock mama!

This! And... Was your original goal 16 months? If not, what was it? How did you get through the biting phase?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • In a word: SLOOOWLLLLYYY!!! :)

DS was great with a sippy cup and so around 7 months I introduced it. When he was 13 months old I dropped his 2nd feeding and replaced it with a sippy cup of whole milk (u could do a bottle tho!). So He went from 4 feedings a day to 3.

Then about 2 weeks later I dropped his 3rd feeding. We did an am nursing and a pm nursing before bed for a long time, then about 2 weeks later we went to one nursing at night before bed. That's a hard one to get rid of!

Then after a while I went to every other night, then eventually every 3rd night. One night I went to nurse and he latched on but only nursed for a minute, no let down... I think I just wasn't producing! Then I tried another time the next day and he was just squirmy and wouldn't latch at all...so I lucked out to where he was pretty much ready to be done. It still killed me! ha ha I think going slow and getting them used to the sippy or bottle helps b/c I think he just didn't want to work for the milk anymore! ha ha

Good luck, it's hard but it's also gratifying to be done!!

• My goal was a year. I stay at home right now so I know that was a huge part of it. I don't know how working moms do it and BF, they are amazing!!!!!

Chase never bit too much, but when he was teething he tried a few times. My lactation consultant just told me to take him off and be done with that feeding if he bit or "nibbled", he eventually got it. No shouting, that just freaks them out, or flicking them (I heard it all) - you don't want to put anythign negative around when you are nursing.. it's a happy time!!!

• One more question... Did you ever have thrush? I've been happily BFing for over 5 months & all of sudden, it's painful. I'm seeing the doc tomorrow, but wondering if it could be thrush.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How about a question on exercise?

I have pretty much lost all my weight except for the usual 2-3 pounds that most books talk about.  I want to start working out again but have heard that it lowers your supply.  Any experience with this?

Thanks!

• I feel so stupid asking this, but what are your boobs like now? Bigger, smaller, saggier? I read an article about why one mom chose to FF and it was for cosmetic reasons. Ever since I read that, I just keep wondering what the end result will be after a year (hopefully!) of BF.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageslukd79:
    I feel so stupid asking this, but what are your boobs like now? Bigger, smaller, saggier? I read an article about why one mom chose to FF and it was for cosmetic reasons. Ever since I read that, I just keep wondering what the end result will be after a year (hopefully!) of BF.

I nursed DD for 3 years.

My breasts ended up 1 cup size bigger than before but saggier. The sagginess isn't from bfing; it's from the growth during pregnancy. Just buy a good push up bra. :)

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Good to know! Thanks!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How did you get rid of the nighttime feedings and middle-of-the-night feeds? DS just turned 2 and I want to start weaning...but he is NOT!!!!

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsGiviRN:

How did you get rid of the nighttime feedings and middle-of-the-night feeds? DS just turned 2 and I want to start weaning...but he is NOT!!!!

Have you tried the jay Gordon method for night weaning?  Worked so far for us! https://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html 

• imagesassiestgal:

I'm done! Whee! Ask away because I'm pretty sure I went through it all with him! :)

WTG mama! Yes
  • imageMrsGiviRN:

How did you get rid of the nighttime feedings and middle-of-the-night feeds? DS just turned 2 and I want to start weaning...but he is NOT!!!!

Butting in again...

I night weaned DD when she was 26 months. She was nursing anywhere between 1-3x a night at that point. Since she was older, I just talked to her and told her that the mommy milk had to go to sleep when she did, and she could have some in the morning when the sun came up. She still came into our bed in the middle of the night as usual, I just didn't nurse her. She threw a fit, cried, etc. but finally settled down next to me and went to sleep. I don't think it was more than a few weeks (stubborn girl) before she stopped crying when she woke up and couldn't nurse. She kept asking for mommy milk in the middle of the night for months though.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Thank you so much :)
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"