Pregnant after a Loss
Options

ummm Failed my 1 hour!!!!

I never thought this would happen! My OB was pretty much shocked too...So I went this morning and they called me just a few min ago to let me know I failed! I got a 167...

They are having me go back Friday morning to do the 3 hour...

DH thinks I will pass the 3 hour no problem just need to cut back on the ice-cream and sweets.

If I fail again what happens next?? I was not prepared for this at all. Is it a really big deal?? Sorry ladies it just makes me nervous now.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ummm Failed my 1 hour!!!!

• Options
    I failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour.  it is actually so common to fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour that there is a recommendation that everyone should just have to do a 2 hour but i don't think it is widely followed.  but let's say you do fail the 3 hour.  the biggest thing would be monitoring your diet to limit your intake of sugars and simple carbs.  you'd probably need to monitor your blood sugar a few times a day as well.  if that controls it the only thing else would be that they would monitor your blood sugar and little one's carefully after birth.  if your LO's sugar levels got low, they'd give sugar water to help raise it.  this is only a concern really the first few hours after delivery until baby is stable.  Only in cases where diet and exercise changes alone don't control your sugar levels during pregnancy might you have to take insulin.  obviously it is better to not have GD and you probably don't but even if you don't pass the 3 hour, it is usually nothing to be overly worried about.  GL!!
  • Options

imagepriya&peter:
    I failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour.  it is actually so common to fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour that there is a recommendation that everyone should just have to do a 2 hour but i don't think it is widely followed.  but let's say you do fail the 3 hour.  the biggest thing would be monitoring your diet to limit your intake of sugars and simple carbs.  you'd probably need to monitor your blood sugar a few times a day as well.  if that controls it the only thing else would be that they would monitor your blood sugar and little one's carefully after birth.  if your LO's sugar levels got low, they'd give sugar water to help raise it.  this is only a concern really the first few hours after delivery until baby is stable.  Only in cases where diet and exercise changes alone don't control your sugar levels during pregnancy might you have to take insulin.  obviously it is better to not have GD and you probably don't but even if you don't pass the 3 hour, it is usually nothing to be overly worried about.  GL!!

thanks! you made me feel a lot better about it! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi,

I failed my 1 hour w/ a 165.  My doctors were surprised too.  The only red flag I had was my grandmother was a type ii diabetic.  Anyway, I took the 3 hour and passed w/ flying colors.  My numbers for that were actually lower than for the 1 hour, go figure.

A few things about the 3 hours:

1.  The solution is sweeter - I think it was 100 g instead of 50.

2.  You get there, they do blood work, you drink the solution.  The do bloodwork at the 1 hr, 2 hr and 3 hr marks.

3.  I felt queasy the first hour, tired the second hour and hungry/ready to leave the third hour.

4.  They let me sit in my car which was really nice as I was able to squrim and whine to my H more in there ;)

5.  I've since heard that walking around will help you process the sugar and lower your numbers.  Not sure how I feel about this personally.  If it's standard not to move, I think I'd rather not so I would really know if I had GD or not.

Good luck to you!  I think about 15% who fail the 1 hour actually have GD. 

• Options

I failed both :(  I wasn't allowed to leave the waiting room for the 3 hour test since it messes with the results.  I would love to have "cheated" and passed, but that wouldn't be best for the LO!

I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day and watch my carb intake.  It's not as bad as I feared.  I actually just had a peanut butter cupWink 

I was upset when I first got the diagnosis, but after considering everything that could have happened during this pregnancy, I can handle GD!

• Options
    I also failed the one hour and passed the three. I think its actually pretty common. I was allowed to walk around in between draws but I'm not sure if that had any effect on the results.
  • Options

awe buddy, i'm sorry, that sucks! 

i failed my 1hr w/ DS and then went on to fail my 3hr too.  :o(  there's many misconceptions that you have to be overweight to have GD but that's not the case.  it's just the way your body processes things while your pg. and if you have anyone in your family your at a higher risk if getting it. 

so needless to say i had to prick myself 4x's/day and record it then call or fax in my numbers to my endocrinologist on a weekly basis.  my #'s were always ok but i had to monitor my food intake and meet w/ a dietician. 

w/ # 2 i failed the 1hr and passed the 3hr. it's crazy how it works. 

GL!!!!!  i hope you pass the 3hr!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Options
    oh and i did sneak out during the 3hr wait bc i couldn't take sitting in that cold room for 3hrs.  i never asked if i could leave i just did and sat in my car.  have no idea if that messed up my results or not, i never heard it could mess up results??? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Options

imageKelleyBean:
    I also failed the one hour and passed the three. I think its actually pretty common. I was allowed to walk around in between draws but I'm not sure if that had any effect on the results.

i had to do the 3 hour twice actually.  once when my re was trying to confirm my pcos diagnosis and then again with this pg.  both my re and ob said though that i had to sit still the entire time because walking helps metabolize the sugar (which is why they recommend exercise if you do have gd) but for the actual test they want to know what your body will do with the sugar when it is at rest.  that being said, it could be that for those women that are allowed to walk around, the doctor compares your test to a different benchmark than what they compare it too if you are not allowed to walk around.  the main thing is, ask whoever is doing your test whether you are allowed to walk around and only do it if they say it is OK because you want the test to give you the right result.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"