D.C. Area Babies

If you had a c-section, what comfy clothes did you wear after?

I'm trying to figure out what to pack for the hospital since I'm having a c-section this time.  I assume I'll be pretty sore, and won't want anything tight in that area.  I purchased the c-section support band that vtkendra recommended last week, so I'll have that, but what else should I bring?  Yoga pants?  Nightgowns?  My favorite maternity sweats?  If you have any online shopping recs (since I'm trying not to leave the house a lot right now), that would be great, too.  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: If you had a c-section, what comfy clothes did you wear after?

• I didn't have a c-section - but how about low-riding yoga pants?  I think old navy has some...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You'll want things where the waistband hits closer to your waist -- granny panties, higher-waisted yoga pants, PJ pants or other comfortable pants.  Nightgowns will also work.  Low-rise pants and underwear hit in exactly the wrong spot.   I don't think I wore bikini underwear for at least a month after my c-section.

I actually didn't wear anything other than the hospital gown in the hospital until the last day, when I changed into yoga capri pants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I wore maternity clothes, with over-the-tummy band and everything loose & comfy
  • I wore VS fold waist yoga pants and Old Navy dresses (regular not maternity) both with Target nursing tanks.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• imageLMH1209:

You'll want things where the waistband hits closer to your waist -- granny panties, higher-waisted yoga pants, PJ pants or other comfortable pants.  Nightgowns will also work.  Low-rise pants and underwear hit in exactly the wrong spot.   I don't think I wore bikini underwear for at least a month after my c-section.

I actually didn't wear anything other than the hospital gown in the hospital until the last day, when I changed into yoga capri pants.

ooopss....shows you how much I know - don't mind my post! 

• I would bring your most comfortable maternity outfit that sits at your waist (or will after you deliver).  It might have been my situation (pre-e & HELLP Syndrome) but they pumped me full of fluids, so when I got home, I hadn't really lost much weight.  I wore one of my DH's big t-shirts and draw-string sweat pants for a while.  

My unsolicited bit of advice would be to stay on top of your pain/discomfort by taking the prescribed meds as often as allowed to stay ahead of the pain.  I did not always do that and I could tell when I was past due for a pain pill.  (That is, if you are willing to take the pain meds.) 

Good luck!   

• I wore yoga pants and t-shirts because I never wanted to see maternity clothes again :-) I got the ones from victoria's secret and they were super comfy. I wore a support band from the day after my c-section and it helped so much with moving around! It does not seem like you would want something constricting around your middle but it really did feel great to have the support.
  • Yes, the higher the better! I lost a lot due to fluid but it was still good to not have anything rub against the incision if at all possible.

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Oh, I'm glad you got the support band. Ask your doctor when is the appropriate time to start wearing it. I didn't buy mine until a few weeks after so I'm not sure how soon after you can start with it. But it really helped me, especially for riding in the car where there are bumps. It just made me feel more pulled together.

I wore the hospital disposable underwear at the hospital. When I got home, I bought a pack of Hanes cotton granny panties that come up to my belly button and that are extra large. The incision for me was right above my pubic hair so I didn't want anything tight around there. For pants, I wore yoga/maternity type pants that don't really have a waistband. I had two pairs and I just alternated for the first few weeks.

I agree with the pp about taking your meds and staying ahead of the pain. For some reason, I didn't want to take my meds because I was afraid I would get addicted (like some of the mom's I've seen on Oprah) so I tried to tough it out. That was a dumb decision on my part. For the next baby, I'm going to take all the meds and not worry about it.

I hope everything goes well. It sounds like you are really prepared.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a surprise c-section at 32 weeks, so I didn't really get to pack my ideal bag, but you will want some granny panties.  The hospital will give you these icky mesh undies to wear, but they reminded me of the mesh bag onions come in.  But you don't want bikini underwear b/c the waistband will sit right on your incision.  Same thing with pants.  Wear something that goes over the tummy.  Plus you will be sporting a giant maxi pad (bring your own) so maybe not pants that are too tight. 

I used the hospital gowns the whole time, which are not attractive, but you won't care if you get blood on it, plus it is easy to BF in the gowns since the shoulder unsnaps. 

• the disposable mesh panties they give you were my best friends.

i had a horrible burning sensation for several weeks (that only faded somewhat but still bothered me after several months) and i couldn't stand to have anything sitting on my belly.

i wore nightgowns and robes for a long time. when i did start wearing pants, they were over the belly pants. 

• Ok, I will definitely pull out some of my granny panties from last pregnancy (I was so proud of myself for not wearing them this time, LOL).  I just ordered two nursing gowns that look super comfy and soft, so hopefully they fit well.  I think I'll also bring my favorite loose goucho (sp?) pants.  Thanks for the advice!
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Like pps said, you'll want things w/a high waist.  Other than that, anything was fine.  My incision didn't really bother me all that much anyway.  It was more my insides that hurt.
  • Granny panties and high wasted yoga or sweat pants. I got my sweat pants from Target - I think they were $12.

I actually just wore the disposable hospital undies until I went home - why potentially ruin yours?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Def anything high waisted.  I pretty much lived in my lucy roll up yoga pants. They are very old and not sure if they have them anymore but I am sure any roll up yoga pants will do.  I also wore nightshirts to bed or VS cotton pj pants.  I had one pair on Gap maternity jeans that I LOVED and wore for about 8 months after having my section.  Oh and def invest in some cheap granny panites.

Good luck!

• imageLeaLea:

Granny panties and high wasted yoga or sweat pants. I got my sweat pants from Target - I think they were $12.

I actually just wore the disposable hospital undies until I went home - why potentially ruin yours?

I wore the mesh hospital undies while I was in the hospital with DD, and I'm sure I'll use them this time as well, but I have no problem ruining my granny panties.  This is most likely my last pregnancy, and I refuse to wear them after I am back to "normal."  ;-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"