D.C. Area Babies

If your OB is at Greenbrier OB-GYN

What was your first pregnancy appointment like?  I have my first appointment, at 8 weeks, this Friday.  The receptionist told me that I am only meeting with the nurse for bloodwork and then can schedule another day to meet with the nurse practioner for a follow-up visit. 

Was this how your first appointment went?  This seems weird to me - when I had DS at Georgetown, my first visit at 8 weeks was a complete visit with bloodwork and an ultrasound to listen to the heartbeat.

Re: If your OB is at Greenbrier OB-GYN

• They talked to me ordered some blood work, and gave me some books to read.  There was no sono until my nuchal at 12 weeks.  They send you out to washington radiology for sonos and lab corp or quest for bloodwork.  You meet with the nurse practitioner for your 12 week appt and then begin to cycle through the drs after that.  That being said, I love the practice, everyone is really nice.  Dr Pickford is my fav:-)

congrats!! 

• I had betas done at 6 weeks because of spotting, but that was totally just a blood draw in the lab. At 8 weeks I met with the nurse practitioner, went over total medical history, got a pap, bloodwork for everything. There is no ultrasound until the NT Scan or your "big" one at 20 weeks. I ended up seeing the nurse practitioner for the 8 week appointment and then only one routine one after that, all the rest were with the docs.

It was hard not having the ultrasounds, but when there was even a slight concern at 11 weeks they sent me to have one, mostly for peace of mind. I really love the practice, and had an awesome experience with them!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i forgot to mention with this pregnancy, they did let me get a sono at 8 weeks for my piece of mind bc i had a previous m/c...they wrote me a script to go to washington radiology for that.
  • OK, thanks ladies.  This is annoying.  I would like to confirm the pregnancy by hearing a heartbeat.  I might try to find another doctor. 
  • My case is slightly diff't as I came back to Greenbriar after my IUI at Shady Grove (I already had an ultrasound and b/w). But yes, my 12 week was with the NP.

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't go to that practice, but that sounds pretty standard. My OBs office would have only done a blood draw and urine sample plus meeting with the doc at 8 weeks. No ultrasound.

I was even transferred from a fertility clinic and had a prior m/c and still didn't get an u/s for my 9 week appt except I begged for one because my symptoms had disappeared and I was freaked out about another m/c.

My recollection is they don't like to have you "hear" the heartbeat via ultrasound because it hurts the baby's ears. Esp. at 8 weeks, your u/s would still be internal. You might see the heartbeat, but they probably wouldn't let you hear it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I go to Fair Ridge (in the same building) and they did a sono at 8 weeks to confirm pregnancy (see the heartbeat).  I don't know that I could make it until the NT screen!  They do all of the bloodwork and pap around 12 weeks.

My neighbor who goes to Fairfax OB/GYN had an 8 week u/s as well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesecuccaro:
    OK, thanks ladies.  This is annoying.  I would like to confirm the pregnancy by hearing a heartbeat.  I might try to find another doctor. 

You should go to Dr. Kacedan, he has a 3D machine in his office and will check the baby for piece of mind.  He sent me home with awesome pics the last 2 appts.  He is such a great Dr, I had bleeding and had to page him on his lunch break and he saw me right away.  

• image7*7*7bride:

imagesecuccaro:
    OK, thanks ladies.  This is annoying.  I would like to confirm the pregnancy by hearing a heartbeat.  I might try to find another doctor. 

You should go to Dr. Kacedan, he has a 3D machine in his office and will check the baby for piece of mind.  He sent me home with awesome pics the last 2 appts.  He is such a great Dr, I had bleeding and had to page him on his lunch break and he saw me right away.  

Thanks for the rec!  My neighbor had both her girls with Dr. Hodges and she loves him, as well.  I am going to see what happens at the appointment tomorrow.  I am going to request an ultrasound, because I really don't want to wait until week 12.  We'll see what they say. 

• imagesecuccaro:
    image7*7*7bride:

imagesecuccaro:

Thanks for the rec!  My neighbor had both her girls with Dr. Hodges and she loves him, as well.  I am going to see what happens at the appointment tomorrow.  I am going to request an ultrasound, because I really don't want to wait until week 12.  We'll see what they say. 

I wanted to see Dr. Hodges but when I called at the beginning of my pregnancy they said they weren't taking new patients Crying

• With DD, my first appt was at 6 weeks for intake and bloodwork, then my next appt was around 10 weeks with Connie (the NP) for my exam and to hear the heartbeat.  After that, I rotated doctors.

With my first loss, my intake was at 6 weeks and I had bloodwork - my hcg levels were low and they ordered an ultrasound.  My second loss, same, except they had me do 6 week and 8 week ultrasounds (baby lost between 2 ultrasounds)

I called last week to make an appt for this pg and they originally said 8 weeks, but since I have a history of m/c, they wanted to bring me in at 6 weeks for bloodwork.  I already had bloodwork done at the RE, so I'm just going to go in at 8 weeks for my intake.

Bottom line - 8 weeks is normal for them.  If your bloodwork looks "off", they will order an ultrasound, but if it looks good - then there is no reason to.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • Yup, except I don't think I had bloodwork the first appointment - definitely peed in the cup for a pg test though.  My meeting with the nurse was short and we discussed vitamins ...can't really remember much else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"