Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

If you read to your LO before bed

What do you do when they won't sit still for it? Most nights DS will sit with me in the glider while I read a few books. On some nights he pushes them away and turns around and tries to stand on me, etc.... On those nights I'll try a different book and if he's still not interested, that's the end of book reading for the night.

How do you handle it?

Re: If you read to your LO before bed

• Options

DH reads to him every night before bed.  He has 3 books that he likes to read.  Usually, he'll sit through most of the reading.  Sometimes, he'll want to look through one book while DH reads another one.  If he's really resisting the reading altogether, DH just cuts it short.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It took until DD was about 18 months that she would actually sit in my lap and read multiple books. Before that, we basically just read out loud while she carried on doing whatever she was doing in her room. Sometimes she'd come back and look at a page or two, but she wouldn't sit still for more than a minute at a time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If he doesn't want to be read to then we know he's not ready for bed---sometimes that happens.  Usually it just means he's got too much energy and needs to run it off---usually after 10 minutes he's ready for the books.
  • Options
    Lately we've been having luck placing DD in the chair while we sit in the floor in front of her (facing her) and reading the books to her that way. She gets enough of a kick sitting in the chair by herself to not want to run off while we read.
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    Well, I have a slightly different situation, but I put DDs in their cribs and then sit on the floor in front of them and read three books.  Most of the time, they stand at the end and pay attention, but sometimes they do something else or "read" another book they have in their crib.  There's just no way I can have both of them sit with me and chaos not reign--someone is either frustrated that the other is sitting on my lap too or they are trying to take the book or turn the pages (probably in opposite directions) or something else. 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    If DS is really squirmy, which doesn't happend often - he loves to read, I will put him in the crib.  It's right next to the glider so I can still show him the book while I'm reading.  He usually just stands in the crib until I'm done.
  • Options
    Usually our boys relax on the floor resting their head on a boppy while I read to them... 4 books.  Sometimes 1 or the other will just sit there in the boppy area and listen while I read.  But they don't typically move around other than to get another book.  I just keep reading while they do that and then when the 4 books are done it's time for cribs.

• Options
    DD will sit through at least one book at her own pace. Sometimes I can only say a few words on each page, but I figure, it still counts for reading!haha
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    normally if DD is super squirmy its because she's overtired so I just skip the book and either just talk softly or sing for a few minutes or put her right into her crib.  And she goes right to sleep.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"