Breastfeeding

Thrush boob pain - help!

DD and I are being treated for thrush.  She has no apparent symptoms other than the fact that she's refused to latch a couple times.  My only symptom is severe burning that starts about 5-10 minutes after I nurse or pump and lasts about an hour or two, sometimes til the next nursing/pumping session.  I'm taking Fluconazole (Diflucan), DD is on a Nystatin suspension.  We started 2 days ago.

My question is, until the meds take effect, is there anything that can help with the boob burning???  It hurts!!!  Also, could there possibly be another explanation other than thrush for severe burning after (but not during) nursing? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thrush boob pain - help!

• Gentian violet gave me relief the same day I started. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• you can also have vasospasms happening as a secondary complication to the thrush...once the thrush resolves, the vasospams will also subside (but it takes longer for that).
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the vasospasms (google Raynauds syndrome and breastfeeding) but had been treated for 2 months for thrush. I now think either the thrush resolved very quickly or I never had it and only had the vasospasms. The tell tale sign of this is your nipples turning white (I mean WHITE!!) after feedings. Mine would do this several times for an hour after every feed and burn. Neither my OB nor the Ped had heard of this, but once I educated them my OB called in a scrpit for the BP med that was listed in the literature I found on line and it has been a miracle. The first time since I started BFing that I have been pain free!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"