Austin Babies

Why do people do this?

I've only seen people do this in TX... but why do people drive with the hazards/flashers lights on their cars?  I thought you used them if you break down or are towing a car.  Not just making your way down the road.  It's not raining out and if it was, just put your lights on.  If it is an emergency, well you aren't an emergency vehicle... so you don't get special treatment on the roads like having people move out of your way or going faster than you should.  Am I missing something?  We saw this on our way to Colorado while still in TX and I just saw it happen again driving home for lunch. 

Re: Why do people do this?

• Were they going really slow? Sometimes if people are like, driving on a flat tire or something they'll turn the flashers on.

Also, ever since I got rear ended I always turn them on if I'm stopped on the highway and someone is coming up behind me. Though I guess that technically isn't "while driving"

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • EMTXEMTX member
    I have seen this is other parts of the country, too.

I think some people put theirs on to indicate that they're driving under the speed limit (i.e. when they have their trunk open to fit a large item), or they have a temporary tire on and are on their way to the shop, etc.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRach03k:
    Were they going really slow? Sometimes if people are like, driving on a flat tire or something they'll turn the flashers on.

was thinking the same thing... if you're having car trouble of some kind and can't drive at normal speeds, I'd put on my flashers.

~ Tiffany -- ATX PG Bio
    Loss at 15wks - Dec 2010 and 5.5wks - Sept 2011
    My little ballerina - thanks Life in Motion Photography!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've always considered it an emergency...Not as in they are going to render aide to someone, but as in "my wife is in labor in the seat next to me" or "my husband was just in a car accident and im racing to the hospital" and I just move out of their way in hopes that it is honesty and truely an emergency.

Also sometimes 911 dispatchers will have callers turn on their hazards so law enforecment can spot the drunk driver or road-rager they are reporting.

DX PCOS 2006 - Off BCPs since 1/09 - TTC #1 4 cycles clomid (50, 100, 150, 200) - FAIL, no O Multiple cycles clomid + femara - FAIL, no O 3 injectable cycles - FAIL Ovarian Drilling 6/2010. Several failed cycles follow. 11/2010 - "Hold" on IF treatment.
    10/24/2011 - Surprise BFP; EDD 6/21/12! BOY!

Sweet baby boy born 6/14 9lb 2oz via csection.
  • imagetwolverton:

imageRach03k:
    Were they going really slow? Sometimes if people are like, driving on a flat tire or something they'll turn the flashers on.

was thinking the same thing... if you're having car trouble of some kind and can't drive at normal speeds, I'd put on my flashers.

Driving totally normal, not on a flat or anything. 

• I drove with mine on while I was on 35 going 45-50mph with a smaller tire because DH had just changed my flat tire. I couldn't go any faster and couldn't get off the highway either. That's the only time I've ever driven with mine on but I've had friends who drive with theirs on because their car is broken down and they can't drive faster.

As for long stretches of driving...got me on that one.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelabbielover07:
    imagetwolverton:

imageRach03k:

Driving totally normal, not on a flat or anything. 

I'd wager that they forgot/didn't know they were on. I don't think there are specific laws about when to use them, but I would use them if I were stopped on a shoulder or had car problems that would cause me to swerve or stop suddenly.

• I know some people who put their flashers on so people can find them (if they have friends/family following and no longer see them behind them.)
    Mom to an almost 4 y/o and an almost 2 y/o. In process of growing our family through adoption.
  • Was it a single person or more? If you are in a funeral procession, you usually have the hazard lights on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People will usually do it if they have any sort of car trouble so then that way in the even that something falls off their car or the car suddenly just stops the people behind them will hopefully have a safe enough distance to avoid hitting them. 

People will also sometimes flash their hazards when they pass somebody at night.  Kind of like the "thanks" wave that the person being passed can see in the dark.

• imageKitkatishbakk:

Also sometimes 911 dispatchers will have callers turn on their hazards so law enforecment can spot the drunk driver or road-rager they are reporting.

That's what I was going to say. During a road rage 911 call, I was told by a dispatcher to turn on my flashers until the responding officer found me.

• So I guess there is no right or wrong when it comes to using those lights.  I guess I was questioning it since I saw it happen a bunch in a short time period. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"