1st Trimester

Question about Feta

Ok - so in downtown Mpls at Macy's, there is a salad I love. It is called Sonoma County. It is spinach, grilled chicken, strawberries, candied walnuts, garbanzo beans, FETA and herb vinaigrette. I've heard all these discussion about pasteurization and listeria. Can I have this cheese on my salad? It looks like the feta I would buy at a co-op  - very tasty, rather than the store brand kind. And no, there is no label to check. I guess I'm thinking no???

Re: Question about Feta

• As long as it's not more then a fingernail full of feta, you're fine.

Edit:  Here's a little enjoyment for the oldskoolers.

OP, seriously, it's fine.  Most cheese in the US is pasturized, that's what is most important.  Enjoy your salad.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Your fine to eat the salad.  Enjoy it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've read that you shouldn't.  No sense in making yourself wonder and worry later, I guess. Get the salad with parm instead???
  • I've been secretly eating feta since I got my BFP.  Honestly, I'm not that worried.  I just make sure I eat it in moderation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker We can do no great things - only small things with great love - Mother Teresa
  • AKay25AKay25 member
    It's fine. As others have noted, it's almost certainly pasteurized cheese anyways. Go for it. :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageRileyGrace:

As long as it's not more then a fingernail full of feta, you're fine.

OP, seriously, it's fine.  Most cheese in the US is pasturized, that's what is most important.  Enjoy your salad.

BWAHAHHAHHAAAAA fingernail full...............i'm dying over here!!! that was the best day ever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemommajen8:
    imageRileyGrace:

BWAHAHHAHHAAAAA fingernail full...............i'm dying over here!!! that was the best day ever.

I've been laughing about this for at least an hour now!  hahahahaha

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • imageRileyGrace:

<3

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it's pasteurized (which most cheeses in the US are) you're fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
  • imageRileyGrace:

LMAO!!!!  This is what I was going to reply with when I saw this post.  I am glad I am not the only one who remembers this.  Seriously, I think about that when I buy or even eat feta!

• imageRileyGrace:

LMAO!!!!  This is what I was going to reply with when I saw this post.  I am glad I am not the only one who remembers this.  Seriously, I think about that when I buy or even eat feta!

• oops, I got a little too enter button happy thinking about feta.
  •  

Ladies, thanks for the advice.

You know what? I've been really good. I've given up caffeine entirely (I used to be a coffee junkie-weird though, no desire for it), I've stayed away from lunch meats, I'm sad I don't eat to get my spicy tuna rolls, so you know what? I ate that salad and it tasted darn good and I didn't worry. I thought the finger nail thing was weird - (who only eats a fingernail size of feta?) So I just said medium amount (I would normally double up cuz I love it so much). You ladies must know something I don't about this finger nail thing?

So far, it's agreeing with Prune (10 weeks)

• My Doctor told me that feta it is perfectly fine as long as it's pasteurized-I wouldn't eat feta from a restaurant since there is no way of really knowing if it's safe. When buying it from the store-the label will say pasteurized on it, hope this helps-Good luck:)
  • imageRileyGrace:

this was like my most favoritest day on the nest EVAR. <3  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so glad I came here just to revisit the fingernail of feta!  :D

Glad you ate the salad!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I'm sure Macy's is fine...If it's a more ethnic restaurant I go ahead and ask the waitress if it's pasterized.  They can find out for you.

We have an awesome greek bistro and I am in love with their garlic feta fries!! mmmm now I want some for dinner!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was told Feta was fine because it's pasteurized.

Now, BLUE CHEESE isn't and should be totally off your radar! But Feta is fine. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"