Stay at Home Moms

Toys in the Living Room?

During the day, DS and I mainly play in the living room.  I used to haul all of his stuff (Exersaucer, bumbo and lots of small toys) back into his room every night and then back out in the morning but it's really a PITA.

BUT... I hate clutter.  

What do you guys do?  Any creative storage techniques?  Haul it back into their room every night or leave it in the living room? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toys in the Living Room?

• I hate clutter too. I leave his jumperoo and swing in the living room. But, we also rearranged in a way that they sort of fit without driving me crazy. We also have a two story house so there is nowhere else for me to store it without lugging it upstairs.

I also have a cute toy box and several smaller decorative baskets around the room to store baby clutter. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

• imageMrsRebecca:

I hate clutter too. I leave his jumperoo and swing in the living room. But, we also rearranged in a way that they sort of fit without driving me crazy. We also have a two story house so there is nowhere else for me to store it without lugging it upstairs.

I also have a cute toy box and several smaller decorative baskets around the room to store baby clutter. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

I did incorporate a basket to hold his small toys the other day and I am happy with that.  The exersaucer is just so obnoxious looking. lol  Maybe rearranging furniture would help... 

• Loading the player...
  • I live with toys all over the floor most of the time because it takes DD about 2 seconds to remove every single toy she owns from wherever it was put away when she entered the room.  I try sometimes to get her to pick things up but she thinks that means put all the toys in a basket and then turn the basket upside down and dump them on the floor again.  I'm hoping that when she gets a little older we can establish a regular clean up routine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMainelyFoolish:
    I live with toys all over the floor most of the time because it takes DD about 2 seconds to remove every single toy she owns from wherever it was put away when she entered the room.  I try sometimes to get her to pick things up but she thinks that means put all the toys in a basket and then turn the basket upside down and dump them on the floor again.  I'm hoping that when she gets a little older we can establish a regular clean up routine.

Yeah, but she's so frickin' cute, who cares?  lol 

• imageMamatoJackson:

imageMainelyFoolish:
    I live with toys all over the floor most of the time because it takes DD about 2 seconds to remove every single toy she owns from wherever it was put away when she entered the room.  I try sometimes to get her to pick things up but she thinks that means put all the toys in a basket and then turn the basket upside down and dump them on the floor again.  I'm hoping that when she gets a little older we can establish a regular clean up routine.

The cuteness wears down the 15th time you've stepped on a Mega Block or tripped over a ride-on toy.  :) 

• imageMainelyFoolish:
    imageMamatoJackson:

imageMainelyFoolish:

The cuteness wears down the 15th time you've stepped on a Mega Block or tripped over a ride-on toy.  :) 

lol

Ahhh, yes I guess there's that. 

• lol ~ ditto Mainly! down to the last word she said. :)

I pretty much have a no toys rule in two rooms- our bedroom and the den (where DH and I relax) the living room is pretty much Gisele's main play area- Gisele doesn't have many toys in her bedroom- a basket of stuffed animals and her books- that is about it. But that is how i was raised- bedrooms are for sleeping- not playing. No judging- just saying how it is in our house.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When my boys were younger, I would do the same thing you do. 

Now, their toys have to stay in their room, not that it happens but I play mommy the maid all day long.

I am going to get one of those big wicker baskets with a lid from Target to put all of their toys that keep making their way into the living room into.

• I just did my best to keep things organized (and in the living room) until about two months ago, when I suddenly couldn't stand it any more and moved about 90% of their toys to the basement. I'd been reluctant to do so, because until recently I felt like I couldn't leave Clayton for any length of time, and it's hard to get anything done when you're stuck in the basement. Now I feel OK being right upstairs in the kitchen where I can hear them and checking on them frequently. My house looks so much better.
  • My kids have a play area in the living room. I figured since I can't fight their nature since they are kids and will be living with us for a while, I might as well make the best of it.  They are in charge of keeping their toys picked up at the end of the day. If I have to pick it up, it goes in the trash.  I have a storage shelf type of bin system for them plus several Rubbermaid type of buckets for their toys so it stays somewhat organized.  It definitely helps once they're a little bigger and the big clunky toys like exersaucer are gone...but then they get replaced by Legos which are hella fun to step on barefoot...
  • At your son's age, we left the exersaucer in the family room and just pushed it to one corner in the evenings.  We also have a designated toy basket that I regularly clean out.  So it has all the smaller toys that he likes to play with.  Also now he has a plastic tractor that he likes to ride around on that is in the family room.  But the tractor and the basket of toys are tucked into a corner between the couch and wall and the basket is really cute (think seagrass with a linen washable liner) so I don't think it looks too bad.  He also has a small wooden table with 2 chairs in our family room, but they are wood grain, not painted so they're not overly "kid-style".  We are the same about not wanting too much kid stuff sitting out or clutter in general.  In his bedroom are the rest of his toys in a couple baskets and bins.  Then I have the rest put away in a cabinet and I sort of rotate them between the downstairs basket, his bedroom bins, and the cabinet to keep things interesting. 

I would find a cute bin that you like for your living room and use that as the designated toy storage bin and keep cleaning it out so its never over full.  Then when he is bigger he knows where he can get his toys and also knows where to put them away.  A friend had a cute trunk that she used for this purpose, or you could use a storage ottoman, or whatever.  (Although may want to think safety on having something with a lid).

Good luck!

• Aside from her swing, PNP, and Jumperoo, all of DD's toys get put away in her room each night. When she's older, we're going to design a playroom for her in the basement so it will hopefully be less of an issue. For now, we only have a one story home so I don't mind carrying everything back to her room each night.
  • When DD was little, her toys were 100% invisible in our house.

Now that she's been around for 3 yrs and has accumulated larger items, the toys live in our livingroom. I've had to make my peace with this issue.

It comes down to the fact that DD's bedroom is very small and her toys wouldn't fit in there if we tried, and I also don't want to spend my day in her tiny bedroom. So her stuff is in the livingroom. It gets put away in bins, which are all organized and DD knows where to find every single item. But the bigger items are clearly visible - play kitchen, easel, etc.

I really love the Expedit bookshelves from Ikea. They fit the Itso cubes from Target and are the perfect size for storing toys.

• Wow, you haul his exersaucer into his room?!?  I would never have the energy or desire to do that!  I know having a family/living room taken over by toys is a PITA, but it kind of comes with the territory of having a baby.  And trust me, it will get a LOT worse as Jackson gets older.  DD's toys have multiplied exponentially, and I've come to accept that our family room is now the play room.  

It does help to keep a lot of the toys in her room, but I don't haul them anywhere.  She plays with them when we are upstairs and I'm doing laundry or we're just hanging out in her room.  They stay up there.  I bought a shelf/organization system at target to contain some of the smaller toys and all of her books in the family room, as well as two large wicker baskets to contain the rest.  Even with all of that, we still have a small pile in the corner of the room.  *sigh*

Now with baby #2 coming soon, we are going to have baby AND toddler toys in here, and I've just got to accept it.   You'll be in the same boat in about 7 months!  ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • When DS was an infant, all of his gear I bought was tan and chocolate, and fit in with my decor.  (I think it was the boppy brand).  The only thing that was bright was his "Jump Jump Baby" and that lived in his room.  We have baskets in the living room for his toys, movies, etc., and a big tub in our living room closet for toys.  He's allowed to bring his toys out here, but they go back in his room (ideally twice a day, but, uh, not lately :/).  I hate it looking like I live in a daycare- mainly because I was a pre-k teacher for years before DS came along. 

• When the kids we younger, we kept their toys in the living room.  As babies it was a bouncer seat, the jumperoo and swing.  The jumperoo stayed there until DD#2 outgrew it then we sold it.  Once the big stuff was gone, we kept a basket with toys and then some of the bigger playsets out in the living room, lined up in front of the bay window.  For birthday or gatherings at our house we'd move the toys into DD's bedroom so we could put our couch there and make a larger space. And then.....for DD#2's last birthday we did our usual "clean-out" of the living room and afterward we moved the couch back and LOVED the bare space.  We figured since DD#2 is old enough to carry her toys she can play in her room (right off the kitchen and living room area) or bring out whatever she wants into the living room.  At night we put everything back.  Now the only toy left in our living room is the play kitchen and it blends in really well and it's not in the way at all so I don't mind.
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used to have all of his toys in the living room too and it was driving us crazy.  Jordan asked to move into the guest bedroom because her room was cold at night during the winter.  We said ok and turned her old bedroom into his playroom....giving us our living room back.

I haven't read the other responses, so this may have already been suggested, but Target has really cute storage options w/ open shelves and you can use baskets as drawers...and they're not terribly expensive.

• Something similar to this was what I was thinking. 

Product Image RiverRidge Kids 6 Bins Storage Unit- Espresso

• Or something like this with cute baskets.

Product Image babyletto Storage Unit Open Cupboard Espresso

• I love internet 'window shopping'.   :)
  • We have a living room? Toys are everywhere; like a pp said the no toys rule generally is just for the bedrooms (excluding her's). I do have 2 toy baskets set up for the smaller stuff and there's a partition like space that I hide the bigger stuff behind when we have company, besides that I have learnt to embrace the clutter until she's older and can understand/help with the tidy up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"