Attachment Parenting
Options

Bedsharers: is your toddler ever awake while you're asleep?

As I posted yesterday, LO has been going through a phase where he wakes up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.  Last night he slept in his crib until around 2:30(?) and then came into our bed.  DH often will stay asleep but I'm always awake when LO is - however, I have very little recollection of what happened after he came into bed with us.  I know I nursed him.  I know he was awake at some point again after that (maybe even twice), but I was so exhausted I guess I went right back to sleep.  And, apparently, so did he!  While I'm thrilled, this makes me nervous b/c our bed is on a frame without any sort of railing, so it's possible he could fall off if he got near the edge (at least there is carpeting).  So, that's why I'm usually awake when he is, b/c I want to be able to monitor his whereabouts(not to mention, I'm always trying to help him go back to sleep).  Anyway, yay for him putting himself back to sleep, but yikes for being asleep when he could have gotten into trouble!  For this reason, we should probably make our bed less dangerous, but I keep thinking he's going to transition to his crib full-time very soon.
Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bedsharers: is your toddler ever awake while you're asleep?

• Options
    aglennaglenn member
    DD is not a toddler yet, but she is a very active crawler.  I used to sleep very lightly and wake up every time she moved a muscle, but lately I've been sleeping through her rolling and crawling around and will wake up to find her up on DH's pillow, or stretched out sideways in a weird position, and have no recollection of feeling her move.  I'm getting pretty worried about it because she could definitely fall off the bed.  I thought about bed rails, but feel like she'll just pull up on them (her new favorite trick is pulling up to standing on all sorts of unsafe things) and/or crawl around them anyway.  I really don't want to move her to her crib, but of course I want her to be safe, and always told myself I wouldn't keep bedsharing just for my benefit...but it is hard.  :(
  • Options

Why not teach him to get down? We started teaching DD to get down from our bed when she was around 10 or 11 months so we didn't have to worry about her falling off if she got to close.

Now, at 21 months, we even have stairs so she can get on the bed by herself. If she wakes and we want to get a little more shut eye, she'll get down and go to her room to play. Our house is 100% babyproof so we don't worry about her... well, unless she's too quiet then we'll get up to check on her, but its nice that she can have that bit of independence.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD is usually in her room all night, but every once in a while she'll end up with us. And when she does, she usually has a hard time going back to sleep (but at least she's not crying in her room). We used to have our bed on lifts to make it higher. We've taken those out so our bed is really pretty low, but still on a frame.  Other than that, I make sure she's in between me and DH so that she won't roll off and I keep our room baby-proofed and close the door.  We actually haven't had it happen yet that she gets down off the bed without me noticing first that she's awake.  HTH!

BTW, your DS is getting so big and absolutely adorable! I just want to rub my cheeks on his little peach-fuzz head!  Smile

• Options
    image7river7wed7:

Why not teach him to get down? We started teaching DD to get down from our bed when she was around 10 or 11 months so we didn't have to worry about her falling off if she got to close.

We've done this.  He does know how to get down safely, but my concern is that he doesn't necessarily have a sense of where he is on the bed.  So, he can be sitting near the edge facing inward and have no clue he's that close to the edge.  One false move and he'd be over the edge.  He generally sleeps in between DH & me (unless I'm nursing on the left side in which case I try to stay awake until he's done and I can move him back between us), but I worry about those occasions where I do fall asleep nursing on that side, or him waking up and crawling over closer to the edge.

image7river7wed7:

Now, at 21 months, we even have stairs so she can get on the bed by herself. If she wakes and we want to get a little more shut eye, she'll get down and go to her room to play. Our house is 100% babyproof so we don't worry about her... well, unless she's too quiet then we'll get up to check on her, but its nice that she can have that bit of independence.

I like the stool idea!

LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• Options
    imageErinMSB:

Other than that, I make sure she's in between me and DH so that she won't roll off

We do the same but occasionally I'll fall asleep while nursing on my left side and even when he's between us I worry about him waking up and crawling over to the edge.  I'm a light sleeper but lately have been so exhausted, it's hard to know what will happen!

imageErinMSB:

BTW, your DS is getting so big and absolutely adorable! I just want to rub my cheeks on his little peach-fuzz head!  Smile

Oh, thanks!!  I was just admiring your beautiful daughter. :)

Life is beautiful!

• Options
    We have a floor bed so he often wakes up before me and goes and plays in the room.  Our room is babyproof and we have a bunch of toys in there for him.   If he needs me he lets me know.  He wakes up way to early for me be able to function, this allows me to get a little more sleep Smile
  • Options
    We sleep with our boys in their room on Aerobeds.  Totally comfortable and safe.
  • Options
    DS still bedshares in the wee morning hours. He'll come in about 3am and crawl into bed for a snuggle. I normally fall back asleep before he does (and if I'm not home due to work I know DH doesn't wake up at all). He has never tried to get into anything. The most he's ever done is turn on his cartoons and perch on the lazy boy in our room until one of us is up. This has gone on for about two years so I'm not really worried about it. Our home is "Will-proofed" enough that there's not much he can get into anyway. Eta: we have a full sized bed and DS often sleeps on the outer side w/ me in the middle (he prefers it this way). He's never once fallen off the bed and we don't have railings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh, how I wish I could sleep while he is awake! He slaps and pulls hair until we wake up...

As for making the bed safer, we side carred the crib and then we sleep with him between us. Also, we taught him how to get out of bed safely when he was 9 mos. old.  He is so clingy that he won't leave bed without one of us anyway so I don't have worries about him getting out and causing mayhem throughout the house.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"