Pre-School and Daycare

When to change to booster seat??

My SD is 4 and a half about 32 pounds and at least 41 inches tall. When do we switch her to a booster seat rather than the car seat that she's in? The current car seat goes up to 50 pounds...TIA!!

Re: When to change to booster seat??

• I think I've heard 4 and 40 meaning age 4 and at least 40 pounds. Since your carseat goes to 50 pounds I would keep her in that until then unless she has less than one inch between her head nad the top of the seat.

Also I think in VA you have to keep her in a booster until age 8, so that's at least 4 years more- just check the expiry date on the booster when you do get it. (to make sure it will last)

• a 5 pt harness seat is the safest option - i plan to keep my boys in them until there are none that fit them anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning to keep DD in a harnessed seat until 6 years if possible. She just turned 4 and is 40-41 lbs and 43-44".

Right now she's in a Britax Marathon in one car and a Graco Nautilus (ff harnessed seat the converts to a booster) in the other.

ETA: The bare minimum for a booster is 4 years AND 40 lbs.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My oldest is 6 and he's still in a 5pt harness. We just barely went to the last slots and then we'll go to just the booster. I am so nervous for the day when he's outgrown the upper back portion of the seat.

We use Graco Nautilus seats for both boys btw. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    A belt positioning booster is much more about mental maturity than physical maturity. Can the child be trusted to leave the seat belt over his shoulder? Not to bend over to get a toy? Not to wiggle his arm out? Not to shove it down so he can twist around to look out the window? There really aren't many 3yos ever that are that mature, and most 4yos aren't, either. We're just planning to stick with 5-pt harnesses until we have no choice- there's no benefit to a booster that's worth the risk to us for the foreseeable future.

I completely agree about the maturity aspect of it. Hands down I know for sure my oldest wouldn't have been ready for a belt positioning booster until maybe just this year and he's 6.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • #6#6 member

5-Point harness your child please.  It is the safest option and I am so confused as to why parents are in such a rush to move their child to a booster?  Seriously....we spend so much time picking out the most perfect name, crib bedding, nursery decor, baby gear, best stroller etc and yet the least amount of time/concern on car seat safety and it is one of the leading causes of death in small children.  

Not saying you specifically but in genearl kids are moved to boosters way too soon.  Mainly because people follow only the law and dont really know about the newer recommendations of keeping kids in a 5point harness longer (at least 65lbs...there are some seats that go up to 80lbs)

I honestly think that education about the newer recommendations will save lives.  I tell everyone I know who is about to buy or already has their small child in booster.  I dont care if it makes me look like an @$$.  If I didnt say something and they were to wreck and their child killed/seriously injured I would feel like much more of an @$$ for not saying something.  A lot of people really just dont know.  I didnt until I posted on here a pic of L in his new booster.  He was 3yrs and 40 lbs.  Age and weight appropriate by law.  Seat was given to me for going to a car seat safety class for WIC.  

Check out the Kyle David foundation website.  They have alot of info and stories on there that will change your mind about going to a booster.  

The Graco Nautilus is the last seat you will have to buy.  5-point harness up to 65lbs and then becomes a booster and later a backless booster.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"