Northern California Babies

Opinions/thoughts please

I rented a house in San Diego off of Craigslist.  The guy we rented from seems legit, we signed a contract, I have his phone number, home address, etc.

I provided him with my credit card info when I signed the contract, giving him permission to run the card tomorrow.

He emailed me yesterday asking if we could pay by cash or check instead, since credit card fees are expensive.  I asked him for a discount for paying by cash or check, he said no, I said run the card.

Then he emailed me to ask if I had a paypal account and could pay that way. 

Now I am starting to get a little paranoid.  I figure since we are using our card and, potentially using paypal, if for some reason we get to San Diego and are unable to get into the house, we can fight the charges right?

What do you guys think?  Am I just being paranoid or would you question this also?

Re: Opinions/thoughts please

• Did he want a CC number to begin with?  Or did you just provide that?  I would be weary of why he would ask for CC and then change it to cash and/or check.  So now he has your CC number, but will also get cash as well.  I think I would be little paranoid too.

• Can you use paypal to pay with your credit card?  Maybe check w/ your credit card company to verify that if something happened you'd be protected if you paid that way.

I have encountered vacation rental owners who only want cash or check and it worked out fine, but I would much prefer CC or if that's not an option, paypal.  What's odd in this case is that he ok'd the CC and then changed his mind.  Are there any reviews or references he can give you from previous guests?

• Loading the player...
  • Paypal would also be using your credit card, right?  So it's still a charge to your card that could be disputed?  I would not send him a check or cash, but would be fine with the Paypal.  I'd guess that he probably doesn't know HOW to charge you for the room with your CC #.  I know that if my renters at my condo wanted to pay their rent with a cc, I'd be completely confused about how to do that.  He sounds way too inexperienced and confused to be all that sketchy, honestly.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It costs money to the payee if you use your credit card, so I imagine he is just probably trying to avoid those fees.  I wonder if paypal offers the same kind of protection that a credit card does....might be worth looking into.  But, honestly, it wouldn't raise huge red flags for me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone, I think I am just being paranoid because I am worried when we get there, we aren't going to have a house, like this guy was a con man or something.

I had to give him my credit card to reserve the dates for the house.  I can use my credit card with Paypal, so I think we are ok.

• I think the fees are about 3% for the payee on credit card purchases...although I'm not sure how he'd even process it without PayPal. I think PayPal changed their policy so that any purchase is covered if there is a dispute and your cc should cover you as well, so I'd actually be more comfortable doing it this way as opposed to cash or check.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know if someone falsely charges you via pay pal you can fight the charges up to 50% (like on ebay) but beyond that I'm not sure. GL!
  • Thanks everyone, it looks like we are protected through both paypal and our credit card, so I made the payment.
  • I would trust your gut and be honest and say you understand why he wants to do it that way..But tell him your fears and why you wont. ALso start looking to rent elsewhere
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"