Trouble TTC

Newbie-Advice/suggestions please

I've been lurking on here ever since we decided to ditch the pills 10/09 when we got married.  After 9 cycles, we decided to do just the basics: 7dpo progesterone and SA and then make decisions about further work-up/interventions based on our results.  My doc wanted 6-9 mos of trying the old fashioned way but we both had some little history items that prompted her to begin our work-up before the 1 year mark.  My 7dpo was 13 which she said was normal but apparently DH's SA was kind of a mess.  Count and motility both less than 1.  I dont even know what that means, but I'm pretty sure its NOT good at all!  I called my OB's office today for more details and they wouldn't tell me anything without my husband (eventho my doc told me she would give me info at our appt).  I tried looking things up online and it's even more confusing.  We were referred to a urologist who deals in RE also.  I guess thats good...

Being a nurse and usually being in the position of comforting others and providing education, I feel lost.  I will confess, I make a terrible patient.  I feel like the referral is a step in the right direction (yet I dont know what kind of coverage we have).  I feel horrible for my DH too, I know this hurts him.  I'm trying not to show him my fear but he knows me too well to hide much.  I still worry too that there could be other issues on my end also.   No one in my family (or his) has ever dealt with this.  I'm about a month into a new job and missing leaning on my old work crew for this.  I'm not really sure who to discuss this with or open up to.  

Any advice or suggestions welcome!  I see how much knowledge and experience you all have here and as much as I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone, it's nice to see there are others out there to relate to. 

Re: Newbie-Advice/suggestions please

• Hi and welcome!

It seems that it was a good idea to get an SA done. Count and motility below one, must mean below one million count and 1% motility? You are right to ask for the results.

There was some confusion on MH SA. I would advise you to sign a release at your doctor's office so they can send you the actual SA. When I got mine, the #'s were different than they told me. This is rare, but it's sure nice to have the numbers. 

You def need another SA soon. Make sure YH takes a daily vitamin and maybe a sperm supplement. The RE will prob call for an SA as soon as you see him. You'll need a CD3 bw to check hormones and all that good stuff for you too.

GL!

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Hm. I'm having trouble with the "count and motility both less than 1". Does that mean less than 1 million/ml? Total? Is motility less than 1%? It's hard to say without knowing exactly what they mean by that.

Going to the reproductie urologist is definitely the first step. Sometimes I love our urologist so much I want to hug and kiss him, but that would be weird so I don't. He was able to fill in a lot of MFI gaps my RE couldn't. I COMPLETELY understand about worrying about issues on your end. I do that too, but other than standard testing there's not much they'll do without an indication there's a problem. What other tests did you have done? CD3 blood work is a necessity. Did she do that? 7DPO is a good test but it's not the only test for sure.

You can definitely open up here. I haven't been here long but these ladies have helped me with a lot of problems when no one else could have understood. Welcome in, but I hope you don't have to stay long :)

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

• Loading the player...
  • I understand where you are coming from. MH has is urologist appointment Friday because of low motility but they never gave me any numbers or anything. I hope they do Friday. I am new also, and these ladies have been very kind and welcoming!

Good Luck!

TTC since April 2009 July 2009: ultrasound & bloodwork, found cyst on ovaries August 2009: Lap done, diagnosed with Stage 2 Endo and Ovarian Cyst April & May 2010: 50mg Clomid: BFN, quit taking because no monitoring June 2010: SA done=Low Motility July 2nd: 1st Appt with Urologist August 16th: 2nd SA for DH and appt with Urologist= 16% motility and 3% morph. First RE Appt December 2010: DH's SA was way worse than we thought. RE told us IVF only. IVF#1: January 2011-canceled due to apparently a "very impressive" cyst (words from my nurse). IVF #1.2: February-March 2011:??
  • I am sorry i do not have any advice about your situation. But i do know these ladies have some very valuable information and hopefully you will find some comfort and answers to your questions.

I too have no one to really open up to that actually understands what the hell i am talking about. No one in our families have had problems with IF before. Guess i'm the lucky one! lol GL to you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wish I could tell you!  The nurse from the office would not tell me anything!  His count was .05 and "something about the motility" was .04 (per DH).  I tried to explain million/ml and % to him but apparently they didnt say anything about it to him.  Thanks so much!
  • Good Luck Friday...hopefully you will get some info.  I think knowing there is an issue but having no info is the worst!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"