Special Needs
Options

Why oh why does it have to be this way

My dh and I are still trying to get ourselves out of debt from the medical bills we acquired during the first 5 months of ds dx and therapy that we paid all out of pocket for. We live in southern Indiana, just accross the river from the big city, Louisville, KY. Indiana laws regarding autism insurance were so much different than KY. And I found it so completely frustrating that it took us 5 months to find out, even after doing my own extensive research, talking to numerous cotacts, that the way to go was private insurance. And then, it took us even longer to get a name of a broker who actually knew something about autism regulations, and that person isn't even here locally, she is from the big city, Indianapolis, 2 hrs away from us. We went through her and did things all electronically, she was our life saver, literally.

Everytime we make a payment on our CC, I get so mad that we could have avoided a lot of this debt, if someone in our area actually knew half of what was going on and offered info to us. None of the autism big wigs in Louisville, knew a thing about Indiana.

I find it interesting too, that the therapists that work with ds are dumbfounded that we have NO issues with our insurance company and that we get reimbursements on a regular basis. Apparently I am in the minority, not sure why, I mean state law says they have to pay, so I don't see where the difficulty lies. But, anyway, now anytime my therapists get a new Indiana client, they are always calling me to get the info to pass on. I don't understand why it has to be "'found" out this way. Shouldn't this be more widely known, out there, on some big website. I just don't want to see other parents go through the same thing as me.

I guess this was more of a vent then anything. Thanks for listening.

Re: Why oh why does it have to be this way

• Options
    I have had the exact same experience and find it equally frustrating.  I also have had zero problems with my insurance co. (once DS had a formal diagnosis) its everyone else that makes me want to scream.  I think the problem usually lies in the fact that everyone is looking at it from their little window with zero communication with any other group and to make it even more fun it varies for almost everyone based on where you specifically live and your insurance plan.  Madness. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"