South Carolina Babies
Options

Henna artwork on pregnant bellies... (safe)

Hello all!

My name is Heathereena; I am new to the site and live in the Columbia area.  I have recently started TTC, and have started a personal blog here.  I invite you to check it out.

I am a henna artist in my spare time, and was wondering if anyone would like to get together for a free henna party.  I've been wanting to decorate a pregnant belly for years now.  Hopefully I'll get to do my own soon!

In case you're not familiar with henna, it is a natural paste made from non-toxic plant leaves that can be used to temporarily tattoo skin reddish-brown.  The "tattoos" last from 1-3 weeks and disappear as you exfoliate.  It can be used in conjunction with face painting materials and techniques.  I would be happy to send or post more details if anyone wants to hear more about it.

Please let me know if you're interested and we'll set something up!

Best wishes,

Re: Henna artwork on pregnant bellies... (safe)

• Options

I'm not in Columbia but we recently have a "henna void" here in the upstate.  Our one and only belly artist left town. 

I love henna feet and bellies!  Our artist promoted her work by doing free samples on hands at birthy events, birth centers, acupuncture/massage clinics, etc.

Good luck with your art! 

• Options

It's always great to meet henna fans!  Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to add a few things for my Carolina Girls.  First, I would be willing to travel just about anywhere within a 2-3 hour radius of Columbia to throw a henna party.  If you can get enough people (or skin) :) together to make it worth the travel time, email me at hdluttrell@yahoo.com and we can set something up.  I am especially interested in decorating mommy-to-be bellies, but I love doing henna all over.  I love it so much I am willing to do it for FREE!  Of course, donations to cover some of the gas would be welcomed but not required.

If the ladies (and gentlemen, for that matter) in the Columbia general area are interested, please email me at the address above anytime and we can discuss arrangements for smaller groups or even individuals.

A note on Safety:  I use all natural, safe henna.  Not the "black henna" with PPD (aka hair dye) that you might have heard bad rumors about.  (If you haven't heard about "black henna," please stay away from it, pregnant or not!)  My henna is pure and I mix it myself.  It stains the top layers of skin a reddish-brown color, and fades away as you naturally exfoliate.  Essential oils can be added to the henna paste to enhance the stains.  In particular, lavender is the safest, mildest additive that I would ever consider using on a pregnant belly. If anyone is concerned that even this might be too strong, I would be happy to leave it out and use only rainwater in mixing the paste.  [Other essential oils are safe but stronger, and can potentially cause mild skin irritation (although in 8 years of practice I have never encountered anyone whose skin was irritated - even people with sensitive skin.)  Regardless, if any irritation occurs during application, the henna can be removed with vegetable oil, and it should stop immediately.]  If you have interest, but still have concerns, please contact me to discuss. 

There are wonderful benefits in henna.  It is extremely relaxing and a great way to pamper yourself, much like a mani/pedi.  The gentle touch received during henna application can help you feel more secure and loved.  The aromatherapy aspect is also worth note:  Lavender in particular is known for its relaxation quality.  It can make you feel more beautiful (not to imply that you aren't gorgeous already!)  If you are considering getting a real tattoo, henna can be a great way to try out your design for a few weeks before you commit.  Did I mention that this process is PAINLESS?

I have some samples of my work on another well-known community website which I won't mention here, as my intent is not to solicit anything but Fun!  If you email me, I'd be happy to send you a link.  If I can get some takers, I would like to start a collection of pregnant belly artwork that I might publish on my photos section of this website (with the recipients' consent, of course.)  I am a decent artist, and can replicate most patterns easily.  So if you have an idea, print it out.  Or, tell me some things you might like to incorporate and I can create a design for you.  (For example, you might want a design representing health and growth or fertility.  Or beauty, luck, money, etc etc.)

Okay, if you were starting to think "maybe this isn't such a weird idea," let me make it weird for you again.  :)  I am a spiritual person, but my spirituality is based on nature.  You could call me a tree-hugger.  I would never push my ideas on anyone, so don't fear that I would even bring this up at a henna party unless it was a topic of interest!  That having been said, I believe in the power of the mind and of the natural energies that surround us.  I believe in channeling these energies and entreating them to work positively on our behalf.  I would be more than happy to put my skills as a spiritual healer of sorts to work, and give you (and baby) my "metaphysical blessing" while applying henna, based on your own desires and ideologies, if desired.  Of course, if this notion in any way upsets you or weirds you out, I would not bring it up or engage in these activities whatsoever.

Back to Henna.  I'll try not to bore you with the nitty-gritty details.  The stains last from 1-3 weeks, depending mostly on how long you leave the paste on and how warm it is.  It is made primarily from dried, crushed plant leaves.  I also have other forms of temporary body art available, including indigo (blue stains, not for pregnant women or children) that last 5-14 days, and tumeric (yellow stains that only last 2-3 days.)  I also like to embellish henna with purely temporary and topical face-painting techniques.  (In other words, I could color in your reddish-brown tattoo for a day with bright and shiny colors, and add rhinestone accents...)

Please feel free to contact me or post here with any questions.  As you've probably noticed, I love Henna and love talking about it!  Did I mention FREE enough?  :D

Best wishes,

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Through Upstate BirthNetwork, I coordinate a free monthly gathering of new and expectant mamas (and some papas) every fourth Saturday in Greenville at Earth Fare.  We usually have 10-15 people present. 

The event is called Blessingways and the purpose is to surround new famlies with wisdom and support.  We begin with a positive birth story from a local mom and then have a speaker.  Last summer, we had a henna artist who did small samples on hands, feet, bellies, (even a baby's bald head while he was nursing) while the speakers shared.  She did it for free but gave everyone a business card and talked about doing henna at baby showers or mother blessings.  It was a huge hit.  She has since moved to Florida...but if you are interested, pm me and I'll get it on our schedule.  :)

• Options
    It is against these boards to advertise....otherwise they'd be filled with advertising......
  • Options

I'm so sorry, all! 

It seems there is a fine line between trying to organize get-togethers and advertising.  I want to apologize to everyone if it seemed like I was advertising.  I don't understand what exactly on this post pushed the limits, but will respectfully bow to the board authorities and shut my mouth henceforth.

My intent was only to organize some fun get-togethers.

Best wishes to all,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"