Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Settle this debate

I think it's weird to go and have a beer alone after work.  T thinks it's totally normal.  Would you do that?  Would your DH?

Btw, HE wanted me to ask you guys. lol

Re: Settle this debate

• Options
    They do it in the movies LOL But no, I personally wouldnt.
  • Options

imageDani123:
    They do it in the movies LOL But no, I personally wouldnt.

I would NEVER do that.  Driving home from work, that would just never even cross my mind.  I guess it's more acceptable for guys.  A mom might get the side eye. lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alone? Never.
  • Options
    Nope, I wouldn't. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would never go someplace after work alone and have a beer.  WTF is the point in that?  If I am going to go someplace and have a drink, I want someone to shoot the shiit with.  I don't think DH would do this either.  I think a woman doing this would be given the side-eye MUCH quicker then a man doing this.
    imageimage
  • Options

At a bar? Abnormal.

At home? Fine.

Honestly, though, I think some guys just like the atmosphere of bars. I'm not sure what the appeal is, but some guys just like them. Like going to a hair salon for women, I guess.

And no, my DH doesn't do this. I don't think I've ever even been in a bar with him - ever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's not something I nor DH would do but neither of us thinks it's weird. I think you have to be super self-confident to do or go anywhere alone--especially a restaurant/bar or the movies.  Props to whoever can roll solo with no problems! :)
  • Options
    I think it's ok for a guy to go after work because if my DH did it would probably be to watch the game. I would never drink alone. Ever.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If it is the local hang out with familiar faces and known bar tenders, not too weird.  I don't think I (or my DH) would do that.  But it is because of our introverted personalities.  I can see that a people person would see it as perfectly normal.  I would have a beer at home by myself.  Is that different?

wow, i edited to fix some grammar problems  

• Options

weird? no. A possible symptom of a problem? Yes.

my DH is a recovering alcoholic. this is something he would do back in the day... "needing" to have a drink at any time = an issue.  There's nothing social about having a drink alone ... I'd question the need - not being weird or not.

I also think anyone who says they go to a bar and have ONE beer is kidding themselves --- one usually means 2, 3+, etc... and then you are talking about a drunk driving issue.

My DH quit drinking after he got a DUI and in an accident (luckily nobody was hurt)... that was 7.5 yrs ago.  Getting a dui FVCKS your world up -- and can really screw everyone in your family if you end up killing someone or yourself, obviously - so i'd have real issues with it... questioning this "one" beer thing.

• Options

It's not something I would personally do because I don't like beer all that much.

DH has done this, he makes beer as a hobby so it's easy for him to grab a glass and have one in the evening.  With him I think it's part of enjoying what he made. 

ETA: Umm I read it wrong.  I thought you meant having a drink alone at home.  HA!  No, neither of us would specifically stop somewhere alone to get a drink.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Aiden 10.17.07 Emma 07.15.10
  • Options

Alone? No. 

DH agrees. He'd go with company but not alone.

• Options
    I wouldn't. And neither would DH. I would be like WHAAAA?
  • Options

neither DH nor I would do this, but I really don't see any issue with it, if it is not a regular basis type thing.

I agree with pp - a bar is a guy thing.  If your guy is friendly, then there is a social aspect of it without too many ties.  If you go with friends, you are kinda reliant on them.  If you go by yourself, you can come/go as you want.  Talk to the bartender, watch whatever sport is on TV.

As long as he isn't that creepy lonely guy in the corner eyeing every chick, then no problem for me.

• Options

Well... I wouldn't think twice about going to Starbucks for a coffee after work, so I guess it's about the same. In fact, some nights I really could use a trip to Starbucks alone!!! I don't do the bar thing, but plenty of people do, and I don't necessarily think it means there's a problem. But I've never dealt with alcoholism like the pp, so I can't really say definitively.

DH wouldn't either, but we each get one night a week for ourselves (I go to yoga, he does whatever) and it's a blessing to be able to have your own schedule once in a while! Maybe it's just your DH's way of winding down and not having to come home right away - a way to retrieve some of that freedom from before kids, ya know?

• Options

imageStacieErin:
    Alone? Never.

This.

With friends?  Sure!

Alone?

The only reasons I can think of for most people drinking alone in a bar are:

1.  Alcohol abuse problem.

2.  Looking to get sum. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I wouldn't, and neither would DH.  I don't like bars really at all and DH wouldn't go alone he would just get a beer when he gets home...
  • Options

I guess I am weird because I would not find this strange.  When my husband was single he worked very long hours. Sometime he would take a break go, walk down the block, have a beer and catch up on journal articles.  Other times after would he would grab a beer and shoot a game of pool. He is not strange and he does not have a drinking problem.  Do people find this more acceptable if the person has a burger with their beer?

ETA:  We lived in a city so there was no driving involved, even after one beer. 

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Options
    I think that it's normal, once in awhile.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Seems odd when you can likely have better beer in the quiet of your own home.  I realize with 2 kids it might not be that quiet but that's why we normally enjoy ours after the kids go to bed.  And yes, I leave him be to do his own stuff when he wants.  So I wouldn't do it -- not my style and I'm way too cheap.  And alone, no friends?  Seems odd as bars are usually more social places.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    I think it's weird, too, and my DH would never do it.  If I ever got to the point with a drinking establishment that I could just walk in alone and sit down and feel comfortable, someone better call my girlfriends and drag me outta there!  We don't live at Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"