Connecticut Babies

Looking for small practice/personable OB in New Haven & Shoreline area

HI there,

If any of you ladies have ANY feedback, I would so appreciate it! This impending decision rules my brain day and night! All I know is I do not like my current OB/GYN practice. It was fine when it was just annual exams but now that I am expecting our first child, I just don't like the service there. It's a big place - I feel more like a number than a patient. All the calls go through the call center and you never get the same person -- or the same answer -- which is very unnerving!

I have heard two recommendations over and over in my area - OB GYN of North Haven (Dr Rath, Grosso, etc) and Obstetrics, Gynecology & Menopause Physicians, PC (Dr. Hanson, Cron, etc) The problem is one delivers at Yale and one at St Raphael's and I don't know which group, or hospital to go with. Initially I thought Yale, but everyone I talk to loves the group in North Haven so much.

All I know is I want to be comfortable and know that I am in good hands. Don't want to go through 16 drs and mid-wives like I do now...Anyone have any personal experiences with either?? Anyone have an advice on best way for me to decide??

Sorry so long. Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for small practice/personable OB in New Haven & Shoreline area

• I go to Asis OB/GYN (Dr Toni Asis, Dr Maria Asis, Dr. Sean Flaherty, Dr Ami Acharya), they have offices in New Haven, Hamden, and West Haven where I live. I had to see each of them at least once. Dr. Toni Asis delivered my daughter, he is fantastic! I like the practice b/c it is so personable and efficient. I delivered 5/11/10 at St. Raphaels (my practice also delivers at both hospitals and we found out the day I was in labor which hospital to go to). My experience in both the birthing unit and post partum at HSR was pretty good, had private rooms, attentive nurses, food was okay, and there was a Lactation consultant that visited me on my day of discharge. I took a breastfeeding prep class with Yale and found it lacking and I was not impressed with it at all. But, besides that encounter, I have heard that the Yale post partum floor is amazing.  And, obviously Yale would be the place for any high risk situations. It's a hard call but honestly, when you're in labor and in pain it's not a huge deal who is delivering you as long as you trust the practice as a whole. You could perhaps talk to the office manager about the styles of how the dr's practice, what their approaches are, etc...
  • I've had no issues w/ OB GYN of North Haven, the doctors and nurses are very helpful.  We were given the option of Yale or HSR w/ DS and they happened to be at HSR when I went into labor early.  I mostly go to the office in Hamden.  It's 45 minutes away from me b/c I was layed off and used to go from work.  GL w/ your decision!
    Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much for weighing in! The thought of not knowing where I am going to deliver until I am actually in labor kind of throws me for a loop...and the only reason why i am little hesitant about choosing...but maybe I am just thinking too much into it?
  • I am going to recommend Asis medical https://www.asis-medical.com/About/ Any of the docs there are AWESOME. They return calls, not nurses and they are highly regarded professionals by the Yale community as having great professionalism and great bedside manner.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I go to OB GYN in New Haven- Dr ZCron, Hansson etc that you mention.  I see Dr. Cron and I love her.  They deliver at Yale, they do have a long wait though I will warn you, I usually wait 45 to 60 mins for office visits.  I don't know if its like that everywhere or not.  I have also heard really good things about Dr. Asis as well. Good luck!
  • Do you need an OB/GYN or would you be comfortable with midwife care?  I know a couple awesome midwife practices in the New Haven area.
  • I see Dr. Sperana at Obstetric, Gynecology and Menopause. She's been great so far (although I am only nine weeks and this is my first). They have a location in New Haven, Guilford, and I believe Essex. I've also heard good things about Ronald Krauss (I believe he is a midwife there, spelling could be off). Hope this helps.
  • I would love to hear about any midwife groups that anyone would suggest.  I currently go to obst. gyn. and menopause group and don't have a specific dr. to see yet in that office.  I'm only 5 weeks along so I know I have some time to think about where I want to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"