TTC after 35
Options

NTTCR: Would you buy a house (perfect house; perfect price) that overlooked a cemetary?

We found a beautiful house today that fits all of our needs and the price is fantastic AND it's in one of the locations that we've really wanted to be in. The problem is that it overlooks a cemetary. 

The cemetary is kind of cool - there are just a few headstones.  It was a black cemetary and isn't used any longer, but is historically significant. 

We can probably hide the views into the cemetary on the first floor, but the MBR on the 2nd floor looks right at it (the cemetary is on a hill).  I guess we usually keep the windows covered in the MBR anyway, but how weird is it?  Do you think you could live with it?

TTC #1,
IUI #1: December 2008 - BFN
IVF #1: Microdose Lupron - July 2009; only got 1 egg; BFN
IVF #2: Natural IVF - Sept 2009; BFP!; D&C Nov. 2009
IVF #3: Natural IVF - ER: Feb 4, 2010 - 1 "M2" egg retrieved; ET: Feb 9; Beta#1 (19dpo): 2567; Beta #2: 6933; BFP w/ singleton w/strong hrtbt! DS born October 2010
TTC#2
IVF #4: Natural IVF - ER: Nov. 20, 2011; ET: Nov. 25, 2011; BFP! Beta#1 (19dpo): 1918; Saw hrtbt on 12/28/11!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NTTCR: Would you buy a house (perfect house; perfect price) that overlooked a cemetary?

• Options
    I work as a Designer for a new home builder and we always go over "resaleability" of the selections buyers choose. Will the next buyer of your home like the pink tile in bath 2? Probably not, but I'm a big believer in doing for you and not the next guy. That being said it's easier to change tile than moving the cemetery! I say if you are looking at the home as a place to raise your family and it's perfect for you then go for it. If it's for an investment then you may be gambling. Hope this helps GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• Options

My parent's house is across from a cemetary.  It is an older cemetary and the is rarley a funeral held.  We have never had a problem, my parent's always joke the people across the street are the quietest neighbors they have ever had.  After awhile you probably won't even notice the cemetary and if it is kept up it's a nice place to walk. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Nope. 

My brother lived in a condo and freaky weird stuff kept happening like he'd go out and come home to find the stereo turned on or stuff was moved around. There was a small clump of trees next to his building and one day he discovered some old graves (from the 1870s or so) there. Weird, right?   

I actually love looking at old cemeteries but would not live by one. Just my 2 cents. 

• Options
    jcathjcath member

I can't be objective b/c I took family portraits in a cemetetary. Seriously, I love the pictures.  I think people instinctually feel peace or feel fear - so realistically 50% of potential buyers wouldn't do it. 

How long would you envision staying? If long enough the house will gain value no matter what and if you won't be forced to sell in a quick time frame you'll find someone who loves the cemetery as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It would not bother me at all. I lived in an apartment once that overlooked a cemetery and it didn't bother me. Nice and quiet.

As a real estate agent, I can tell you that it will bother some buyers. So, you need to take that into consideration in making your decision. Your buyer pool when you go to sell will be limited to some extent. From a resale standpoint, I think it is a safer buy than buying on a busy street.

• Options

imageJilliansMoma:
    I work as a Designer for a new home builder and we always go over "resaleability" of the selections buyers choose. Will the next buyer of your home like the pink tile in bath 2? Probably not, but I'm a big believer in doing for you and not the next guy. That being said it's easier to change tile than moving the cemetery! I say if you are looking at the home as a place to raise your family and it's perfect for you then go for it. If it's for an investment then you may be gambling. Hope this helps GL!

Great advice. 

As for what I'd do...hmmm...dead people kinda freak me out. 

• Options
    OscarQOscarQ member
    I'd totally buy a house across from a cemetary.
  • Options
    Totally, but I'm kind of a freak and find cemeteries so fascinating; the older the better. I walk in the one that my mom and grandparents (including one set of great-grandparents) are buried at all the time. As far as the ghost are concerned (i know this is a big reason some don't want to live near them) I'm not convinced they exist so that wouldn't be a deterant for me.
  • Options
    Having a cemetery across the street wouldn't bother me at all and actually depending on how heavily populated the community is, I'd find a bonus. 
    TTC #1 since 9/07
    Dx MFI, AMA, Endo, AMH .16
    Lap 10/09 Removed endometrioma, stage IV endo and adhesions
    Lap 2/10 Endometrioma cysts & adhesions returned.
    Ivf #1 4/10 Antagonist, ET Cancelled.
    IVF #2 2/11 A/ACP+E2V C/P
    IVF #3 6/11 Letrozole/Antagonist BFN
    IVF #4 11/11 Low stim Antagonist BFN
    Lap 3/12 Lap & Selective HSG
    Many cycles of Letrozole and LP HCG w/TI and LDN
    IVF #5 8/12 Low stim BFN
    IUI #1 10/12 BFN br> S&PAIFW
  • Options
    It wouldn't bother me at all.  I'm one of those who finds cemetaries to be a peaceful place.  I actually think that has a lot to do with the fact that in the past ten years I frequently visited my grandparents graves and would stroll around and soak in how beautiful the cemetary truly was.  And now in that same cemetary I visit my dad often ( he is buried right next to his parents).  I find it comforting and peaceful.  But maybe, I might be in the minority there :)
    5 ANGELS IN HEAVEN ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -> miss m/c discovered on 4/6/09 at 9wks 3 days ( measured 6wks 1day ) m/c on 4/15/09 -> natural m/c on 8/27/09 at 8wks 1 day -> miss m/c discovered on 5/27/10 at 8wks 3 days ( measured 8wks ) m/c on 6/15/10 -> natural m/c on 1/27/11 at 10wks 3days -> natural m/c on 3/12/12 at 7wks ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options

If it was "perfect" then yes, I would.

if it was an active cemetary with a huge sign that said "new lots available, book now", then maybe I'd reconsider. I lived on the back of church lot gor years and years and got pretty used to all the goings on.

If it's perfect, then go for it.

TTC since July 2007 a year on our own, 7 IUIs spread out over 2 years, all BFN IVF attempt #1 - September - antagonist protocol, called off CD8 due too poor response IVF attempt #2 - November - called off on CD11 due to low estrogen IVF attempt #3 - started stims Jan 25th...converted/cancelled Jan 31st...SWITCHED BACK TO IVF Feb 3rd! ER Feb 7th...lets DO this! ET Feb 12th, Beta #1 141, Beta #2 356, u/s #1 hb 141 bpm, u/s at 7 weeks 1 day no hb, missed m/c. So sad. IVF #4 scheduled for June 2011, last chance, this is it
  • Options
    I think the fact that it is so nice and priced so low tells you that, should you go to sell it someday, you will have problems.  If it's your forever home and/or you know that you won't need to ever relocate for work, it might not be such a big deal, though.  Can you plant a natural screen to camouflage your neighbors a little so at least you are more comfortable with your view?  If not,and it's not your forever home then for sure I wouldn't buy it.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    having watched too many episodes of Paranormal State, I would think hard about it.  It would depend on if I got a peaceful or creepy vibe.  I wonder if you could ask to spend the night there as a trial run?  see if you feel ok in the house at night?  In general I think cemeteries are peaceful, but you never know.
  • Options

Hi!  Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  It would not bother me at all to live across or next to a cemetery.  I lived in upstate NY for 8 years and there are old cemeteries all over the place, so its not much a resale issue out there either.

The one thing I would be concerned about for myself would be if you are getting your drinking water from a well or from the city.  If you are getting it from the well, I would have the water tested and have someone confirm the gradient of the groundwater to flow to be sure you are "uphill" from the cemetery groundwater-wise.  There are a lot of toxic chemicals that can leech from cemeteries, especially older ones, that you don't want to get into your drinking water.

As far as resale, if you are planning on living in this house at least 10 years and don't foresee a need to move out of the area and sell quickly, then maybe I wouldn't worry about it.  But the cemetery will probably put a permanent cap on the value of your home because there will always be a good number of people that would not be interested because of the cemetery.   On the plus side, very quiet neighbors and no future construction next door.

Good luck! 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    imageizzourclue:

Hi!  Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  It would not bother me at all to live across or next to a cemetery.  I lived in upstate NY for 8 years and there are old cemeteries all over the place, so its not much a resale issue out there either.

The one thing I would be concerned about for myself would be if you are getting your drinking water from a well or from the city.  If you are getting it from the well, I would have the water tested and have someone confirm the gradient of the groundwater to flow to be sure you are "uphill" from the cemetery groundwater-wise.  There are a lot of toxic chemicals that can leech from cemeteries, especially older ones, that you don't want to get into your drinking water.

As far as resale, if you are planning on living in this house at least 10 years and don't foresee a need to move out of the area and sell quickly, then maybe I wouldn't worry about it.  But the cemetery will probably put a permanent cap on the value of your home because there will always be a good number of people that would not be interested because of the cemetery.   On the plus side, very quiet neighbors and no future construction next door.

Good luck! 

I CHANGE my response! Drinking water?!? WTF?!?!  I vote no.

::hee-bee jee-bees::

TTC since July 2007 a year on our own, 7 IUIs spread out over 2 years, all BFN IVF attempt #1 - September - antagonist protocol, called off CD8 due too poor response IVF attempt #2 - November - called off on CD11 due to low estrogen IVF attempt #3 - started stims Jan 25th...converted/cancelled Jan 31st...SWITCHED BACK TO IVF Feb 3rd! ER Feb 7th...lets DO this! ET Feb 12th, Beta #1 141, Beta #2 356, u/s #1 hb 141 bpm, u/s at 7 weeks 1 day no hb, missed m/c. So sad. IVF #4 scheduled for June 2011, last chance, this is it
  • Options
    imageJDG2007:
    imageizzourclue:

Good luck! 

I CHANGE my response! Drinking water?!? WTF?!?!  I vote no.

::hee-bee jee-bees::

Sorry to scare you.  It would only be a concern if the water is from a local well.  If you are getting it from the city, no worries. 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    I saw your post and just had to chime in....On the other side of the fence from my backyard is a cemetery. When I bought the place, the way I looked at it, the neighbors couldn't get any quieter than that! And after years of listening to apartment neighbors' TVs humming, music vibrating all hours of the night, etc., it seemed darn near ideal to me! I'd say go for it, myself, but I also went to college on a campus that had a Civil War era cemetery on it (my freshman year dorm was right across the street) so that kind of thing has never bugged me.
  • Options
    I'd think the lack of neighbors would be a bonus.  And you get a nice, green view as well as a piece of history nearby.  I'd do it.
    After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"