D.C. Area Babies

successful induction stories??

So, my due date is tomorrow and doc wants to induce Tuesday if there's no action by that time.  Baby is getting big (est at 8lbs now) and I'm just done at this point.  But I'm only at 1cm and 50% effaced.  Has anyone had a successful induction that they can share?  I'm still hoping for a vaginal birth, but I know the chances get lower if I have to be induced.  I have a heavy schedule of acupuncture appts between now and Tuesday to hopefully get things started....  Any words of advice/wisdom would be appreciated!  TIA!!

Re: successful induction stories??

• I have been successfully induced three times.  The first time I was 38 weeks but not dilated or effaced at all.  I had PIH so they wanted to get the baby out since my bp was increasing.  My OB used a foley catheter to start the dialation then pitocin.  I've found that this is not used very often.  I thought it worked great-much better and quicker then cervadil for me.  It really wasn't too painful until they broke my water.  Then the contractions really started.  I planned on having an epidural and should have asked for it when they broke my water (I did in the 2 subsequent births).  Once the epidural kicked in the pain really wasn't that bad.  

The first induction was 12 hours from checking into the hospital until delivery.  I ended up pushing for about 10-15 minutes-DD was a smaller baby (6lbs 13oz).  They did have to use the vacuum to help getting DD out since her heart rate started dropping.  

• rnin02rnin02 member
    My induction was pitocin only because I was 2 cm dilated, so no cervidil. It went very well! Boring in the beginning, we got there at 7:30 or so, and things didn't start getting painful at all till after they broke my water (2pm ish?). I got some IV pain meds around 8:30pm, and was ready to cave in get my epidural around 10:45pm, but when my OB checked me I was almost 10 cm, so I was able to tough it out. It was a long day, but it went very smoothly, no problems for me or baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 39 wks 5 days due to GD.  From arrival at the hospital to delivery, it was 12 hours.  I started at 2 cm dilated (don't know how effaced I was).  Overall, it was a fairly good experience.  I waited until 6 cm to get an epidural and still wasn't completely overwhelmed by the contractions, despite being on pitocin.
  • I was induced at 41 weeks and while I was technically in labor for a long time (27 hours), I was only in any real discomfort for a very short period of time and I did not have to have a c/s. I was apprehensive about being induced, so I understand how you might be feeling, but it all worked out just great for me :-)
  • I was induced at 38 weeks, 2 days for pre-e.  Absolutely nothing was happening despite the cervadil and pitocin, so the OB broke my water.  It worked and I starting dilating.  That evening I successfully delivered DD after 20 minutes of pushing.

• I was induced with both DS and DD.  With DS I had a vaginal delivery with epi and with DD I had a vaginal delivery without meds (well except pitocin both times).  I didn't have any issues with either delivery and while I would have loved to gone through labor on my own from start to finish I can't complain about my deliveries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • I was induced at 37 weeks due to Cholestasis. From start to finish, my labor lasted 28 hours. I did not end up with a C-section although I came as close as possible. Lots of pushing and they ended up doing a vacuum extract because I was so pooped. But, I'm really happy they didn't rush for the C-section b/c I think another doctor could have easily made that decisions. I was comfortable until I really had to push--doc said she wanted to cut the epidural b.c I wasn't "pushing efficiently." That wasn't cool.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was losing water at 40 weeks, was not at all dilated, and so I was induced three days after EDD.  I got the cervidal at night and woke up with no progress.  Pitocin around 7:30 a.m.  And was doing fine, except the nurses kept making me lay on the back because they couldn't find the heartbeat otherwise.  Laying on my back made the contractions really hurt.  I took the epidural early because of that (around 1 p.m. at 3 cm dilated).  At 6:30 p.m. I was completely dialated and effaced.  I pushed for 2 hours and everyone said I was doing really well, but she just wasn't budging, so the dr. used the vacuum.  She popped out fine and dandy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced at 40wk 2 days (for fear DS was getting too big).  I was 1cm and 50% effaced as well, and DS had not dropped (yay for heartburn!!).  I went in the night before for cervadil (not to stay).  The cervadil did nothing except cause a few cramps.  The next day the potocine was started  at 6:30 am.  It was slow....very slow.  I had an epidural around 11am so Dr could break my water...and nothing happened....

Around 7pm I was still only 1 cm.  There was talk of c-section, but my very wise OB decided to wait a bit longer.  By 8pm I had contractions that broke through the epidural and I went from 1cm to 10 in about an hour.  Yes that sucked.  I felt ready to push by 10pm, DS was born at 11:07pm.  I think having a doc that wasn't c-section happy was a good thing.  I had a great team of nurses that kept me focused and motivated.  I know several other new moms that had similar experiences, and didn't have to have a c-section.  I think you just need to work with your Dr.  (I am not a big birth plan person - my only plan was to have a happy healthy baby :)  ) 

PS  I am glad I got the epidural!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced at 39 weeks due to baby size and history of large babies (over 10lbs).  I had cerevidil put in, sent home after an hour because nothing had happened and planned to come back the next morning for pitocin.  Well about 4 hours after I got home, I was having contractions 4 minutes apart, went back to the hospital, admitted...still only 1 cm. Had an epi bc my contractions were so strong they said I would never make it to 10 with contractions so close together (I was planning on an epi anyways).  This was about 9pm...I labored all night and DS was born at 7:09 the next morning, with no c/s.  I did push for just over 2 hours though but everything was pretty textbook for an induction.

good luck!! 

• I've been induced for both pregnancies.

#1 was on my due date for pre-e (I had no progress when I was admitted).  Cervadil was inserted the night before, but it caused my water to break about 15 minutes after it was inserted so it was immediately taken out.  Contractions started but stopped in the middle of the night so I was given pitocin in the morning.  DS was born 4 hours later. 

For #2 I was induced at 41.5 weeks (I was 1 cm dilated and only "maybe" 20% effaced...the baby was still sitting high with no plans on moving).   Pitocin was started at 7:45 in the morning.  It was thought that I may have a fast labor due to #1, but it turns out that the 4 hour labor was most likely due to pre-e.  I finally started feeling contractions at 1:00 and had the epidural at 2:00.  Then nothing until 5:20 when I finally started feeling the need to push.  Baby was born at 5:57 p.m. after one push. :)

I was really hoping to go into labor on my own with this one, but she had no plans on going anywhere soon.  But I thought both of my inductions went really well.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Induced at 41 weeks due to gestational diabetes. LO was sitting high up, no dilation and maybe 10% effaced.

Cervidil the night before.

Pitocin started at 7am.

Epi at 1:00 pm.

Pushing at 9:00 pm.

Baby at 9:45 pm!

Was nervous about being induced but ultimately wanted to do the best thing for a healthy baby. Everything turned out great!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was induced at exactly 39 weeks with both kids. Wasn't dilated more than 1 cm either time. Got cervidil at noon the day before. Started pitocin at 6am that day. DD (8lb, 6oz) was born by 5:30pm after about 40 min of pushing, DS (8lbs, 9 oz) was born by 7pm after about 15 minutes of pushing - both vaginal with no issues at all.

Both times the Dr on call told me I'd need a c-section - he was wrong!

So it can be done - good luck!

• imagescorpio72:

I have been successfully induced three times.  The first time I was 38 weeks but not dilated or effaced at all.  I had PIH so they wanted to get the baby out since my bp was increasing.  My OB used a foley catheter to start the dialation then pitocin.  I've found that this is not used very often.  I thought it worked great-much better and quicker then cervadil for me.  It really wasn't too painful until they broke my water.  Then the contractions really started.  I planned on having an epidural and should have asked for it when they broke my water (I did in the 2 subsequent births).  Once the epidural kicked in the pain really wasn't that bad.  

The first induction was 12 hours from checking into the hospital until delivery.  I ended up pushing for about 10-15 minutes-DD was a smaller baby (6lbs 13oz).  They did have to use the vacuum to help getting DD out since her heart rate started dropping.  

Ditto this except I was 37 weeks. they started with the pit that morning at 7am and by 3pm I pushed my boy out in 9 minutes. Super easy! 

• With DD1 I was induced at 40w2d. Like you, I really wanted a vaginal birth (actually I wanted a vaginal med-free birth). I talked with my dr a lot and she knew what I wanted. My biggest fear was that after they broke my water, nothing would happen and the baby would have to come out one way or another within 24 hours, leading to a c-sect. She and I agreed that we would start with pitocin and not breaking my water so that if labor didn't start we wouldn't be under any time constraints. That was several days before my induction. I had been 1-2 cm dilated and about 50-75% effaced for a few weeks.

When I got to the hospital and they hooked me up to monitors, they found that I was having regular contractions, but not feeling them at all. I was also almost completely effaced. She said that since I was already in early labor she felt very confident that it would be a successful induction (you can ask about your bishop score) and recommended breaking my water. They did that at 8am, started pit at 9am, and DD was born at 12:10 after 10 minutes of pushing. Honestly, it would have been even faster but I had to wait to push until the dr got there - most excruciating 20 minutes of my life was having to push and being told not to!! So, start to finish it was 4 hours and med-free except for pitocin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"