North Carolina Babies

C-section mamas

Are you trying for a VBAC next time? 

What are your deciding factors?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-section mamas

• I don't think I will try.  I want to but I am scared.

I am scared if I try for a VBAC and end up with a csection anyway, that I will have to be put to sleep for it (like last time, because I could feel them cutting me).  I think I will be more comfortable with a scheduled csection.  DH is much more on board with this too, because our experience was pretty traumatizing.

I had a LEEP done probably 5-6 years ago for abnormal paps.  I went to my yearly ob appt last week, with a new doc (I switched to be closer to home).  I saw a midwife, and we were talking about VBAC for the future.  She said the LEEP is the reason I wouldn't dialate past 5cm, and it was likely to happen again.  She recommended a scheduled c-section next time around.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope. I have too narrow pelvic bones (as did my mom and 2 sisters-all had c-sections) so I have to have the c-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm kinda torn on the subject. It would be much easier logistics-wise to have another c-section. Our parents don't live close so they would both need to travel some to get here. Planning the birthday would make things much easier. 

However. I might consider a VBAC because my recovery was pretty tough and I will have to take care of Keira as well. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I was all for trying VBAC when I found out I was pg until I talked to my OB.  She is the one that actually delivered Ella and she said I was just too small in my hips (which seems odd, but whatever).  She said if I did want to go that route - she would support me 100% b/c she is pro VBAC in the right circumstances, but this one is not right in her professional opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My current plan is to schedule a c-section for my due date. If I go into labor earlier, great, we will try it. (I went 42 weeks before induced) If not, then c-section it is. I will not be induced again - pitocin is the devil.

However, if my OB feels it is  safest to just go with a c-section, that is what we will do.

PortraitBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm on the fence. However, I don't think my current OB-Gyn does them, so my decision might be made for me, assuming I stay with them (which I plan to).

I kind of feel that since I was almost 2 weeks overdue, then still had to be induced, then still never progressed past 4 cm, I would likely end up with another c/s anyway. Plus, there is something attractive about being able to plan more (with another child to care for, that could be nice), with a scheduled c/s. My c/s recovery was a breeze, so that's good too.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• imageMrsHughesNC:

I'm on the fence. However, I don't think my current OB-Gyn does them, so my decision might be made for me, assuming I stay with them (which I plan to).

I kind of feel that since I was almost 2 weeks overdue, then still had to be induced, then still never progressed past 4 cm, I would likely end up with another c/s anyway. Plus, there is something attractive about being able to plan more (with another child to care for, that could be nice), with a scheduled c/s. My c/s recovery was a breeze, so that's good too.

wow. i could have written this. (but my OB does VBACs)
    PortraitBabyFruit Ticker
  • Right now? I say no. I guess since I went into labor naturally and had contractions and kind of got that part of the experience I don't feel jipped there. Some of the birth experiences I have been reading today on the board (like getting to hold the baby seconds after he/she was born) make me a little sad, but I don't know if I'd be motivated to do VBAC. I'm nowhere near wanting to think about this in a realistic way...
  • I am not considering a VBAC.  I tried L&D and gave it my best shot and now I'm going to enjoy getting to know exactly when my next LO is arriving and how.  C/S isn't so bad, but the aftermath is definitely harder (or seemsto be harder) than vaginal birth.  But I think the 2nd time around might be easier to deal with since I know a little of what to expect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • After laboring all day and pushing for almost 3 hours with Camryn, I would have loved to experience pushing my baby out.  But it just didn't happen.  She wasn't in the right position and my Dr. said my pelvis has a weird shape to it.  After talking with her again early in my pregnancy we both decided it was very likely to happen again and decided on a scheduled c-section. 

Mine was scheduled for 39 weeks exactly.  It was so nice knowing when it was planned, although I was paranoid that I would go into labor sooner. 

In the end I was very happy with my decision because Caylee was a full pound bigger than Camryn (8.5 lbs) and was born 11 days earlier than Camryn.  She may have been 9 lbs if I had waited to go into labor and try for a VBAC. 

The recovery with the planned c-section for me was a lot better.  I was feeling pretty good after about 1 week, as opposed to 3 or so with Camryn.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• I discussed this with my doctor at my 6 week pp checkup. She said that she didn't see any issues with me having a VBAC, but if and when the time comes, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'd love to, since I had hoped to deliver Wesley vaginally and didn't get the opportunity, but at the same time, the c-section recovery wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. Plus, knowing when your kid will be born (barring unforseen circumstances) is always nice...

• I would love to. I feel very cheated out of a true birth experience and felt things could have progressed differently. I have not talked to my dr. about it, but if they feel its possible I would hire a doula/midwife to assist me through birth.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I briefly talked with my Dr. at my yearly checkup and she said that we can talk abotu it again when the time comes and they are open to trying but based on my csection and it being that DS was sunny side up and the shape of my pelvis she also has a feeling that my body could force any child I have to turn that way because of my pelvis shape. so i dont know if I want to have to go through 30 hours of labor again and then end up with a section...though i had a quick and easy recovery i know it would be even easier if i didnt labor 30 hours before.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I sort of doubt I will try for VBAC.  DS has little movement and scored really low on his Bio Physical Profile u/s and they suspect my placenta was giving out.  I'm pretty sure my dr. will want to schedule a c-section prior to my due date for any future children.

My recovery has been pretty good, so I'm not opposed to it, but I do feel slightly cheated that I will more than likely never experience a true contraction or the feeling of holding my baby within minutes of being born and nursing right away.  

• AnneNCAnneNC member

I had a similar experience as some of you did (I didn't respond to the other poll yet).  I was induced at 41 wks 2 days, took Pitocin for 10-11 hours, I had dialated to 5 cm., had an epi after they broke my water, and was getting very sick from all the drugs.  My OB said I could continue to labor and see if I progressed, or just go for the c/s.  I opted for the c/s because I kept throwing up and I didn't want to keep getting sick for who knows how many more hours and then try to push.

I am torn on the VBAC issue.  I definitely feel like I was robbed of a good birth experience and that was my feelings on induction from the start.  They estimated DD would be a pretty big baby for my frame, and that was about right --she was 8 lbs 10 oz.  Obvs. you cannot stay pregnant forever, sometimes you just have to go the induction route!  :( 

Anywho.....even though the process was a bit traumatic, I ended up having a pretty decent recovery from the c/s.  Looking back on it, I am unhappy that I didn't get to hold DD for about 90 mins. after she was born....however, I nursed her shortly after that so I guess I nursed her @ 2 hours after she was born, which pleases me and we went on to have a great nursing relationship! 

We will have to see how everything goes next time (maybe!) .... and what my OB says about the possibility of a VBAC. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"